HybridZ

confession of a tool addiction

OK,ILL admit it IM totally addicted to aquireing nice tools, I can,t seem too grasp reality at times...

example

Ive got a nice 230 amp hobart, ac/dc arc welder

a lincoln 130 amp mig

a lincoln 300 amp ac/dc stick welder

a miller 330 amp tig

a miller 180 amp mig

youll be thinking about this time...

"this guys nuts...whats he need with all those welders"

but thats not the crazy part, I got offered a VERY good deal on a new 250 amp miller mig welder and I can,t seem to think of a ("LOGICAL" reason to pass on the deal)

SEE IM addicted! I know it! IM fighting it!

darn this hobby gets you just as addicted too TOOLS as it does to ENGINES :rotfls:

there may be some hope??? Im willing to sell the 130 amp lincoln mig, and miller 180 amp mig ..to close friends who need them bady (DOESN,T EVERY HOTRODDER???) if I get the miller 250 amp mig, so IM not totally ...nuts.....well.... maybe thats not exactly true..... but I keep telling myself that....besides my friends encourage this addiction, they are willing to buy those older migs in a heart/beat, and are encouraging me too do the deal,

they WANT to get addicted TOO!....

SEE ID HAVE FEWER WELDERS SO THAT MEANS IM GETTING BETTER ...RIGHT??

[

"There are poor kids all around the country who are dieing (not literally) because they don't have welding machines!!"

SEE! IM PROBABLY GOING TO BE HELPING OTHERS LESS FORTUNATE, IM ALLOWING TWO FORMERLY WELDERLESS GUYS TO GET A MIG....

http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...ct_Code=907321

IF....I decide to purchase it, Im getting a better deal than this, (above)

on the same NEW IN THE BOX, mig welder and the old migs will be sold to friends at a deep discount (hey thier friends) will cover more than 1/2 the cost

"Nice collection, where do you find those kinds of deals?"

being successful in this hobby requires making lots of contacts and spreading good will, by doing little things to help out other guys....its surpriseing how often you get info and deals if you make the effort to help others and not look for repayment

Eh, I've got 7 welders, so you're TOO crazy yet...

TA 185 tig

Lincoln 135

Lincoln 175

Harbor Freight wire feeder

Dayton 250 AC/DC stick welder

Lincoln 200 amp stick welder

Craftsman 130 amp stick welder

....and an oxy/acetalyne setup

The real question is how many die grinders you have...

I have 26

"The real question is how many die grinders you have..."

only 4 I guess IM fairly sane!

well maybe not,Ive got two proffesional full size (6ft tall 42" wide 15 drawer) craftsman,tool boxes so full I can,t fit another tool in them, Ive got 6 engines on engine stands in various levels/stages of work/progess, and two auto transmission,s, I do work on other guys cars for free constantly, and Im thinking of buying tools rather than parts for my own projects..so maybe, Im marginally warped......but hey at least I keep busy

I plan to keep just the lincoln engine drive arc welder,( with/10,000watt generator) the miller 330 amp TIG and the new miller 250 mig,

the hobart arc welder Im just giving to the Brother-in-law, (he needs one) and IM probably selling the two smaller migs too (deeply discounted) partly to pay for the larger mig, but mostly to help out friends and UPGRADE my welders at the same time.

your correct a decent tig and a good mig will serve under 99% of applications and the engine driven lincoln arc welder will serve as emergency back-up power & welder

see ..THERE MAY be a CURE for this addiction??........force my self down to only three welders, but MAKING SURE THEY ARE GOOD WELDERS

Grump: are these potential "welders for sale" already spoken for???

Because I am one of a family of young (with two old) hotrodders in need of a welder at the right price.. between my brothers, our father and uncle, we have 5 complete Zs, three of which are road cars, one ITS racecar, and one automatic 240 that we really need to sh!t or get off the pot over (its sitting, in other words, with no plans for it)

Then there's my uncle's roadsters. two street cars, one 67 1600 and one 69 2000, one 2000 Historic racecar, and one of the two BRE roadster racecars. My uncle HAD a welder but its an old Cebora MIG and it needs a couple of parts that are discontinued.

I need frame rails and a couple of quarter panels, and there's just all SORTS of projects that have us keeping our eyes peeled for the right welder.

When it comes to the George Washingtons, I am not the brother to talk to (I am currently struggling to get my managers to put me on more than three 5 hour shifts per week :( ) but fortunately my brothers are doing much better than I. I just had to ask if these toys were already earmarked for someone in particular, since you are local to me :-D If they ARE "spoken for" I totally understand.

sorry the welders are previously spoken for, but...

since your close by here, in palm beach, why not stop over and we can talk about your projects over coffee,hey, why not stop by an we can work on your projects or YOU can use a welder here when you need one, FOR FREE (good price no??)

no expence other than replacing the rods or wire you use up and a lift and help.....seems like its a win/win to me.

I can always sqeeze in some time for small projects and coffee, (being retired has some benefits)

btw I know where theres a good deal on a lightly used 90 amp lincon mig/flux welder fairly cheap that works good on sheet metal, panels ETC. (like this one below for $275)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100093231

if I can take that as a semi-standing invitation, great. Despite all my recent posting, I am in "lurk" status regarding actual working on cars right now.. no dough to go to the show, yanno?

Thanks immensely for the hospitality; and eventually at least a gab session is imminent. I am in the midst of trying to refinance my house right now, so I have domestic issues taking up any productive time.. I use the internet like alot of people use television. Thats what time I spend here; the rest is either at work or working around the house, getting odd projects crossed off the list and cleaning.

Someday soon, though, this will all be done and my stress levels will plummet. Maybe August, september -ish I get to start the grinding and whatnot on the Datsun, but in the meantime it is bare minimum to keep the junker DD running.

sure, just call (p.m. /email /when your free) Im well aware how lack of money screws up projects and scheduals...been fighting that problem for 50 plus years in one form or another....if you care to have coffee some times get me the info and if Im free Id be glad to meet you here or at the coffee shop of your choice, always a good move to find new friends

Don't fight it

Ignorance is bliss.

I just refuse to believe that I have a problem.

In fact I use jobs around the house/car as excuses to buy knew tools

E.G. well I cant build that TV cabinet without a dewalt buscuit joiner or

Well if you want a stereo in your car honey, then I will just have to buy a new crimping tool to do it

My wife thinks I am crazy buying expensive tools, but all I have to do is say, honey, how many shoes do you have? Then she storms out muttering something about them not being the same. (This is a bit of an exageration, she doesn't mind me buying tools, she just doesn't understand why).