HybridZ

cataclysmic engine faliure?

jimbo5670

yes its another wtf is wrong with the car, so sorry guys in advance, hah

ok, just got the engine back together, chucked it in, running stock l28et with fresh bottom end.

hooked everything up, started her, running rough, wrong firing order

fixed that, started it up, running a little rough, bit rich on startup

took the megasquirt startup value at 70 and 80 degrees from 135 % to 132%

burned it to ecu

started it back up, idled at 600rpm for 1-2 sec then BANG

looked at the motor, water/coolant was pouring out of what looked like the head, and it was louder running, turned it off and the rad. emptied out real quick

so, everything looks like it points to the head gasket, which i GUESS could be the case, because it has about 80k on it, but it wasnt under any real stress, but i dono, im new at this, if anyone could give me a few things to check, it could greatly reduce the frustration!!

by the way, it was working well, running 6lbs for a month, another reason i dont think it was the gasket, dono

thanks for reading this,

matt

• Administrators

Your post is a little hazey, (anxiety post, I understand), I just want to clarify the situation..

So you literally just rebuilt the short block and fired it up, not driving it yet, but in the drive way with only maybe less than a minute run time on this new bottom end, this occurred? Any head work done?

When you say BANG, did it actually make a loud BANG sound?

When you say

Do you mean that you reused the head gasket? Is this a stamped steel shim style head gasket or an OE, Felpro, Victor Reinz etc?

Any pictures of the region spewing coolant?

Any more detailed info you can give us?

That's what I got from the post "just got the engine back together" and then "because it has about 80k on it,".

I would NEVER re-use a head gasket even if it only had a few hundred miles on it. Once you compress the HG for the first time when you torque down the head bolts, most head gaskets shouldn't be re-used.

ok, allow me to elaberate now that the frustration has subsided a bit. i had not touched the top end of the motor except for for a different valve cover. i pulled the motor to replace the rear main seal, and decided to do the bearings while i was down there. and yes the BANG i had said was deffinatly a bang, about the same loudness and sound as a car backfiring. I think i am going to do a bit of investigating later todaybut when i was looking, i could not see the source of the waterfall.

By the way, nice one with the cataclysmic converter, i just wanted to use that word.

thanks yall,

matt