HybridZ

Shotgun help?

rustrocket

Hey guys...i've seen other gun posts on here so i thought i'd give it a go. I've been getting into shooting sporting clays lately, and am looking to purchase an over/under 12 ga. sometime soon. I've been looking at the beretta 686 sport, the onyx pro, and the savage arms milano. Does any body here have any experience with any of these?

The Beretta is nice, I have shot it before, but not the others you mentioned. A friend has a Blaser F3, and it is the best double gun I have shot. It has an adjustible balance thing in the stock. It was pretty spendy though. I think around $6000. He has a nicer gun, but I can still outshoot him. lol

Well I have been shooting sporting clays for about 9 years. I started shooting tournements about 7 years ago so I know a thing or two about over and unders. From what I have seen about 50% of all the guns being used by competition shoots are either a Browning 425 or the new 525. Everyone and their brother seems to like those guns. Their not too expensive either, some where in the range of $1500ish used for the 425 and almost $2000 for the 525. Now I personally don't like Brownings, I think they are balanced funny and don't really fit in my hands right.

What you should do is shoot a bunch of different guns and just find one that fits you. Don't just buy a gun because it looks cool or its cheap. If the gun doesn't fit you it will show on your score sheet.

I have recently gotten out of shooting. I just need a break from it and I am dumping more money into my car lately so I can't afford to shoot. It's too bad because I was really starting to get really good. I was in the AA class when I got out of it. The only class above that is Master. My girlfriend still shoots and she is a C class. Her sister and husband still shoot, she is a Master and he is a AA shooter(ya she's pretty good! She was the Wisconsin Ladies champ last year at the State Tournment actually!).

Are you going to be shooting for fun or competitively? It can get pretty expensive pretty quick with this sport! You can't get better if you don't practice and shells are like $4.00 to $5.00 a box! I used to shoot 500-600 rounds a week but I was reloading my own shells so it was like $2.75 a box at the time to load them myself(its almost $4.00/box now to load your own!).

I had a Ruger Red Label in stainless steel with the black synthenic stock. I loved that gun and it really fit me well. I could shoot Beretta's pretty good too but a Browning would mess me all up!

Well, I have a charles Daly O/U that is older than the hills with BNP proof markings but it was $7500 20 years ago. I love it and can't hardly miss. The trick is to get one that fits properly. You can shoot any gun well if it fits properly. Custom options like back boring and forcing cone lengthening are really important and you DO need to pattern your gun and either tailor your loads or switch to the best patterning brand, try different chokes, etc, etc. 8 segment crimps pattern better than 6 IMO and rolled crimps pattern better than 8 segment IMO. I load my own except for dove hunting and then it's easier to buy the cheapo's.

Personally, I'd get a good quality gun and have a custom stock whittled out of wood. They use a completely adjustable stock, keep changing it until you like it, take measurements and voila, your in business.

I've shot a few o/u before and I really don't like the feel of them something bothers me about the way they are constructed even though the build quality is normally quite good, by far favorite was an SA not sure what model but it shot well and fit me fairly well, I still prefer my old 870 Wingmaster or Ithaca 20ga. granted not really fine shotguns by any measure but they shoot like a dream even though the Ithaca kicks like mule even for a 20ga. So in my (not so) professional opinion go with the one that fits you the best a good test is to have a buddy launch a few clays and close your eyes as you draw a bead on them a gun that fits you well will track much better and than one that doesn't and you should be able to follow the clay with your eyes closed obviously don't shoot with your eyes closed it's a kind of odd little trick my grandpa taught me when I first started shooting when I was younger trust me it works though, best of luck to you in finding a gun that fits you it may take a while but it is worth it.

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far guys.

From all the guns i've tried, the italian ones fit me the best, specifically the Berettas, but i did check out an SKB 585 at a shop over the weekend which fit well. I guess i wont really know until i can take a couple out to the range and shoot some clays.

• 1 year later...