HybridZ

Tall guy seats?

Tried searching, and about all 'tall' gets is "don't use these if you are' advisories.

Any suggestions for a really long waisted guy?

Miata seats and the like are about the right height to snap my neck if rear ended.

The original Z seats aren't as bad for height, but I'd like some lateral support.

TIA

<>

I was reading through a few of the seat threads, and I thought I read that the Corvette seats were fairly decent for us taller people.

(Or should that be normal height people, instead of the vertically challenged masses that surround us? :D )

If you haven't already found it, there is a sticky in the interiors section on seats.

I think I've read through most every 'seats' post on the board; my eyes are getting weird.:icon45:

Most of the posts don't go into seat back height-- important to me in case of an accident-- and address width.

I don't need seats suitable for a 400 pound person, but I'm 240, 40 waist and won't fit many/most racing seats.

Guess I'll cruise the new car show rooms for inspiration;there aren't many late models in our local junk yards-- mostly end of life stuff with worn out seats.

PS- this is the closest I've come

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108611&highlight=350Z

<>

A.G.

How tall are you?

I am using eclipse/talon seats in my Z and they are really comfortable. The problem is I sit pretty high. I'm going to cut out the stock floor mounts and mount the seats to the floor with some reinforcements.

The talon seats have better side bolsters than the eclipse seats but they don't have the lumbar support that the eclipse seat has. I got my set of really good condition eclipse seats for $40 in the JY. I then spent $25 in some mild steel bar and S.S. hardware to mount the seats.

• Administrators

The best solution I've found for an S30 is early C4 Vette seats (pre '90, if memory serves). Thin backed and heavily bolstered.

A fitment exception might be from '74 1/2 on... the tranny buldge might prohibit them. I expect to be test fitting that scenereo this summer.

...36" inseem.

The best solution I've found for an S30 is early C4 Vette seats (I'm thinking pre '90, if memory serves). Thin backed and heavily bolstered.

A fitment exception might be from '74 1/2 on... the tranny buldge might prohibit them. I expect to be test fitting that scenereo this summer.

...36" inseem.

My neighbor had a Miata blue 75 280z called the Zette (stock-ish camaro SBC). It had 1985 corvette seats in it. They were GREAT! Plenty of head room IIRC.

I recommend those seats for sure!

Some of my favorite factory seats are from the late-80's Starion/conquest. So adjustable, and they are all manual if I remember correctly. I don't know if they'd fit in an S30 or not though, I never tried it. I did try and fit Merkur XR4-ti factory Recaros when I first got my current Z, and they just sat way too high off the floor. My hair touched the roof...

Thanks for the replies.

OTM, it isn't so much my height (6 feet) as how tall I should be; I'm 6 feet with a 29 inch inseam, so I sit tall in the saddle. (One of those funny looking bandy legged guys... a high- from the floor- seat won't work for me). OTH, I need a tall back/ headrest to keep my head from flopping back and forth in a wreck.

Ron, I'll look into the Vette seats. Where a thin back would be important to you, I need shallow but comfortable on the seat part (may have to slide it forward to reach the pedals and steering wheel).:icon46:

Veritech, the Mercur Recaro problem is what I'm trying to avoid. I'd like to find something with a tall back and side bolsters that fits low enough for me to do track days (wear a helmet with a bit of roof clearance).

I sat in a 350Z today; those seats are nice, but someone mentioned they are heavy & they will also be scarce yet.

I'm hoping to gather a good list of possibles & head for the yards in Rancho Cordova when I finally get my car (a 72 240) on the road. Thinking ahead.

<>

I have Z3 seats from the BMW sport car in my 71. They fit well and seem pretty tall, the kid in the picture is my oldest son who is 6'2". Find a Z3 in a used car lot and check it out. I got mine in leather with heat and 6 way power for $150.00. We had to fab some mounts, but for a master fabricator like you, that would be no problem.

seat2_thumb.jpg

seat 1_thumb.jpg

seat brkt_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Doug... I'll check out an M3.

Looking at that handsome young guy in your car, if he has more than a 31 inch inseam, M3's may be a bit thick in the seat part/ high off the floor for me.

As to "master fabricator"?

You have me confused with either Ron Tyler of differential mount fame, or John Coffey, beta fabricator to the stars.:mrgreen:

I do a bit of welding, but it is all farmer style... no TIG here. I even do hay wire/ baling wire repairs. (Hay wire, by the way, has served me a few times as a decent gas weld filler).:twisted:

Thanks for the compliment, however.

<>

Here is the problem area you will find with the later S30 chassis that came equipted with catalytic converters. They have a "hump" in the transmission tunnel to allow for more clearance in this area. This just gets in the way when mounting most modern seats.

may28th034mx6jm5.jpg

Jusitn

Ben...Z3, not M3...much cheaper. In the shot there, the seats were at the top of the travel to see if they would hit the roof. I was just showing how Andy sat in the seat. When they are lowered to the bottom they fit well. I have a 31-32 inseam and I fit the seat and car perfectly. Lots of adjustability. You understate your fab skills, I have been over and under the Roadster and it is well done...

Tried searching, and about all 'tall' gets is "don't use these if you are' advisories.

Any suggestions for a really long waisted guy?

Miata seats and the like are about the right height to snap my neck if rear ended.

The original Z seats aren't as bad for height, but I'd like some lateral support.

Which Miata seats were you looking at? I just installed a set of 2003 Miata seats, and the seat backs are at least an inch taller than the stock 280 seats were.

They are set pretty low in my car, and there is definitely not even close to enough room to fit your head between the top of the seat and the roof (referring to the neck snapping statement).

Which Miata seats were you looking at? I just installed a set of 2003 Miata seats, and the seat backs are at least an inch taller than the stock 280 seats were.

They are set pretty low in my car, and there is definitely not even close to enough room to fit your head between the top of the seat and the roof (referring to the neck snapping statement).

Can't say what year they were-- earlier though, as they were in the self serve yard in Chico. Presumption bit me again: I presumed that all Miatas have had similar seat back heights. (Mazda must have learned something by 2003).

Thanks Tim- I'll put the later Miatas on my watch list.

<>

I guess it's just matter what type of seat your looking for? Some like a sporty oem style seat or an aftermarket style seat? I know alot of the Kirkey seats look to have a higher back. Though I've always like this seat but not sure if how it'd work with a harness.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1512,147_Kevlar-High-Back-Seat.html

I'm looking for a tall, comfortable OEM seat with lateral support-- The thinly padded racing shell I had in my mid engined Corvair broke me of that sort of thing.

These are for a road car that will only make a trip or two to Thunder Hill. It isn't being built to be competitive: Engine is only a 350 with a 204/214 cam, auto trans.

<>