HybridZ

different tail lights

woodboxer

hi all

i was thinking it might be nice to put a different style of taillight in my 81 300zx.( sorry 280) i have seen some in the past , but cannot remember where , does anyone have any suggestions? i am shaving the rearend so i fiquire i might as well go all the way.

later bob

Where'd you get an 81 300ZX??

i actually got the car from a fellow in fredriton NB he had three and a friend and myself bought all three , i got the one that ran and he parted the other two out , i am still working on different ideas, but i actually had it runnning before i put it on stands to do work on it.

later bob

This is close to, if not the longest string on this site:

showthread.php?t=74537

boy how did i miss that one, i guess it proves it is an interesting thread, although i did a quick look and didn't notice anyone that stood out with an answer.

sorry for not checking out the post before i started this thread.

later bob

Woodboxer, They are trying to tell you that if your car is an 81, then it isn't a 300zx. The only Z car made in 81 was a 280zx.

Jon

sorry right u are

i have typed in the wrong number,can u ever forgive me, LOL. I have a 81 280zx but i also have an 86 300 zx , i wasn't really paying attention when i typed the note, but my 86 300zx is Ok , it is the 81 280 that i want ot put differnet rear lights on , and yes I know the first year was 84 for the 300 as there are a few AE's in our local club, i guess since i have been working on the 86 - repairing the digitial dash, repairing the ceiling liner and new rear brakes, i must have simply typed it wrong number, i have the 81 up on stands and really want o make it different, but i have to keep the 86 going as it is a daily driver.

i also went thru all the notes from the other thread re different lights for a 240 and then realized that it is different in the rear again than my 81 , so i quess i still would like to know what would look good on my 81.

bob

05, 06 or 07 Mustang tail lights.

Click

So far, I'm the only one who has done it, that I'm aware of.

Warren

thanks Warren

i knew i had seen mustand lights in a car ,, but couldn't find where, it was your car, btw - awsome job, i usally don't use that word but it fits your car.

i really like the front as well, and just so i won't totally copy yours i am trying to shave the rear end so that in it self should make it look different.

I will post some pics as i go, haven't been able to work at it recently but I may be able to free some time soon. espesially since I have the 86 up and running ok now.

thanks for your reply bob:)

thanks Warren

i knew i had seen mustand lights in a car ,, but couldn't find where, it was your car, btw - awsome job, i usally don't use that word but it fits your car.

i really like the front as well, and just so i won't totally copy yours i am trying to shave the rear end so that in it self should make it look different.

I will post some pics as i go, haven't been able to work at it recently but I may be able to free some time soon. espesially since I have the 86 up and running ok now.

thanks for your reply bob:)

hey warren

i found a set of mustang lights locally and they will be here this afternoon. thanks again . I knew i really liked yours but i didn't know what they were.

btw who hard were they to put in?

bob

Even though the ZX and Z have differences, they are also similar in shape, and will provide you an idea of differnent configurations and shapes for tail lights. I would look at as many possibilities as you can, and not limit your choice only to what someone else did on a 280ZX. Perhaps with very few exceptions, any change will require some degree of modification to the rear panel, Z or ZX.

hey terry

ya i know there are all types of ideas out there , and i am looking for some things to make my 81 as different as i can, while still not spending a fortune. u did a great job on yours , but i don't think that i am that talented. So i have to look at others and see what i like and then try to use what i can . I am always open to suggestion btw.

i may have ordered 03 taillight anyway, i told the fella i wanted 03-05 then i looked at warren post and noticed he said 05-07

so who knows what i will have when they arrive here. I will know in a hr or so, hopefully they will be something i can use.

if u have any other ideas let me know. i bought this car with the purpose of doing as much as possible to make it different.

thanks bob

Bob,

There is a site with lots of options shown. Some on Z's, some on ZX's. Click Here

I'm working on bringing back to life, the old video I had of the Mustang light installation. My web host is not cooperating. I'll post that link when it's working again to show you whats involved with that process. ALOT of work sums it up though.

Warren

Bob,

There is a site with lots of options shown. Some on Z's, some on ZX's. Click Here

I'm working on bringing back to life, the old video I had of the Mustang light installation. My web host is not cooperating. I'll post that link when it's working again to show you whats involved with that process. ALOT of work sums it up though.

Warren

hey warren

it turns out that i ordered 03 light and not the newer ones so when they arrive i guess is when i will see what they look like.LOL

later bob