HybridZ

9 second RB30 street 240z nearing completion

RIPSNZ

RIP.... hey this is a badass car, its CRAZY =), but i was wondering wat rearend you are running and if you can post or send me some pics of the rear setup

If you go back to the beginning of the thread there's a pic of the rear end. Its an alloy 9 inch head in a braced housing, 4 link, 2 way adjustable shocks etc.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoney, even if you have no converter slip there is no way I can see you getting 150+mph from your gears at 8500rpm.

Well 8500 is only a little over stock redline. the motor is built to handle 10K rpm.... my budget is what is limiting to 8500:biggrin: I will be able to tell on the dyno ( i hope ) if im going to need to regear.

Are you going to be running nitrous to flash the converter? That is really what you need to do as you don't want a super loose converter to build boost on the line. You will slip a lot on the top end if you use a loose converter that builds boost on the trans brake.

No nitrous yet. but if need be i will. Again Im limiting my budget to what it will take as a minimum to get this car to the track in it's present condition.

Again sorry for the thread jack.... back to drooling over ripz car :trippen:

EDIT: just found this link to some usefull calculators. The MPH is what sounds like what ATI was using in my case.

http://www.1bad69.com/calc.htm

with 32 inch tire ( 1 inch growth), rearend gear of 5:13, 8500 rpm, and used the powerglide known ratios of 1.76 and 1.00

low speed equaled 89mph and hi equaled 157.74

I'll be real interested in what actually happens :>

• 1 month later...

We are on the dyno again later today and tomorrow so I'll get a new printout. (around 1500nm @ wheels last time I think)

I went to a meeting last Saturday and good news and 'average' news.

All went well, it was an extreemly hot day and at 1500 feet so we were well down on power but everyone was in the same boat so we all ran slower than usual, must have been 30+ deg c amb, 40-50 track and around 50 in the car, I must have lost 2-3kg today eek.gif

The feild was a little smaller than they expected for such a big import battle so in their infinite wisdom the officials turned the whole meeting into a DYO.

This means everyone raced everyone no matter what you drove or how fast it was. (some guys were getting 4 and 5 second head starts)

We had a couple of practice runs, it was sooo slippery we just spun the tyres and ran a best 60ft of 1.700, qualified No1 for street tyres and No2 overall.

Then they tell me that during competition I can't run under 10.90 or I'd be disqualified confused.gif

After a quick chat with the officials it was decided that under the circumstances 9.99 was the new limit, but no quicker as it was a street meeting.

We ran 10.1 and 10.2 all day just doing what I had to do to win each round, then I dialed in at 9.99, got a 1.67 60ft (whooo hoo!!! lol) , 6.5 second 1/2 track @ 179kph (111mph), passed the other guy at about the 250 meter mark, hit the brakes hard and ran through with a 10.275 @ 174kph (109mph) so it was surely a 9 if I'd kept in it but I would have been eliminated.

At the end of the day we won the meeting, got the $$, the wine, trophy and the certificate and I was happy that under the circumstances, without a 9.99 limit a 9.8-9.9 was probably what she would have run.

Looks like we'll have to wait for a cooler, sea level track to get the mid 9, hopefully the meeting in a weeks time will get us the result.

importbattlecertificateuy7.jpg

We are planning to run again this Saturday at the NZ Drag masters so I'll keep you posted,

Rob

We are on the dyno again later today and tomorrow so I'll get a new printout. (around 1500nm @ wheels last time I think)

Rob

I just ran that through a conversion calculator for myself and the others on here who just can't quite comprehend 1500nm... here's what I got

1500 newton meter = 1106.343 pound foot
Now thats some numbers to be proud of no matter how its written.

Dragonfly

I just ran that through a conversion calculator for myself and the others on here who just can't quite comprehend 1500nm... here's what I got Now thats some numbers to be proud of no matter how its written.

Dragonfly

that is just nuts and i totally agree :) that is sweet u got close to the 9's rob and u won the event cant wait to see what she does all out:)

I'm not sure about the 1100 odd lbft (the conversion is correct though), it really depends on which dyno you use as they all read differently, some dyno's I've been on have given over 2700Nm.

We regularly show 1500-1800Nm at the wheels on the dyno we use but we also generally agree that they are 700-900bhp engines so the lbft should be in the 650-850 range I'd say.

