HybridZ

y44 v8 in 240z

Guest y44nissan

Guest y44nissan

Just thought I'd intro my car. It is a 71 240z with a y44 nissan v8 and matching (from donor car) three speed auto. The only engine mod is the GM HEI distributor. Started it for the first time last week. No exhaust, (loud) but sounds good!icon7.gif Needs exhaust, brakes, interior, tires, paint, etc... If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them. A couple of pics of car are in the members gallery.

Guest y44nissan

The donor vehicle was a mid 70's President limo from Japan. As the story goes the car was imported from Japan by a busnessman in New York City to use as his daily driver and subsequently was wrecked. The engine and tranny then made its way to West Plains Missouri where it spent a year in a 1936 Chevy rod. The chevy guy sold it to me because he got tire of being harrassed by other chevy guys about having a "rice burner" motor in his truck.

!NICE Z!

well ive found the y44 to be a very smooth engine nice power nothing earth shattering about 220 hp at the flywheel ran aftermarket ignition and holley 600 vacum secondary and then 600 double pumper with a hand built extractors and twin 2 inch system very reasonable on fuel about 300 km to a 60 litre tank

Guest y44nissan

Do you have any idea how much more this engine weighs than the 6 cyl? When I acquired this motor to put in my Z I searched the web and only found your car as an example of this conversion. Nicely done!! What motor do you have in your Z now?

Finally another one of these motors in the states! I have a Y40 with a custom bellhousing to run a datsun 4-5 speed. Y44Nissan, have you torn the engine down before? What parts did you use to rebuild everything if so? I believe you and i together can figure out what we need to build one of these motors up. The internals are similar if not identical to some domestic motors.

So thats 2 confirmed Yxx motors in the states! It feels good to be unique, hehe.:icon6:

Guest y44nissan

DavidK, I haven't torn my motor down. It only has about 26,000 miles on it. A 5-speed would be sweet!! Do you have any pics of the bellhousing/transmission? I am going to try and get a rebuild kit or @ least major gaskets through a friend of mine who deals engines out of Japan. I'll let you know if this works out. Do you still have the magazine article on Paul Newman's ttv8 race car? If you do or know someone who does I would like a copy. I'm thinking about a Rotrex supercharger setup.

• 2 weeks later...

i did weigh both motors and boxes but dont know what the exact weights are now on memory i think the v8 combo was about 50 kg heavier but not sure now

currently changing to a ls1 motor myself while ive been happy with the nissan the need for more power has lead me to the ls1

i did get a full gasket kit for the y44 with thoughts of chasing more hp a friend has a y40 in pieces and it looks really well made with plenty of room to chase more hp but when you have to develop it all yourself with no aftermarket parts avaliable i find the ls1 route a simplier way to chase that hp fix

luv to see some one develop a ground stomping y44 good luck

mick

How funny you reply. I was just spending the day researching the motor. Im starting to think that the Y engines from Nissan were based on the Y block from Ford. Check this out and compare the ford y block pics with your engine. Take note in specs too :)

http://www.ford-y-block.com

So far the exhaust manifold and head bolts by the manifold are friggin identical!

y44Nissan, Heres those pics you were waiting for.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest y44nissan

Sorry for the delay,

The clearance between the distributor and the intake is the issue. The bolt hole nearest the distributor had to be machined off and a new smaller diameter ear welded on that would use an allen head bolt. Not sure about shaft length issues on the distributor but I know the gear is the metric one from the original distributor.