HybridZ

Has rust won the battle?

sltn87

Upon further examination of my 280zx I noticed the rust holes on my floorboard were larger than I thought, and to top it all off I noticed one of my frame rails are being eaten by rust. Can this car be saved? Things like this are making me lean more towards in buying a clean Z31. Any opinions are welcome.

HPIM0165.jpg

HPIM0164.jpg

salvageable. i don't know a source for ZX floor pans, but zedd findings has them for the S30.

actually, i suppose i should ask whether that frame rail is surfacr or structural rust.... i don't know about welding in a section in a structural piece; the heat might weaken it??

Can you weld? You can save it, but paying a shop will likely be cost prohibitive- if you can even find one willing to do the work. I have "been there" in the rust repair arena, follow the link in my sig. My best advice is "cut first ask questions later"... IE, cut out all the rust, then worry about how you're going to make patches.

No I cannot weld but I can get a friend to do it for me, yeah the "rust repair arena" isn't no joke, when I was vacuuming out the dust from the 280zx and the nozzle caused a rust chunk to cave in tears almost came to my eyes.

That is a lot to ask of a friend.

Big job.

Does anyone make replacement floor pans and frame rails for the ZX? I know Bad Dog Parts makes stuff for s30 cars but I have yet to see anything for s130's.

I'd suspect the fact that S30's are lighter, there is a good supply of aftermarket panels for them and the S130 powertrain is a virtual dropin that S130 panels are a ways off. Unless, of course, S30's start to get very scarce for the demand.

Mark

Charlie Osborne in Canada makes S130 Floors & support rails.

Zedd Findings

I haven't personally used them, but they look to be pretty good quality and very close if not exact replacements, unfortunately, where yours is rusted out, those parts are probably going to have to be fabricated if not cut from a donor vehicle and implanted.

Hope it helps,

Warren