HybridZ

Turbo z gas tank

Guest Reisman240Z

Hi David,

Been running my tank set-up for over 1 year now. I have been autocrossing it as well as daily driving it. I can say I have never had a single problem with fuel starvation. I can run below a 1/4 tank for autocross and not a problem. I will use this same set-up for my turbo motor I am building with no worries.

Jeff

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally got my 'monzter copy' fuel gas tank cell completed and installed. big kudos to jeff for answering my numerous emails, phone calls and questions so i could figure out how to do it. just fired up the z and it [on initial test] works great. i plan to get a few miles on it prior to heading to ohio at the end of this month for the 08 convention and lapping at mid-ohio. i'll post pics soon [tried to upload them but keep getting a 'FastCGI Error' thingy]. advantages; i've retained my spare tire well, looks completely stock from the back or underneath, can be installed in any 240z i may have. disadvantages; took a long time and was $$$.

if this all tests ok, i'll have my early 280z tank for sale. -6 an fittings welded [feed] where the drain plug was, [return] into the stock location. was blasted and powdercoated on the outside but could use a 'coating' inside prior to use.

here are some of my pics. they look nearly the same as monzter's. filled up today, no leaks [thankfully] and so far so good...

here's a shot of the tank [w/o the cap]. the an fittings are for feed [top] and return [bottom]. i used a 1/4 cold rolled steel plate and had an oval cnc'd that provided the form to shape the tank around and the cap to bolt to.

DSC001541.JPG

top shot-shows the atl black box mounted to the added baffle.

DSC001561.JPG

here's a 'final product' pic. gave it a quick flat black rattle can job but ran out of paint before i could hit the top-figured no one sees the top anyway and i'll deal with it later...

DSC00171.JPG

I plan on baffling my tank this winter and was thinking of making one using the ATL trap doors. I dont plan on doing "too" much track time with the Z..........(I have a track SX to thrash:wink:) so keep in mind its not for hard core lapping sessions. I have the following questions....

Can I get away without using the secondary pump? Use the tank to baffle slosh....I also want to avoid using a top hatch and just weld the hole back up.

Why did you use flexible line for the pickup and not a solid line? Did you use their pickup?...if so do you have any comments to share?

I plan on baffling my tank this winter and was thinking of making one using the ATL trap doors. I dont plan on doing "too" much track time with the Z..........(I have a track SX to thrash:wink:) so keep in mind its not for hard core lapping sessions. I have the following questions....

Can I get away without using the secondary pump? Jerry, neither monzter or myself use a secondary pump. the only pump is in-tank-in the atl black box. Use the tank to baffle slosh....I also want to avoid using a top hatch and just weld the hole back up.

Why did you use flexible line for the pickup and not a solid line? there is no real pickup line. Did you use their pickup? yes, inside the atl bb the pump is mounted and attached to the inlet side of it is a 'sock' filter that sits on the bottom of the box-it is the pickup...if so do you have any comments to share?

. jerry, my suggestion-if you want to seal the tank after the mods would be this [monzter feel free to add your thoughs as well]. cut the top open as we did, weld in an additional baffle [similar to what our black box is mounted to] and install the 'trap doors' as we did. i think then i would fabricate some sort of dual or triple pick up system. perhaps a pickup at each end and one in the middle. i'd also probably [for the middle pickup] create a sort of can that attaches to the bottom of the tank with the flappers on it-allowing fuel in but not out.

Thanx 1 tuff z...very helpful.

Sounds like I can .....

Weld in a baffle...how tall?

build 2 black boxes (4x4x4") and attach to the baffle..one on each end

dual pickups, one into each BB

Hard line to AN fittings

Return line into one BB

May be overkill but while Im in there ....what the heck.....

All comments appreciated...I want to do this once and correctly... considering it will be sealed tight.

Thanx 1 tuff z...very helpful.

Sounds like I can .....

Weld in a baffle...how tall? my baffle is approx 3.5" tall

build 2 black boxes (4x4x4") and attach to the baffle..one on each end

dual pickups, one into each BB

Hard line to AN fittings yes

Return line into one BB if you prefer. monzters thought was not to return 'warm' fuel back to the feed. my return dumps back into the bb and no issues...yet

i'd consider the removable cap. if you're interested, i have a second ring for the cap to bolt to. it's a 1/4" cold rolled steel place that was cnc cut, 24 holes around the perimeter, tapped & threaded. i can send u a pic if you'd like.

May be overkill but while Im in there ....what the heck.....

All comments appreciated...I want to do this once and correctly... considering it will be sealed tight.

let me know on the ring...

1 Tuff Z...it looks like you used the molded black box instead of the steel one? If so, how did you attach it to your tank? I'm very glad I found this thread and I'm thinking of using one of their ST520 or ST528 surge tanks.

if you look at the middle pic [overhead shot] in post #24 you'll see that the blackbox is against the 'added' baffle. we bolted it onto the baffle with stainless screws and sits on the bottom of the tank. the atl part number is cfd600 [go to pg1 of this thread and see the atl catalog image monzter posted]. here's a pic of the cnc 'cap ring' i have available.

DSC00182.JPG

I added a fitting to the drain plug in my 240 tank, running to a Walbro 255 LPH inline pump and have not had any fuel starvation problems thus far.

that is how i had my setup-drain plug, filter, pump and still experienced starvation during longer hi-g corners-this was also with an early more baffled 280 tank. go figure.

i was asked this morning "Do you have any more of the steel flanges for use in creating a "monzter" gas tank? If so, please let me know the price."

i contacted my friend who is a cnc machinest and made the 'ring' or steel flange that was used to mod my fuel tank-modeled after monzters.

he told me that to make them, it would be a minimum run of 5 and cost would be $50 + shipping. i asked him that if we had 5 who wanted them could he modify them to have only 1/4" of material outside of the bolt holes vs. the 1/2" he did for me [which was a bit too large and had to be trimmed]. he said no problem.

specs-1/4" cold rolled steel, cnc cut, holes drilled & tapped to fit the atl standard fuel cell blank cap [which is $50 from earls store #1 in calif].

i'm going to post this in the group buy forum...

here's the thead: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=935017#post935017