HybridZ

electric fan help needed

hi guys,

i have a small question about electric fans, since the space between my new rad and my crank pully is very tight, i'm thinking about getting a new electric fan, i noticed on sites that they say pull or push type, what is pull type and what is push type?

if the fan is mounted between the rad and the engine, what type should i have to flow the air toward the engine? and if mounted between the rad and the frontend, what type is needed in this case?

thanks,

P.S. does anybody know if they make slim Efans?

Cut the wires so that it includes the plug.

I bought 3 Taurus fans for $20 each. When I got home I discovered that none of them worked.....until I eliminated the plugs. The wires inside the plugs had internally corroded. This was my experience and may not have happened to others. I'm just saying don't discard the fan when you connect it with the original plug because you may only have to eliminate the plug to make it work. Once I installed the Taurus fan my TTChevy engine never overheated again.

thanks guys for the info,

this is a photo to show how close my rad to the pullies

DSC00394.jpg

i'll have to check tomorow but we dont have alot of tauruses here in kuwait, its not really easy to find one but i'll try, what do you guys think about the benz's dual pusher type fans?

That is much further forward than my engine. Then again that doesn't look like a standard small block cheby with JTR mounts.

I do have chevy small block and am wondering if that taurus two speed fan will keep my engine cool in the blistering heat of Phoenix, AZ (mine is a 93 taurus fan up against an arizona z car radiator, almost perfect fit). It is supposed to be 110 degrees tomorrow. I will let you know. By the way I have ac as well. We shall see if everything works the way it is supposed to.

I always thought if I really had problems cooling my engine off I would go back to a mechanical fan since they pull so many cfms.

Where in Kuwait are you? I think your temp conversion is a little off. Kuwait city is calling 115 degrees for a high with blowing sand (I thought that blowing sand part was funny, but it is what I really read). This week you have a steady 116 degrees for a high.

How come we never get blowing sand in our weather reports?

Im not trying to jack the thread but is it possible to reverse the wires on a fan from a taurus to turn it into a pusher?

Thanks

Probably not. The newer fans have a blade design that is optimized for one direction of flow. I doubt it would work as well in the opposite rotation. But it might not be too bad.

BTW, what mounts for the engine did you use? Is it a set-back, JTR mounting, or something more like the old Scarab or John's Cars mounting?

Probably not. Electric motors of that type usually don't have a preferred direction. However, if there is a diode in the wiring internally (I don't think there is on the Taurus fan motor, but not sure), then wiring it backwards will be a problem for the diode.

A search (Search -> Advanced Search) on "Taurus fan", limited to the V8Z forums, came up with this: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99700&highlight=taurus+fan, among others.

That help any?

If not, maybe one of the other hits from that search might.

Cheers -- Gary

Search is your friend.

hi guys,

well i installed everything now and converted my Efan to a pusher type (switching wires), its nicely installed in front of the radiator. i'm not sure about this but the air is cooling the rad only, no air travels through the rad to the engine, is that ok ?

hi guys,

well i installed everything now and converted my Efan to a pusher type (switching wires), its nicely installed in front of the radiator. i'm not sure about this but the air is cooling the rad only, no air travels through the rad to the engine, is that ok ?

Puller fans are far more efficient than pusher fans (I don't know the specific dynamics of why, but there is a great deal of discussion regarding this here and other sites on the Internet). It looks like you have plenty of room to use a puller in your installation if you decide to switch back.

Some fans not will also require flipping the blades themselves as they are specifically designed to work in one direction. The air should be able to travel through the radiator, so you need to determine why it won't. When you changed it to a pusher did you notice that it moved less air?