HybridZ

subaru r160 diff

madkaw

I have been searching and I cannot find where it is stated the weights of the different diffs-r200,r180 and r160. I know there is a significant difference but can't find the numbers.

I might have a line on some r160lsds and I am gathering info so if you have any i would appreciate.Any issues with seals or fitment of stubs?

Would there be any interest from the members in these type diffs??

I have them in two of my 240Zs. To bolt in you need to remove the R160's side stub shafts. They are retained by a PITA bolt requiring a very thinwall 8mm socket that will probably break. The easy way is to cut the shaft with a cut off wheel to access the bolt. Then withdraw the shaft and replace with stock 240Z stubs that have the flange to bolt the halfshaft to. The nose flange will work with a shorter driveshaft or swap it with the stock R180 one, but that requires removing the difficult retaining nut and maybe a puller. I have run one 70K hard miles behind a hot street L28 so they are tough. I would not expect it to hold up to hard drag style launches. They are considerably lighter than a R180. The LSD diffs have a big silver "LSD" sticker on them. The ones you want came as options in early to mid 80's Subarus and are 3.7:1. A few 411:1 LSDs are out there, but rare. The clutch pack from a 3.7 r160 will fit a 4.11 r160 but requires special bolts for the ring gear.

thanks for the reply. I knew they were lighter but wasn't sure how much. It seems to me it is the best deal for wanting a LSD in a Z ,short of a V-8 -Z. I have read the archives and cannot find anyhting negative about these diffs except the small area for gear oil which could lead to heat problems. For an everyday driver with a modified Z it seems the right way to go.

Will the driveshaft (front)yokes on the the r160,180,200 longnose diffs all interchange????.

I know the Z31 longnose needs the yoke swapped. Not sure on the others, I am 99% that the 510/240/260/280/280ZX all work. There were different bolt sizes in some of the 280's too, but they still will bolt up.

85-86 XT 4WD

86-87 GL 4WD

86-91 Loyale/GL 4WD

88-91 GL and XT-6 4WD

Look at all the above. Remember it was frequently and OPTION. The big silver "LSD" sticker on the rear cover is a quick way to tell. Of course do the rotation test to be sure.

The common 3:7 ratio is a fantastic ratio for street with a 5 speed.

The reason I ask for the yoke swap is that i am currently set up with the bw t-5 trans with mated driveshaft and diff. So if I went to a subby r160lsd diff later I was hoping that i could just swap out the front yoke and diff and be done. If I could only be so lucky.:)

.... and moustache bar

Believe me i have been all over the internet on this. Not any direct info for my situation so I am trying to put the puzzle together. Shortly i will have one of each diff so i will have the oppurtunity to swap out to my hearts desire. :) It is amazing the amount of combos possible in a HYBRID Z!!!!

I am trying to be sure of my info since I may have a possible source on suby diffs and would like to make them available to the Z folks.

By the articles it looks pretty straight forward. However.........until one actually does it. I've been interested as well because of the LSD, decent gears and resonable price. My car will have a NA 3.8 Camaro and 5spd, no big HP ratings and something around 250# tq. Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

85-86 XT 4WD

86-87 GL 4WD

86-91 Loyale/GL 4WD

88-91 GL and XT-6 4WD

Look at all the above. Remember it was frequently and OPTION. The big silver "LSD" sticker on the rear cover is a quick way to tell. Of course do the rotation test to be sure.

The common 3:7 ratio is a fantastic ratio for street with a 5 speed.

exactly right, except....

It was ONLY an option. I repeat; the R-160 rear LSD was not installed in ALL of ANY Subaru model, it was only available as an option. However, it was a fairly widely selected option, and it was available on most, if not all models. In fact, the Soobie guys know that LSD can be fun, too, so its worth checking any older Subaru and seeing if the rear diff (if present) is the coveted limited slip... I am getting to a point where I check almost any RWD IRS japcar for an LSD, honestly :rolleyesg