HybridZ

anyone live near Eglin AFB, FL?

I'll be moving to Eglin AFB, FL in august and I just wanted to see if anyone with a V8Z, or any Z for that matter, lives in the panhandle. I can't seem to find any Z's in the classifieds for that area and I really want one to start a project...:)

thanks

I live in Panama City, which is 1 hour east of Eglin AFB, and just got my V8Z running. Send me a PM when you get over.

Cool, I'll message you once I'm town.

Im on Tyndall AFB in Panama City. Eglin is a great area, what do you do in tha AF?

I did my field training at Tyndall in 2004...needless to say I didn't really care for the base at that time. My AFSC is 063A, acquisition management...stupid engineering degree..:-| I have heard really good things about Eglin as I have a few friends from school who are stationed there. I take it you're in the AF as well? What do you do?

Im an air traffic controller. Its my first base.. yeah its nothing special, nice beaches though. good luck finding a Z, i went up to GA to get mine.

Air Traffic Controller, that's awesome....guess you know what my screen name means then (TCAS). Cool, maybe I've talked to you on VHF freq before? I use to fly for Air Midwest (US Airways Express) throughout the panhandle, and talked to Tyndall 4 days a week.....flying around Whiskey 470, Carabelle and Echo MOA's.... CLRRK, CRESS, TERES, HEVVN intersections, and all that stuff over there. I fly for Southwest Airlines now, so when I get in that area we're already talking to the high sector :-(.

yeah man i'm actually stationed at hurlburt field and i drive a 280z... matter of fact there is a shop down here that caters to old z's and zx's but i don't think he has any old first gen z's that he wants to sell...

I hope YOUR not to fimiliar with a TCAS. lol. how long ago did you fly for Midwest? I dont see too many of them, just one every once in a while. Ive been here for about a year and a half and i love it. not too busy, but it can get pretty hecktic especially when all the overland MOAs go hot and take all our airspace away. Where does Southwest fly out of?..VPS?

yeah man i'm actually stationed at hurlburt field and i drive a 280z... matter of fact there is a shop down here that caters to old z's and zx's but i don't think he has any old first gen z's that he wants to sell...

awesome I'm glad there's a few people close by...I'm definitely cool with helping pull an engine or work on suspension, or just helping out in any way...my first car was a 73' 240 that my dad and I worked on. Got bored with it in high school, actually I hated having to pull the choke and wait to go home, so I sold it to him and he has it about 95% complete. I'll be cool with any Z 70-78'.

awesome I'm glad there's a few people close by...I'm definitely cool with helping pull an engine or work on suspension, or just helping out in any way...my first car was a 73' 240 that my dad and I worked on. Got bored with it in high school, actually I hated having to pull the choke and wait to go home, so I sold it to him and he has it about 95% complete. I'll be cool with any Z 70-78'.

thats cool man... you might be able to find an early z around here somewhere.. i'm starting to see alot of second generation s130 z's running around but i seem to be the only guy driving an s30 daily hopefully when you get here you'll be able to find a good project car

I hope YOUR not to fimiliar with a TCAS. lol. how long ago did you fly for Midwest? I dont see too many of them, just one every once in a while. Ive been here for about a year and a half and i love it. not too busy, but it can get pretty hecktic especially when all the overland MOAs go hot and take all our airspace away. Where does Southwest fly out of?..VPS?

Yeah, no kidding about the TCAS. In 2 1/2 years at Southwest, I've only gotten 2 TCAS RA's. It's pretty scary when the airplane yells "CLIMB CLIMB!" or "DESCEND DESCEND!" and you don't see the other airplane. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about with those idiots flying VFR through your active MOA's.

I'll bet your job does get hectic when the MOA's go hot......thunderstorms.......IFR traffic wanting deviations......fighter doing their thing.....:willy_nil. Have a cold one on me :cheers:, I don't see how you do it.

I flew for Air Midwest from June 99 to Jan 05, so it looks like I just barely missed you. They quit flying in Florida in Jan 05.

Southest flies to 63 cities, but the closest to PFN are MCO, TPA, JAX, BHM, JAN and MSY.

What year Z do you have, and what have you done to it? It looks very clean on your Avatar.

I have a stock '78 280. Right now its in the garage being sanded down and de-rusted, im gonna attempt to paint it myself. it will kinda be a learning experience for me.. but it shouldnt bo too bad. they have a paint booth here on base, so if i jack it up, it wont cost me too much to just try again! how do you like that sbc in yours? hopefully i can do that someday, but no time soon.

Warning: Old Fart ahead.

After you get to Eglin, set your way back machine to 38 years and I'm the guy showing off my brand new green with black stripes '69 Camaro Z28 in the BOQ parking lot, next to the hospital at the west gate. We've got a nice little sports car club sponsored by the local Ford dealer and have autocrosses in a parking lot next to the amusement park just over the Okaloosa Island bridge. There's a club in Pensacola that's got a disused corner of a landing field where they put on events.

