HybridZ

Homemade cat-back exhaust

mikeatrpi

What size pipe is that-2.5 or 3"?

How long did it take to fab it up...really?

Kind of curious haveing spent some time under there on other people's cars. The clearance over the rear subframe makes me think it's 2.5"---am I right?

Its 2 inch pipe, 16 ga aluminized steel. The bend radius is 4 inches. I spent a Friday and Saturday on it, but its hard to quantify the time because I mowed the lawn and so forth as well. Maybe 10-11 hours? Rusty bolts and a hack saw to get the old one out... measure, cut, tack, test, cut the tack, adjust, tack, repeat... yea that seems about right!

Yeah, it looked like there was a lot of clearance... I know a 3" is REAL tight through there---it's considerably easier with smaller piping. I figured it was a long day making an exhaust from mandrel bends, so that confirms it for me---thanks for the update! For guys saying 'oh, you can make one under $450...when you start figuring parts sure...maybe. But add in honest labor time, and you start seeing 'no such thing as a free lunch!' LOL

I see you thought about the time at least once...he he he!

Well, I've never taken my Z to a shop - except for tires or an inspection - and prefer to do what I can myself. The cost wasn't an issue... $50 for the pipe from JCWhitney is all, and I had the tools. The time doesn't matter if its a "labor of love" as they say. Why bother calling it a hobby if you rationalize everything by its opportunity cost? Haha yes, I did rethink my hours spent!

Its a project I'd certainly do again.

Cool, I'm making an exhaust for my STI. I'm still waiting on the carbon muffler, but I have a little bit done so far. It will be tough to tackle the mid pipe, but I really like doing it.

I bought a 4" down pipe because of the difficulty I would face trying to make the bell housing to the turbocharger. Here is a pic of my progress.

I can't wait to get my Z project here, and start fabbing stuff up for it.

stiexhaust011vw2.jpg

stiexhaust010uf4.jpg

stiexhaust005nv9.jpg

This is all 3" 304L stainless annealed tubing.

Your welds look just fine!

I should be good.. I was MIG welding when I was 16, and TIG welding when I was 18. I'm 21 now.

And 10 hours a day for maybe 6 days a week I use an ACCU-PULSE MIG system.

Certified for both. I love TIG welding though. It is like yoga for me.