HybridZ

Update on #248

dat240zg

Well, it's been an eventful year as far as the Z's go. I just realized that the pics of me cleaning out #248 were almost a year old!

The past year has just been collecting parts and pulling things together. As it sits now, #248 is about a month from being done/painted/reassembled.

Thought I'd drop a few pics for you guys to look at. The pics should be going up on the body shop site (thehackshack.net), but here are a few that I've shot.

Cleaning up:

248_Cleanup.jpg

Stripped and ready for the media blaster:

248_Resto_001.jpg

248_Resto_004.jpg

Early Progress:

DSC03640.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

DSC03634.jpg

Lots of little details are happening: Car has been cleaned up: side marker lights are gone, firewall smoothed, joints re-leaded, holes filled in engine bay, roll cage is now in, spare tire mount has been removed for custom subwoofer and the list goes on....

Getting excited!

Serial Number is 000248.

I'm getting pretty pumped about it - the suspension gets back tomorrow from coilover perch/powdercoating. It's actually going to be fun putting a car back together that has fresh paint and no 1/4" thick layer of greese/grime dirt built up!

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a few more pics of the restoration that I wanted to post up.

Camber plates going in:

143-4371_IMG.jpg

143-4372_IMG.jpg

143-4386_IMG.jpg

Undercoating sprayed:

143-4399_IMG.jpg

New Wheels:

lrg_WeaponGM.jpg

Pretty much all of the parts are back from the powdercoater and so the suspension subassemblies will be going back together this weekend.

Had a "beat my head against the wall" moment last weekend. I had gotten the bushings pressed out of the front and rear control arms and when I went to go reassemble everything I realized that the machine shop had left the metal sleeves in. So I did a little searching here and a couple of other places, and proceeded to go at the sleeves with a hacksaw. A good 20 minutes or so later, I hadn't made very much practice, so I got out the sawzall (you can see where this is going) and attempted to make a partial cut that I would finish with the hacksaw. I thought that I had kept out of the control arm metal, but didn't and wasted a good, newly powdercoated set of front and rears. My wife, responding to my ticked-off-ness said "I take it that you weren't supposed to cut your a- arms, right?" Some of the cuts weren't too far into the metal, but I don't want to risk any metal failures.

So....back to the parts car, tear out the suspension from #248, take everything apart again, this time make sure that the machine shop presses out the bushings and sleeves then back to the powdercoater.....2 steps forward, one back.

On a cool note, I finally got my new wheels, a little wider so that I can run 245's in the back.

My Konig Imagine wheels that were on the car will be going up for sale (brand new, 17x7, 4x114.3 with adapters).

Hope to get a shot or two of the car with the cage installed to post.

Bryan

Honestly, I went pretty mild. The wheels are 17x8's, 5x114.3 42mm offset. They're not too heavy and with 245/45's on the back, should fill out the wheel well pretty nicely. Sommers is supposed to come over and we're going to fit one up to get an idea.

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Well, time for an update! I got the car back from the body shop on Wednesday, with everything from the firewall forward finish painted and the interior and roll cage painted.

Since I got it back, I've gotten the front and rear suspension remounted and the sound insulation done throughout the car. Over the next week, the body shop will be finishing the doors, hood and fenders and I'll be sending the car back. I'm gettin pumped! The color turned out incredible!

Here's a few pics of the car:

Front_Suspension_with_old_wheels.JPG

Roll_Cage_Wide.JPG

Engine_Bay2.JPG

While the car was at the bodyshop, I took the time to reassemble the suspension subassemblies so that when I got the body back, it was just a matter of mounting them up.

I ended up going with one of the Motorsport steering racks and they seem to be the real deal. Nice and tight.

The only thing that I'm kind of kicking myself for is not having thought out/planned out the rear camber plates. The finished product is really nice, but it wasn't until I re-mounted the suspension that I realized that there is no way of sealing out the weather from getting thrown up in the strut tower.

More pics to follow!

Bryan

Wouldn't it be more effective to have the roll hoop braces go directly to the strut towers, rather than the bar that joins the strut towers?

I bet the guys at classiczcar.com are cringing at what you are doing to #248 :)

That's why there is a HYBRIDZ!!!!

Tom

Actually, that's what I kept thinking. Weird thing was that when I finally talked about the project, the majority of people were ok (not that it matters). When I got the car, a lot of the parts that make it valuable for a stock restoration were gone, so it wasn't like I was "ruining" a complete low vin.

I'm just pumped that the end is in sight....I, uh, think.... This weekend the plan is for the motor and tranny to go back in for the last time. Now that the fatmat is in and done, I can start on the wiring. The car should be back for final coat in about a week and a half. Final paint scheme should be stunning!

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Woo Hoo!!!!! Finally get to post some pics from the booth! Final paint was sprayed on Friday and Saturday.

Without anymore talk...here's the results:

147-4798_IMG.jpg

147-4800_IMG.jpg

148-4801_IMG.jpg

More pics to follow. Car is now being rubbed down and cleared. Should be ready to come back to me on Friday.

FINALLY!!!

BTW, the colors are Mercedes Pewter Effect and Porsche Basalt Black Pearl.