I work in the Armament Development and Test Center building in the Guided Bomb Program Office where I'm the so-called program manager (a puny Captain!) for the laser guided bomb program. We're buying these buck rogers kits that bolt onto standard iron bombs that home in on a laser designated target with near perfect accuracy, sending the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong to their tunnels. Couple years of this and victory will by ours for sure.

Drop into the new officers club (the old one next to the flight line -- right across from the main fire station -- burned to the ground last year) and I'll buy you a beer.

Its hot as hell in the summer but nice throughout the year and the beaches have no equals.

Enjoy your tour.

Cheers -- Gary

Gary,

Wayback machines are awesome. I love hearing stories from my grandpa about his time as a young Airman in Europe.

Drop into the new officers club (the old one next to the flight line -- right across from the main fire station -- burned to the ground last year) and I'll buy you a beer.
It sounds to me like I should be the one buying you a beer, or two!:mrgreen:

Its hot as hell in the summer but nice throughout the year and the beaches have no equals.

Okuma Recreation area Okinawa Japan: Millions of yards of Aussie White Sand dredged up and moved to make for nice GI R&R

Anderson AFB Guam...beaches are great, but when you read about the first UDT Teams in WW2 they didn't seem to like them much!

Then....maybe...just maybe...if there is ONE good thing about...(yeeeeeech) Johnston Atoll was the nice breeze (kept the Agent Orange Stockpile blowing in the right direction) all year round, and those nice little beaches....just don't slice off the mini-golfcourse or you will loose your ball for sure! LOL

ukcats,

I'll definitely put Eglin on the itinerary for my hybrid's victory tour; almost too many fond memories to ignore. Lemme know if the Beach Club is still open (it was half way to Destin out on Okaloosa Island).

Tony, I'll have to admit I haven't been to your Pacific Ocean beaches so we may have to call the contest a draw. I did several TDYs to Kadena AB but we never got far from the base (China Pete's for dinner ware and a Kobe beef place whose name I've forgotten...)

Those were the days...

Best -- Gary

I am at Eglin and drive a 280z. I am moving to crestview next month. I found a lot of z's in the area. I am always on the look out for a z and a new porject. When you get here let me know. I had a v8 z but had to sell it. Hope to talk to you soon. That guy on the way to hurlburt field thinks his stuff is made of gold. I did find a nice z in penscola in a junk yard of all places. Go figure.

I did several TDYs to Kadena AB but we never got far from the base (China Pete's for dinner ware and a Kobe beef place whose name I've forgotten...) -- Gary

"The Four Seasons", Stumbling Distance from China Petes out gate two in the opposite direction of B.C. Street...

B.C. Street got renamed "Chuo Park Avenue" before I left...

And the Four Seasons went out of business, so Kyoto was just down the street, and cheaper too!

We took noobs out to B.C. Street first, got 'em liquored up, and fed them a tale of going to get Kobe Beef at a place where "I knew the owner, and we get to pick the piece of the cow we want to eat. They will kill it right there in front of us, it's a great honor!"

Ahhhh, old times...

LOL

Oh, and the aside, there is a nice Fairlady 280ZX 2+2 moving from Fort Walton Beach this very weekend! One of my Kadena Mates is relocating BACK to Buffalo NY area (was a Plattsburgh Guy as well) with our companyn, and taking both his RHD Vehicles back north for a second time. the Fairlady ZX, and a 72 RHD Toyota Celica GTV.

The Four Seasons! Exactly!

As long as we're hijacking this thread about Eglin, let's do it right.

One of my TDYs to Kadena was particularly memorable.

I was an "action officer" (drone) in the Logistics Plans Division at HQ PACAF (this was my hardship tour, Hickam AFB, Hawaii. don't cry for me...) and was involved in transitioning the fighter wing at Kadena from F-4s to F-15s. The process was managed through periodic Site Activation Task Force ("SATAF") meetings where all the players from across the USAF met at the activation site to assign action items to everyone involved.

My boss's boss, a Colonel, decided he needed to make a Staff Assistance Visit (Christmas shopping trip) so he tagged along on this particular TDY. Naturally, he was assigned a sedan for his convenience, so we enjoyed a little more mobility than was usual.

Turns out this TDY coincided with Okinawa's adoption of the Japanese standard of driving on the wrong side of the road (rhd was an artifact from US domination after WWII, and this transition was a demonstrably GOOD THING, but something of a huge distraction, as you can imagine). We low-lifes spent most of the trip reminding the Colonel to "Think left, sir" every time he made a turn. No military personnel were harmed during this mission, thankfully.

Lemme return this thread to Eglin AFB by mentioning that my very first SATAF meeting occurred days after I arrived at Hickam with a trip back to Eglin to witness one of the last SATAFs for the 33rd TFW.

Some day I should tell you about Lt Col H****, my putative "leader" for that trip. He was a piece of work.

Best -- Gary