HybridZ

NEW VIRGINIA SPEEDING LAWS 15 getcha $3550

v80z

I didnt mean only one in the state just the only one without driving hours. I mean with all honesty I dont drive fast 5-7 over usally, and the only time I do is on the bike. That being back in rawley springs on the mountain, right at the state line(LEO's dont even bother). So its not like I have anything to worry about. Im not saying this Tax is fair by any means, but its more so for the bad drivers out there. My only advice is get to know your local police.

Well, as one of those who have the responsibility to try and keep the highways safe it is always one reason or another for why someone has to constantly speed on the roads. But it is never their own fault!!! If you cannot be happy doing 10 to 13 over then you need to be ready to pay the price for your speed cravings. I personally get my thrills doing track events with NASA.

Once you have to knock on one door to inform someone that their loved one isn't coming home tonight you tend to have less tolerance with people who you see in traffic court and know them by name due to their heavy foot.

I personally hate the fines associated with tickets and feel points that cannot be removed from your DL is the better solution. 12 pts lose DL for 12 mos.

10-13 over is reasonable, honestly when I'm driving I seldom see the high side of 80 and I'm not often on the highway either. I still say this stinks and it goes after far more than just speeders too. Potentially changing lanes sans turn signal could get you into this little program. The list of offenses covered by this new law is over 3 pages long. I'm okay with the 4time DUI guy getting nailed to the wall but frankly I have to wonder why that person would even have a license at that point. That we have lowered out BAC to the ppoint that a SINGLE drink puts you over the limit is also irritating to me. I do NOT drink but I think it's disengenous to lower the limit that far and still allow folks to drink anywhere but their homes.

As expected this law is about money. Instead of asking everyone to pay their fair share, and I would, he has taken the path of lesser resistance much like those who ask us to "Do it for the children" as no one would dare say no to that right? What will he have to say the first time someone attempting to avoid one of these tickets by running gets hurt or hurts others?

As to his comment about retaining counsel, we did and it cost $1500+. It had nothing to do with what it would cost monetarily and everything to do with preventing other penalties. We coudl afford it, not everyone can and people WILL run.

Permanent points is an interesting idea. If I could feel completely comfortable that the police wouldn't abuse their new found power I might even be for it. However three times in my personal past I've seen evidence otherwise. I have also hung out with officers at the local speed shop and heard them go on and on about how they love to go "get those ricers". This while having their damn near unmuffled Mustang deafen us on the dyno. I'm quite sure that not every officer acts this way and that there are many fine examples but it only takes a few to spoil things. Given the potential for abuse that permanent points would imply there's no way I could go for it having witnessed what I have. It's sad really, when I was a kid I looked up to police now I fear them if anything and I most certainly do not trust them - I'm not alone. :-(

Well now that I drive such an attention getter, I've started using the cruise control on all my vehicles except the ZRX1100... Idon't do more than about 14 over max and I figure I'll make up for it at the track... This year I'll log between 12-15 days at the track and I fully expect to increase that by 1/3-1/2 by next year... I'll get it out of my system there...

Oh, FTP!!! :2thumbs:

MIke :cool:

Well now that I drive such an attention getter, I've started using the cruise control on all my vehicles except the ZRX1100... Idon't do more than about 14 over max and I figure I'll make up for it at the track... This year I'll log between 12-15 days at the track and I fully expect to increase that by 1/3-1/2 by next year... I'll get it out of my system there...

Oh, FTP!!! :2thumbs:

MIke :cool:

The funny thing is that when I drove the fastest car I've ever owned I never felt the need to race on the street. The entire time I drove that car, daily for awhile, I don't think I ever had a street race - maybe one roll-on on the highway that was short lived. I stepped on it once in awhile for sure but never for long and never in a manner that I felt could lead to someone getting hurt. Much of my WOT time was spent on the dyno or at the track when myself and other Supra owners would rent it for the day. There was nothing for me to prove with that car, it was damned fast and I knew it. I've never made it a habit to weave in and out of cars in traffic and generally I just sit in the left lane moving along unless I'm in someone's way. The day my car was trashed I was doing the speed limit and before the jerk pulled out I was even coasting - it didn't matter. Truly I wish the emphasis were on the folks who are really dangrous but too often it seems it's easier to sit on the side of the road and wait for the box to beep to run off and write a ticket. At least I've seen some indication that red lights are getting emphasis around here, I just wish they weren't also taking the opportunity to pull over anyone who might have an inspection sticker that's a week too old while they're at it

Word on the street is that there is another bill that's been drafted to kill this one... Apparently the house was "quietly" devided on this one, and there are some in va. legislature who really fear a major suit on this bill...

Mike

Ya' Mike they are indeed working on something it seems! My understanding is that the legislature was led to believe that this was primarily geared towards the really serious infractions rather than the wider net it actually cast. We'll see, I think it's safe to say that there are a few folks who will certainly be voted out by this. Some of the folks I've talked to about this are more angry than I am - that's saying something :wink:

By Tim Craig

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, July 13, 2007; B01

RICHMOND, July 12 -- Virginia Republican leaders, faced with growing opposition to the "abusive driver" fees that went into effect July 1, said Thursday that they will consider scrapping some of them when the General Assembly convenes in January.

The fees, some of which exceed $1,000 per infraction, were part of a transportation plan that lawmakers approved this year. They were designed to raise millions of dollars each year for road and transit projects by imposing surcharges onto the fines for Virginia motorists convicted of serious traffic offenses, such as driving under the influence.