In any case, we use the dyno for comparison only against other cars run on the same dyno, you can't use our numbers as any sort of reference to numbers you may get.

I'm happy that the a 10.2 @ 109 mph, hitting the brakes just after half track and with such a slippery start (1.67 60ft) is a sign that good things are bound to come soon.

Rob

Have followed this build, and others, on the UK GTR forums. I'm very very impressed by your work. Both fabrication and at the track.

That Z is a mean machine, and its only just getting started. You havent blown the budget yet have you?

Makes a man reconsider the VK56 for a RB, even if the RB is 3x as expensive initially :P

I just ran that through a conversion calculator for myself and the others on here who just can't quite comprehend 1500nm... here's what I got Now thats some numbers to be proud of no matter how its written.

Dragonfly

Dont forget, that is 1.500Nm on the wheels after gear ratio. Not 1500 at the flywheel.

Need to know the gear ratios of the gear used on the dynorun to get actual engine torque. Rob?

Have followed this build, and others, on the UK GTR forums. I'm very very impressed by your work. Both fabrication and at the track.

That Z is a mean machine, and its only just getting started. You havent blown the budget yet have you?

Dont forget, that is 1.500Nm on the wheels after gear ratio. Not 1500 at the flywheel.

Need to know the gear ratios of the gear used on the dynorun to get actual engine torque. Rob?

Correct, buit if you devide 1000lbft by the diff ratio of 4.88 that gives 204lbft which I'm sure we all agree is no-where near what it is.

As I say, I just use the dyno for comparison against other cars we've done on it, the mph on the 1/4 verses the weight of the car gives a pretty acurate measure of the power and as you say, we are only just getting started, 20psi on petrol, no NOS is nothing for this motor, once we get some good fuel in it, some decent boost and maybe the nos we'll hopefully see the mph go well into the 150s.

The 146.5mph was done on 4.88s and if you listen just before the finish line you can hear the engine on the rev limiter in top:

We now have 4.56s (and did have last weekend) so this problem shouldn't show up again for quite some time,

Rob

Quick update, Very pleased with the results, I'll keep the dyno printout to myself but I can give some figures:

Peek torque 2229Nm (previous best on the same dyno was 1800Nm which was in a 4070lb car that ran mid 10's) and we gained more power :D

I'll see how we go tomorrow and post some results.

Rob

Rob,

Since you are running a similar intake and TB as me what throttle cable are you using? The one I had for the old setup is toooo long and would like to get one that is closer to the correct length.

Thanks

Stony

Rob,

Since you are running a similar intake and TB as me what throttle cable are you using? The one I had for the old setup is toooo long and would like to get one that is closer to the correct length.

Thanks

Stony

Stony don't forget that our Zed here in NZ are RHD.

Had a fantastic day at the drags yesterday, went much better than I could have hoped for.

The NZ Drag masters is a teams race meeting where they put V8 racers agains Jappa racers and they pair you up against someone running a similar time.

As this is a new car we were not paired against anyone in the drag masters part of the event but we planned on enetering the 8.90 - 9.90 bracket.

The aim of the day was to beat the current NZ record of 9.59 for a full street jap car.

I was on fully treaded, wet weather suitable street tyres, I had full exhaust with muffler, the wastegate was plumbed back into the exhaust, NO weight was stripped from the car and no NOS was used during any run although I did try tapping a 50 shot on the transbrake to get boost up quicker but it didn't seem to make much difference.

1st run off the trailer 9.2 @ 147

Next run a 9.3 @ 147

Then the officials tell me I am now in the drag masters and have to race a tubbed, slicked mustang V8 with a very experienced driver :eek: I was sh*ting myself to say the least.

I had to race the same guy 3 times and a win gave the team points towards the overall winning team (jap or V8) of the drag masters.

1st round of competition I holeshotted the guy and ran 9.337 @ 147.86 to his 9.406 @ 146.16

I decided I'd better make a few small changes to improve my time in case the guy beat me out of the hole next time.

2nd round of competition I holeshotted him again and ran a 9.077 @ 152.38 to his 9.473 @ 145.88

The timing lights didn't work so I'll post the timeslips later.

3rd round of competition he redlighted and I ran a 9.065 @ 151.09 to his 9.771 @ 139.59

All in all a great day, going to make a few more small changes and go for an 8 on the treaded tyres then go to a decent DOT tyre, wind up the boost, add the NOS and see what happens.

Rob