HybridZ

Solidworks...killing time...

cygnusx1

My job was getting so slow and boring that I started doing work for other departments to keep myself occupied (with permission from my boss). I figured I would keep myself from getting rusty and do design work somewhat related to my hired position, CAD work, and model making. I started to get real popular and people were lined up for my models, and CAD drawings. All of a sudden, I was told to lay off the "extra" work and just do my base job even though I was balancing both with no trouble and for no extra money! Now, my base job is so unchallenging and so light that I will go batty. So attached is what I did this afternoon. LOL. I will be job shopping very soon. I asked for a promotion to another position that I was thoroughly qualified for, and they told me NOT to apply. I was like WTF? I have been here 11 successful years and fully met the requirements! A few weeks later they pulled the job listing, and added a single, minor, requirement to it, out of the blue, to make me unqualified for it. :fmad: My track record with the company is golden, but I refuse to kiss A$$ so I live with the consequences.

Big Corporations Rock!!! :ass: <-Edited

lame zee1_thumb.jpg

lame zee2_thumb.jpg

Edit: Thanks Jon, you're golden (and right on :) ).

Nice modeling cygnusx1! How long did it take you to whip that baby out? I know how challenging it is to get swoopy shapes just right without using a $20-80k modeling package. Is it a surface model? kewl...

It took me about an hour. I did it totally "freehand" just splining, extrude-cutting, and filleting untill it looked right to my mind's eye.

If they don't want me to use my skills, I can just sit here, read hybridZ all day and collect a paycheck. However, it's not good for my mind and my future so I am going to shop around for "Solidworks" jobs. I already have the BSME, Machine Design experience, Manufacturing experience, and now I have about 1.5 years of Solidworks under my belt. My only mistake is that I didn't make this company pay for me to go get my masters degree, and they would have. Oh well. I don't care about the money. I want to like what I do, and still have time left over to play with my kid and my car. :icon2: Moving right along.... It's their loss. Not mine.

Jon you are right. I am going up there to edit my statement to be less political....

It sounds like a good company you work for if they also help pay for school and let you surf Hybridz from time to time. :)

If you still decide to leave, you might be able to find quite a few leads in the SW discussion forums...

I know what you mean about enjoying your job is pretty much top priority.

I'll see if I can whip out another model tonight so my CAD skills don't get too rusty-dusty!!

Yes, it's a good company but as of late, some strange decisions have been coming down from the top. From the top, it may look like an appropriate direction for the company, but it leaves me with a bad feeling. Being a loyal, manageable, employee, with patents, millions of dollars of documented money saving projects for the company, and I get a, "Need not apply." note when I ask about a minor technical promotion after 11 years. And then top it off with being yanked away from what I love to do....oh well. I can only continue practicing Solidworks and begin networking in the SW community. My wife goes back to work in a few months so I can jump on her benefits plan....once that happens...I'm going to jump ship unless something changes. I have already spoken my feeling about this at work and am waiting to see their response.

Solidworks proficiency is a very worthwhile skill to acquire, especially now that Solidworks seems to be taking over from some of the higher-end drafting packages. However, take care not to pigeonhole yourself as a draftsman or "mechanical designer". They get paid less than engineers with equivalent experience, and tend to be hired as short-term contractors.

I'll see if I can whip out another model tonight so my CAD skills don't get too rusty-dusty!!

Cygnus, you should be proud of your skills if you were able to model that in about an hour!:hail:

I've been spending too much time on simulation rather than modeling.

Since yours looks so much better than mine, I had to add some "bling factor" to make up for it!! :mrgreen:

I love the new cartoon rendering in Inventor!!

240zg2_cartoon.jpg