HybridZ

How to Reboot 280zxt cv shafts?

v80z

I promise I have diligently searched. There does not seem to be any straightforward method. I read the thread about Raxle.com and I read Terry Oxandale's coverage of the issue. Is there a thread out there I missed?

If not I need to replace both inner and out boots on my CV shafts. The original boots seem to be wedged between the sheet metal covering of the joints. I have had them in with cygnusx cv adapters and the have been working fine. I noticed some grease build up in the area and have taken them back out for rebuild. I have boot kits. I just want to know the best way to go about this without tearing anything up.

thanks

Joe

The outer boots are fairly simple. But for tips on removing the inner boots you must have missed my post, so to paraphrase:

“The CV axle inner joints can be re-built. I have done several sets. The inner boot metal band must be cut off to remove the inner boot. Note: The FSM tells you to cut it in the wrong location!

You need to cut the band just over the top of the o-ring groove. This will cause less damage to the tripod housing (which must be re-used). You get a new o-ring in the rebuild kits so you can cut into the old o-ring without worry.

To install the new boot I make four pairs of saw cuts (about an inch apart) around the perimeter of the top of the band. These “tabs†are then pressed (or hammered) down, securing the inner boot. The exposed groove is then filled with RTV. It helps to have a hydraulic press to clamp the assembly down while you are bending the tabs.

If I ever re-build any more CV axles I will first make a collar on my lathe with a tapered inner surface that fit over the band. Then with a press I hopefully will better able to duplicate the factory method and its appearance.â€

Well I got this done. Not as hard as I thought it would be. I finally found this post. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116211&highlight=cv+boot.

Admins it needs to be made a sticky!!!!

Thanks to all who went before me.

I cut the first band axially like in the pics of the thread above. The 2nd one I just cut the bent lip off around the circumference of the band so as not to damage the o ring.

Now that I understand I have another set to rebuild and will try JohnC's method of heating the bent lip and opening them up that way.

I got my kits from Rock Auto. I will post the brand later. They did not come with a new O ring. they did come with a snap ring the sixe of a quarter. the outer tripod came off with a press and I did not remove any snap ring. So I did not use the snap ring. I guess some models had snap rings instead of press and peen?

Has anyone looked at the CV joints from an M30 Infiniti? They look to have the same tripod setup as the 280zx CV's but the inner housing seems to have a removable boot. I have one in the garage so I'll tear it apart to see if it's compatible.

... they did come with a snap ring the sixe of a quarter. the outer tripod came off with a press and I did not remove any snap ring. So I did not use the snap ring. I guess some models had snap rings instead of press and peen?

Yes, the Z31 non-turbo CV axles used a snap-ring in a machined groove to retain the tripod bearings. A much better technique than the S130 CV axles.