But because of what legislators call an "error" and a "mistake," the fees also can be assessed on motorists who are convicted of less serious offenses. The surcharges did not receive much attention when lawmakers approved them Feb. 24., but the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative since Virginia residents learned about the fees this month.

"As a part-time legislature, we will make mistakes, and we will have to correct them," said House Majority Leader H. Morgan Griffith (R-Salem), who wants to revisit which misdemeanors the fees cover.

For example, someone criminally charged with driving too fast for road conditions will have to pay $300 a year for three years, in addition to the regular fine. A motorist convicted of having an obstructed view of traffic will have to pay $350 a year for three years, as will anyone convicted of driving more than 80 mph on an interstate, according to an analysis by the Supreme Court of Virginia.

"I think clearly the overwhelming majority of delegates and senators never meant or expected it would apply to these lesser charges," said Del. C.L. "Clay" Athey Jr. (R-Warren). "There was obviously a drafting error."

The fees, which Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) supported as part of the bipartisan transportation agreement, have become a top issue in this fall's legislative races. Many residents have contacted their legislators, expressing outrage that the fees do not apply to out-of-state motorists.

Sen. Kenneth W. Stolle (R-Virginia Beach) said the General Assembly probably will try to limit the fees to "truly reckless drivers." Stolle said some lawmakers also want to collect the fees from out-of-state motorists.

But some GOP legislators, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they don't want to offend House leaders, said they do not want to wait until January to act. Noting that drivers will be legally required to pay the fees in the interim, some lawmakers are advocating a special session this summer or fall.

A coalition of anti-tax activists and advocates for the poor also has started an online petition drive calling for a special session. The group wants the General Assembly to eliminate all of the new fees, not just those for Class 3 or 4 misdemeanors. As of Thursday, more than 1,200 people had signed the petition. Another petition received more than 36,000 signatures.

Sherry D. Sherry of Leesburg, who helped organize the petition drive, said the fees could trap drivers with limited incomes in a cycle of debt. She noted that someone convicted of a first-time DUI will have to pay $750 a year for three years.

"I am not trying to defend someone who gets a DUI, but I just know if someone gets a ticket and wants to rehabilitate their life and they work in a low-salary industry, this ticket will put them in a hole they will never climb out of," Sherry said.

Kaine, who has been advocating for the abuser fees since taking office, said through a spokesman Thursday that he "remains open to the possibility" of revising the charges. But Kevin Hall, the spokesman, said the governor still thinks the fees will make Virginia roads safer.

"It is important to remember most of these enhanced fees only apply to a small percentage of motorists who engage in criminal, reckless driving that causes accidents and injures and kills other people," Hall said.

The fees, which could raise as much as $65 million annually, were intended to be a partial substitute for a statewide tax increase, which Kaine supported but the Republican-controlled House opposed.

Stolle said the Senate, which had supported a tax increase, had tried to keep revenue generated from the fees to $28 million annually. But he said House Republican leaders insisted on at least $65 million, which meant the fees had to be higher and cover more offenses.

"The more money you try to generate, the more violations you have to pick up," said Stolle, adding that some lawmakers may want to cut the amount of money raised by $40 million to $50 million by scaling back the abuser fees.

In addition to the fees for misdemeanor and felony traffic convictions, motorists with eight or more points on their driving records will have to pay more. Those drivers have to pay $100 for the eight points and $75 for every additional point. Failure to pay will result in suspension of licenses.

Del. Brian J. Moran (D-Alexandria), who wants all of the new fees eliminated, said they "cause more problems than they solve."

"It is going to generate more driving on suspended licenses, which will clog up the court system and generate other expenses to society," Moran said.

Del. Thomas Davis Rust (R-Fairfax), one of the architects of the abuser-fee law, said he's surprised "by the volume of the outcry."

"If you don't break the law, you don't have a problem," said Rust, noting that the average Virginia motorist gets a ticket once every seven years.

But Rust's Democratic opponent, Jay Donahue, said he plans to make an issue of the fees in the fall.

"It is indefensible for legislators to adopt proposals that discriminate in favor of out-of-state drivers, excusing them from paying their fair share of our road construction and maintenance costs," Donahue wrote in an editorial scheduled to appear in local newspapers Friday.

Post big signs at our boarders and let it apply to all who travel through this suck whole state.

For the repeat and worst offenders, MAKE IT HURT!

I only fear that the funds collected will get sucked up somewhere else and not solve the problems.

Did I mention the part about this being a suck whole state? :rolleyesg

I like the idea of a sliding scale though. I'm a college student, and a $100 ticket to me would be pretty devistating while it wouldn't phase most people in my area.

Oh how youth is follies in nearsightedness...

You know I have been thinking more and more about what type of car to build. Used to I wanted a really fast street car and then maybe take it to the track some times. But the way things are changing and being more responsible now maybe its just time to build a car for some kind of SCCA racing or just a sporty looking cruiser.

It seems the "special" session won't happen... Accoridng to Jim Moran, they missed their deadline... Instead, it'll be repealled at the end of the year, or in January. His recommendation was to get a lawyer and have these cases continued until January 2008. Funny thing is, more politicians are upset with this bill than I would have thought... I've met Jim Moran and He's pretty tough when it comes to crime, but his talk on Washpost Radio was enlightening yesterday afternoon.

Mike