HybridZ

This Holset battle station is armed and fully operational!

nish

Just a little thread to announce the success and pseudo completion of my turbo conversion. I couldn't have done it without this site, thanks to those who run it.

I have added a Holset HY35 to my stock N42 L28, gritty details can be seen here - NA to HY35 build diary

I can highly recommend this turbo, it seems like a perfect match to the l28.

BigPhil, you were definitely my inspiration, though I hope to keep mine together longer :).

I'm currently running 10PSI and that coupled with 8.3 CR and the HY35's efficiency leaves me well pleased. I have more tuning to do but the thing is impressive already. I can't wait to get some sort of benchmark. So far I only have the logs to go by. They show that stomping 3rd at 50mph turns into 90mph in 4 seconds.

Here is a run down of what came together in this build:

Stock N42 block/N47 head

2003 Holset HY35W

6"x18"x3" vertical intercooler

3" mandrel turbo back exhaust

Megasquirt2 with EDIS ignition

450cc DSM injectors

LC1 wideband

I'll post some kill stories and such as things go on.

Dude, I love the heat shields.I have to do me one too...I bought a blanket but hate to cut a hole for the wastgate act.... I have almost the same setup..Are those the ford injectors? 38lbs? Mine are and that blue color. Mine did great till I had some 25psi detonation problems...haha...Good work

Thanks for the kind words.

gearheadstik: those are 450cc DSM injectors, now I realize that wasn't mentioned anywhere else.

cygnusx1: we're going to have to do some information sharing on MSII tuning

I'm going to try and share any insights I learn along the way that go against traditional Z thought. Like how I can be pig rich (if I so choose) at 6k and 10 psi with the old stock fuel pump. I have a better one but haven't needed it yet.

Thanks Prox.

Last night I felt pretty fast. There is a 4 lane road near me with a 6% grade that lasts for about 3/4 mile. I was pulling out at the bottom of the hill from a side road. Before I was even half way up the hill I was passing the last car that had come by at a 100 mph. The Z was going as fast up that hill as it does on a flat.

Wee

Do you holset guys find the turbo pretty laggy? first boost up and during shifts? at what RPM are you getting say 15psi of boost? I have started researching turbo's for when it is time for me to upgrade mine.. I really like how I get 15psi in my stock T3 by 25-2800rpms. and during shifts.. it boosts back up very quick.. Lets hear some Holset Data..

Shhhh, don't talk like that, you'll get TonyD on you about boost threshold.

I looked through my logs and couldn't find anywhere that I was trying to boost much below 3000. It takes ~1.5 sec to reach 12 psi from 3000 rpm vacuum based on current logs. From memory, I don't think I get more than 7psi too much below 3000. However, after about 3k it's like a runaway freight train right up to the rev limiter. I'm curious now for logs on the low end. I'll stand on 5th at 2500 rpm and see what I get.

Shhhh, don't talk like that, you'll get TonyD on you about boost threshold.

I looked through my logs and couldn't find anywhere that I was trying to boost much below 3000. It takes ~1.5 sec to reach 12 psi from 3000 rpm vacuum based on current logs. From memory, I don't think I get more than 7psi too much below 3000. However, after about 3k it's like a runaway freight train right up to the rev limiter. I'm curious now for logs on the low end. I'll stand on 5th at 2500 rpm and see what I get.

I haven't gotten mine up and running yet (I'll have a very similar setup) but I am guessing that 10psi on that Holset will feel just as strong as 15psi on the stock T3.. would that be a fair statement?

wigenOut-S30,

Here is some data on boost threshold for my setup:

Flooring it at 2500 rpm

2500 = 4psi

2600 = 5psi

2700 = 6psi

2800 = 7.5psi

2900 = 8psi

3000 = 9psi

3100 = 10psi

The wastegate was set to 10 psi. I think you would have to wait until 3500 rpm to see 15 psi. These numbers would probably improve with an EBC. The response between shifts is very quick if you're shifting where the next gear leaves you above 3500 (and I would think you would be when driving hard).

The power builds in a nice linear fashion and lets me hammer each gear after 1st without cooking the tires too bad. More is better, but this is nice currently since I'm operating inside of what the tires can handle (215/60/14).

The Mega Log Viewer lets you put in your drive train ratios to display MPH. I logged a full effort blast through the gears and found the following:

0-60 mph = ~5 sec. (the tail end of second gear)

0-100 mph = ~ 12 sec. (the beginning of fourth)

I'd like to see those times lower and I think there is a little more to squeeze out of this setup yet.

wigenOut-S30,

Here is some data on boost threshold for my setup:

Flooring it at 2500 rpm

2500 = 4psi

2600 = 5psi

2700 = 6psi

2800 = 7.5psi

2900 = 8psi

3000 = 9psi

3100 = 10psi

The wastegate was set to 10 psi. I think you would have to wait until 3500 rpm to see 15 psi. These numbers would probably improve with an EBC. The response between shifts is very quick if you're shifting where the next gear leaves you above 3500 (and I would think you would be when driving hard).

The power builds in a nice linear fashion and lets me hammer each gear after 1st without cooking the tires too bad. More is better, but this is nice currently since I'm operating inside of what the tires can handle (215/60/14).

The Mega Log Viewer lets you put in your drive train ratios to display MPH. I logged a full effort blast through the gears and found the following:

0-60 mph = ~5 sec. (the tail end of second gear)

0-100 mph = ~ 12 sec. (the beginning of fourth)

I'd like to see those times lower and I think there is a little more to squeeze out of this setup yet.

Thanks very much for the data.. thats very helpfull!!..

• 5 weeks later...