HybridZ

HKS GTSS turbos

Zardilla

Folks,

My order for a set of HKS GTSS turbos from Nengun just arrived. Worringly, the turbo housings have no HKS badging at all. The number tag on the units lists part number 707160-9 which is a number for the standard Garrett equivalents. I have an email into Nengun regarding this and they may in fact be genuine HKS units however, does anyone know if HKS sells its turbos without any indication of manufacturer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt

Folks,

My order for a set of HKS GTSS turbos from Nengun just arrived. Worringly, the turbo housings have no HKS badging at all. The number tag on the units lists part number 707160-9 which is a number for the standard Garrett equivalents. I have an email into Nengun regarding this and they may in fact be genuine HKS units however, does anyone know if HKS sells its turbos without any indication of manufacturer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt

IF i remember, nengun has good prices, and they're probably somewhat of an OEM middle-man warehouse, before the go to HKS for badging.

So it's quite possible that they're cheaper in price because they have no name, but Nengun knows who they're supposed to go to next, instead they take a detour to the purchasers (you) house.

could be true, i'm anxious to hear their reply. :mrgreen:

I have now traded emails with Nengun regarding this. They maintain they have indeed sent me the correct kit (HKS 11004-AN002). The documentation I have suggests this may be correct (part numbers do match). However, I have spoken with HKS USA and they indicated that all of their parts have the firm's logo attached in some fashion (in the casting or on the tag).

It's possible that HKS didn't bother to tag these turbos with their name but that would be different from all of their other products. It causes a big problem between customer and vendor because there is no way (for the layman) to determine if these are genuine parts.

For all intents and purposes the Garrett equivalents are very very close in terms of specification, however HKS has proprietary compressor wheels and that is what I was after. These HKS wheels may have been loaded into generic Garrett housings but there should be some indication of this.

I will let you know of any other info I get from Nengun.

BTW - all the other parts I ordered (cams, cam wheels, turbo elbows, injectors, PFC) are genuine and my previous order from Nengun was correct so ultimately everything may be legit.

I have attached pictures of the turbo and tag.

IMG_0885a_thumb.jpg

IMG_0878a_thumb.jpg

IMG_0880a_thumb.jpg

IMG_0881a_thumb.jpg

IMG_0884a_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I showed these turbos to my mechanic (who has worked on a number of GTR's here in the NW) and he believes these are genuine HKS so I have left it at that. Nevertheless, HKS would save customers considerable grief by labeling their turbos consistently. I haven't yet got these on my engine as it is still in the process of being rebuilt. I guess only after my car is running again will I be able to provide some feedback on performance.

However, the guys on skylinesaustralia.com seem to be big fans of the GTSS units. There is an RB26 forced induction thread on that board that has lots of dyno results with these turbos. I would estimate that many of the folks are seeing 350-400 rwhp at 18psi. Not too bad for what is the first step up from the stock units.

Alex,

I know that is what Stony and Brad D were close to with their original setups so I think that's correct but the stock turbos are close to maxing out from what I understand (can't run over 1bar without destroying the ceramic compressor wheels).

The 350-400rwhp figure is just my estimate using the dyno charts the Aussie guys are showing but that is at around 18psi. HKS shows a dyno chart of 575hp at 1.4bar (20psi) but I don't read Japanese and can't tell if this is flywheel or at the rear wheels. I think it may be flywheel since they rate the turbos at 280hp each. With say a 15% drivetrain loss, that suggests with proper tuning these are good for 480rwhp (and with a decent amount of space under the curve).

In any event I tend to think the GTSS or 707160-9 turbos are likely to yield a some increase in power( dependably so) but a good tune will also be critical. With luck my tuner can do so.

Bear in mind I am shooting for near stock response with a decent boost in performance. Going to 2530's would have provided more upside (albeit with more lag) but in a 2400 lbs car I think 400rwhp will more than meet my needs(street and a couple of HPDE per year).

Matt

I made 392 at the wheels on 91 oct with stock turbos and 15 PSI. upgrade the wheels and some slight mods to the stock turbos and they are good for 500 at the wheels.

Quentin is running larger comp. wheels and slight mods to the R33 gtr turbos (or R34, can't remember), and it's made him in excess of 500hp

Quentin is running larger comp. wheels and slight mods to the R33 gtr turbos (or R34, can't remember), and it's made him in excess of 500hp

I am running R32 turbos - modified with 30% larger compressor wheels, ported, larger waste flapper - and better down pipes. At 18psi I get 432 RWHP @ ~5500 RPM. Peak Torque at 4000rpm.

q