HybridZ

Turbo z gas tank

Guest Reisman240Z

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ran the z to the 08 zcon and back this past week. nice-no fuel delivery issues whatsoever. ran the tank down to about 3.5 gallons during the auto-x [there was a gas station adjacent to the auto-x lot] and no fuel starvation!

so, i think my fuel delivery problems are now officially behind me. now i need to get a fuel resistant vapor line [had to temporarily use heater hose] installed this winter and thoroughly seal the gap around the filler neck where it goes through the body and i'm all set. then i can tackle all the other issues my z has.

hmm, what would i do if i had a car i didn't have to work on?!:D

Spend you money on something else and be bored!

Got the ring thanx!!

ran the z to the 08 zcon and back this past week. nice-no fuel delivery issues whatsoever. ran the tank down to about 3.5 gallons during the auto-x [there was a gas station adjacent to the auto-x lot] and no fuel starvation!

so, i think my fuel delivery problems are now officially behind me. now i need to get a fuel resistant vapor line [had to temporarily use heater hose] installed this winter and thoroughly seal the gap around the filler neck where it goes through the body and i'm all set. then i can tackle all the other issues my z has.

hmm, what would i do if i had a car i didn't have to work on?!:D

How much do these step ups run? I know one guy said 700. Is that about right? I would like to retain the stock look and not have to cut into the body, but 700 seems a little steep!

the atl black box runs $390 shipped from earls store #1, if i remember correctly the fuel cell 'cap' is another $50, steel ring the cap bolts to [i'm running a group buy] for $50. so that's about $500. then you'll need some fuel cell foam-around $50 for the good stuff, add another $50 or so for painting the tank and the baffles. then whatever your labor/fabrication work runs.

I replaced my vapor hoses with 3/8" fuel line and have noticed NO degradation in venting/filling of the gas tank. I used Nylon 15 to 10mm barbed reducers (much like the standard pieces Nissan Used) at the tank, to do the conversion. I have the 15mm vapor hose in about a 2" nub out of the tank, attached to the reducer.

Advantages: No big cost for the molded vapor hoses, and easily replaceable with standard fuel line available anywhere. Tested vapor integrity to 10psi while pushing out a big 'oops' dent in the tank from a big rock...

I used some 1/4" lines on the boy's 510 Wagon when we did his car, and the advantages of them is you can fit three hoses through one hole, and bacically put a heater-hose blockoff cap over the remaining holes in the rear floor to cap them securely. All invisible.

The only pain was that you have to seal the big 15mm hole to a 3/8 hose coming through the floor. I used heat-shrink tubing over some molded plastic reducers I had laying around. Don't know what they were for, but they were 5/8" on one end, and had step downs to 1/8"...I just cut accordingly and stuck the 3/8 line through and sealed it with the heat shrink to keep everything secure.

On the boy's 510, we actually elminated the vapor tank...primarily since it wasn't there anymore... That system I pumped 5psi into and didn't find a single leak. No more raw gas vapors around the car on a hot day! Woo Hoo. Seems the gas doesn't 'go off' as quickly once it's capped up good and tight!

I digress...

• 3 weeks later...

ran the z out of gas today [intentionally] to see if i'd experience any fuel starvation while accelerating, cornering or braking with the new setup. i'm extremely pleased to say that i did not-up to the point it ran out of gas. had a gas can with me and put in just 1 gallon. then, of course, drove and filled up.

it's really nice to know that i can actually use all of the fuel in the tank now at the track. i can now make it all the way through a 40 min session and maybe a second without a fillup! woohoo!!

• 4 months later...

Im just starting on my tank and have a question...is your tank a 240 or 280? The top contours are slightly different than mine and the ring sits over the edge of my tank. If you have a 240 tank is it modified to fit the ring?

Also....does anyone know of a proven design that can be used to build a "black box". It cant be so hard..its a small box...but the hinge doors are my concern. The doors alone cost over $90 from ATL. Im wondering if some other kind of hing would work. Not to oversimplfy this but what if SS door hinges were attached to the inside of a SS box? This would allow flow in but not out......

I have lots of sheet material and a brake I can use to build this box....just need a few ideas for the hinged doors. Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 Tuff Z/Monzster...you used the black box and have that touchy feely exposure to the ATL unit. Are the ATL hinges on a spring? What do you think of this idea?

here are some of my pics. they look nearly the same as monzter's. filled up today, no leaks [thankfully] and so far so good...

here's a shot of the tank [w/o the cap]. the an fittings are for feed [top] and return [bottom]. i used a 1/4 cold rolled steel plate and had an oval cnc'd that provided the form to shape the tank around and the cap to bolt to.

top shot-shows the atl black box mounted to the added baffle.

DSC001561.JPG

here's a 'final product' pic. gave it a quick flat black rattle can job but ran out of paint before i could hit the top-figured no one sees the top anyway and i'll deal with it later...

• 3 weeks later...
Im just starting on my tank and have a question...is your tank a 240 or 280? The top contours are slightly different than mine and the ring sits over the edge of my tank. If you have a 240 tank is it modified to fit the ring? i have a 240 tank and it was modified slightly to conform to the 'ring'.

Also....does anyone know of a proven design that can be used to build a "black box". i do not. It cant be so hard..its a small box...but the hinge doors are my concern. The doors alone cost over $90 from ATL. Im wondering if some other kind of hing would work. we used hinge doors from a local hardware supply, no springs-just gravity. Not to oversimplfy this but what if SS door hinges were attached to the inside of a SS box? This would allow flow in but not out......

I have lots of sheet material and a brake I can use to build this box....just need a few ideas for the hinged doors. Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 Tuff Z/Monzster...you used the black box and have that touchy feely exposure to the ATL unit. Are the ATL hinges on a spring? What do you think of this idea?

hope this helps...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my progress...so far so good.....

Inside is my version of the black box. A SS version that will be bolted to the baffle.

IMG00180.jpg

It will have this valve bolted installed instead of trap doors.

FS-CV100.JPG

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=6470

A friend who is a mechanic on the current GT circuit recommend this set up ...they use these valves for both team cars Decent price, I will try two, left and right and see what happen.

Here the the installed ring...Im very please with the results!

IMG00179.jpg

The lid is SS, Any advice on making my own gasket??

The AN fittings are ready for installation. The feed and return line will be SS.....feed will be bent into shape after the SS box is installed with the ball valves.

In order to have the ring sit flush I leveled the top of the ring to the stock steel tank material near the vent tube. Then I cut and hammered the tank material up (in the indent areas) to form a vertical lip. There is lots there, its easy to work with and welds up perfect. Dont cut out too much as I didn in one spot...or you will be making a patch. It was TIG'd by a good buddy of mine that custom welds for a living.

IMG00177.jpgT

looks great, love to see some closer up pics of those thingys you are using vs. the black box.

a question was asked of me;

David,

Were you able to retain the stock fuel level sender in your modified gas tank? I am about to launch into this project.

Thanks

Matt

yes matt, it worked just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok

here is my final "black box" build.....

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

I made the gasket out of rubber/cork material and the lid is SS. The tubes are SS as well.

Hope it does what I want it tooooooooo.

One thing I would recommend. The fuel level sensor is very close the the SS back box. If I was to do it again I would gof 3.5" deep in to make more clearance.

I ran my stock 240z tank for a year on the street without a single issue.....I guess it depends on how hard you will drive the Z. I want to drive mine harder......:mrgreen:

So is it confirmed or not that a turbo z gas tank will work? or is it only the 75-76?

• 2 years later...