HybridZ

Mounting the A1000 fuel pump

zxgtr

Hello all..

I've done some searching about how/where to mount the A1000 fuel pump but felt I need to ask before I mount mine.

I read that the pump's inline needs to be level with the outlet of the gas tank, or a little lower.

I have a RCI fuel cell that has a 2" sump in it.

I cant really mount the A1000's inlet level with the outlet on the sump, it can go about 1-1.5" above the outlets but inline would make the pump almost the lowest thing back there.

Can some A1000 owners post pictures of how their pump is mounted?

Is it going to be ok if the pump is mounted a little above the outlets on the sump?

Thanks all! Got my RCI tank mounted real nice, just need the pump on there and I can plan how to run the lines!

Hello all..

I've done some searching about how/where to mount the A1000 fuel pump but felt I need to ask before I mount mine.

I read that the pump's inline needs to be level with the outlet of the gas tank, or a little lower.

I have a RCI fuel cell that has a 2" sump in it.

I cant really mount the A1000's inlet level with the outlet on the sump, it can go about 1-1.5" above the outlets but inline would make the pump almost the lowest thing back there.

Can some A1000 owners post pictures of how their pump is mounted?

Is it going to be ok if the pump is mounted a little above the outlets on the sump?

Thanks all! Got my RCI tank mounted real nice, just need the pump on there and I can plan how to run the lines!

Who told you it had to be lower? I was pretty sure that the A1000 will suck the fuel up...

BTW, make sure you RUBBER MOUNT it. It is loud and vibrates a lot. If you hard mount it it only makes it worse. Also, your car MUST be set up to have the fuel pump running while you are cranking as the pump won't hold fuel pressure while it is off. I know some cars prime the pump when key is turned on and then it shuts off and doesn't come back on until the car is started. The A1000 must be running while the car is cranking or you have zero fuel pressure.

I got the level idea from:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120663

Thanks for the tips!

There is no mention of the Aeromotive pump in that discussion. The root issue is that some aftermarket pumps WILL prime themselves and some won't. The ones that won't MUST always be below fuel level so that fuel will naturally fall via gravity to the inlet. They can't deal with air.

Some of the other aftermarket pumps have a different displacement method that will also displace air and therefor siphon the fuel up to themselves at start (ie., self priming). I was pretty sure the A1000 was a self priming even if they don't tell you that for their own safety reasons. It's always a good idea to gravity feed if packaging allows.

Honestly, seeing the way an S30 is built, the 044 Bosch pump looks like the way to go.

Mark

Thanks all.

** revised **

I called Aeromotive to make sure that the A1000 will work for my setup and ATM it wont,

I purchased the pump for future upgrades (and to hopefully work for current) but with the palnet fuel rail being 6AN the pump wont work for the current setup.

Are there any pumps like the 044 Bosch with AN fittings? It sure seems to be popular.

I used to have the A1000 pump and must say it was the biggest hunk of aluminium crap I've ever had. I double isolated if with rubber mounts and you could still hear it over the straight DP.

I went with the big walbro pump with AN adapters and she works great....It's still double isolated like the old pump...but the new one is whisper quiet....its amazing!

check Ebay for walbro pumps with the AN adapters.

Thanks all.

** revised **

I called Aeromotive to make sure that the A1000 will work for my setup and ATM it wont,

I purchased the pump for future upgrades (and to hopefully work for current) but with the palnet fuel rail being 6AN the pump wont work for the current setup.

Are there any pumps like the 044 Bosch with AN fittings? It sure seems to be popular.

Good deal.

Seems there was only 1 on ebay and the person only posts them once a month so I picked up a:

Walbro 255 Inline fuel pump GSL 392 With -6 fittings

Should work just fine!

Now to ditch the A1000! I think for the `future upgrades` I'll put on another Walbro 255.

• 2 weeks later...

The A1000 is not a big hunk of aluminum crap. Comparing it to a Walbro NVH-wise is definitely not it's strong suit, but it supports about TWICE what a walbro will. It's a big and nasty race pump for the most part; thus the noise and vibration issues aren't much of a problem for it's primary application. Walbros will only go to about 500.

I've used them on 'street' cars before. Yeah, they are noisy and they vibrate, but I've driven too many very loud and very fast turbo cars before for it to bother me. It's more of a comforting sound because I know my fuel supply is still working. :-)

Dual walbros is a good solution but some worry that you could have one fuel pump fail and still be able to start and drive without knowing you don't have enough fuel for boost. I've heard of only one or two cars have that issue but they both ended up damaging the motor.

It wasnt just the noise, It was the fact that it was constantly failing and being sent back for repair. First it started running backwards...no biggie I guess...just swap the ground for +. Then it would pump at all, just make this god awful screatching noise. Leaking housings, seperating magnets on the motor, blah blah blah. Multiple rounds of repairs followed by new and fascinating problems led me to declare it a hunk of crap. Race pump or not, for 300+ dollars I better get more than 200 miles from it.

• 4 weeks later...