HybridZ

tech9's 77 280z - $400 project

I thought I would make this interesting and have a few pictures showing the progress on my car. I will update it as progress happens.

Here is the car on the street right before I bought it.

Jul05_001_thumb.jpg

It didn't look too nice, but was defiantly worth it.

IMG_1339_thumb.JPG

IMG_1340_thumb.JPG

IMG_1341_thumb.JPG

IMG_1342_thumb.JPG

Ended up tearing apart the motor, changing the head gasket, cleaning up the emissions, etc. Finally got it running....

Decided to try the rustoleum paint job.

Didn't find too many surprises while sanding, normal bondo here and there.

IMG_1361_thumb.JPG

IMG_1360_thumb.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Based on the overspray you see on the newspapers in the engine bay Im guessing he spayed it.

EDIT: So what kind of paint and gun was used?

I have this really nice Bink's gun that we were going to use, but for some reason kept glogging up, so we used our backup $9 harbor freight gravity feed gun. Worked well, just more work to clean up the clear coat later.

The paint we used was ppg, from the local paint store.

Finished product here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132565

• 2 months later...

herculiner from checker actually, i read a lot of people saying it was the best. $100 for the kit, and I still have some left for touchups later.

It worked great, just don't get it on your hands.

There is still a few places I want to cover up with fiberglass, but this is a great start.

I sure hope you made fifty million times sure there was absolutely nothing underneath that bedliner but unrusted, virgin metal....(primer acceptable too..)

I hate to nitpick or criticize butmy initial reaction was "hey, thats a neat idea.. it IS better than ragged carpet or the factory "finish" that is found lurking beneath said carpet.. " And then I realized that I could never do that because I would NEVER feel confident enough that I had eliminated the rust from MY car. Other cars, certainly, but I was hesitant to fiberglass in the passenger floorboard for the same reason, until I rationalized it by telling myself I can cut the glass and a margin of metal out when I DO get to rust repair that thorough. (I was also motivated when a 5 D-cell Mag-Lite fell out of one of the holes in the passenger "floorboard" that had been ridiculously covered up and ignored for the time being by yours truly.. Ah, to be 19 again!)

Are you planning on putting any more finished upholstery over that at any future point? Also, how much did this bedliner stuff weigh in the end?? under 5 pounds, 5-10.. not more? Just curious. Its bound to have beneficial sound deadening and insulating effects, and it put me in mind of how people talk of that material as weight to be shed in the quest for low "body fat."

Had a buddy do that to his Supra (gutted the interior from the front seats back) and was considering it if the interior in the Z I get it is gross. I planned to put carpet over mine, are you planning on leaving it as is?

Well, I actually didn't have must rust damage (for a z), there were a few places where the water must have pooled (where the drain plugs were). I actually took all the drain plugs out, and glassed over them, I did clean the area good with a wire brush and made sure there was no loose metal.

I was going to put more glass on the bottom and maybe even some bedliner under a few "rust prone" areas. I can assure this stuff defiently has a water tight seal if put on correctly.

I had a trash can that I threw the old carpet and misc in and it was at least 2x (ore more) the weight of the material I put on. I agree, there is a huge sound deadening effect with this.

If this was not a Colorado car all its life, I would have defiently cut out and replaced metal.

Well, I actually didn't have must rust damage (for a z), there were a few places where the water must have pooled (where the drain plugs were). I actually took all the drain plugs out, and glassed over them, I did clean the area good with a wire brush and made sure there was no loose metal.

That looks nice. I am in the process of redoing my floors as well. I took up all the old insulation using the "great" dry ice method. I then started the tedious process of stripping the paint off because I planned (and bought already) using POR15 and Dynamat.

I have heard of using the bedliner after I already got far along on this part of my project, its nice to see a pic of it.

I have a found a couple small holes in the pass. floorboard where it meets the firewall, right above the framerail. After digging some more, I opened up about a 2 inch hole in the floor and an inch hole in the frame rail. I just got a fram rail from Bad Dog last week. Unfortunately, I can weld so I hooked up with a guy to cut and put in the new metal, weld up the rail and then while he has it, weld up all the rivet holes from the body side moulding.

Keep us posted on your progress, I may change mid stream and go your way vs. the POR15 as I have heard of it peeling up if not perfectly applied.

I've seen a lot of Jeep people use POR, that's where I originally got the idea for this. It all depends on your interior. I didn't want the carpet or any of that stuff. My frame rail is trashed, i'm going to have to fab up some new stuff, just wondering if there are strong enough places to weld it up to.

I was thinking about some Dynamat, but that would be a PITA to install in this car. I would like to see it installed.