HybridZ

Ford header fabrication

blueovalz

I finally got the passenger side only header fabricated. I had to change my planned 4-into-1 arrangement to a 4-to-2-to-1 (Tri-Y basically) due to the large road pan which has a large kickout, the larger motor, and the low ride height. With all that said, this arrangement put the squeeze on my options.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Beautiful. I love the way you have built your car with so many "budget" parts but is THE most beautiful widebody Z EVER!

Wonderful fabrication!

You have been a big inspiration to me and the other kids on here!

Big Thanks!!

(I'd also like to know how you weld inside the tubes on the collector...from the inside before the outer collector and then just the outer part? :-D)

Dan

good observation. Yes, the wood simulates the frame rail so that I can weld up the headers and know that they will fit the chassis. The engine has the same ground clearnance that the previous engine has, but it is a "wet" system. It provides a 4" ground clearance on the oil pan, BUT, the sump of the pan is just behind the axle. This position allows the sump to move pretty much as the wheels do, which makes speed bumps a non-issue. I had thought about a rear sump, but the sump would drag more often because the sump is far enough behind the axle that the sump would be on top of the speed bumpsonce the front wheels had cleared the bump.

Did you beat the fire wall any? Are you using a Fox pan? I'm guessing complete custom mounting? I think I would drop the V8 alot more, I just didn't since it is already below the frame rails (talking about where the driver/pass sit). How far below those rails does yours sit? I am wishing I spent the money and went dry sump, that engine could sit so much lower (like yours).

Did you beat the fire wall any? Are you using a Fox pan? I'm guessing complete custom mounting? I think I would drop the V8 alot more, I just didn't since it is already below the frame rails (talking about where the driver/pass sit). How far below those rails does yours sit? I am wishing I spent the money and went dry sump, that engine could sit so much lower (like yours).

No beating of the firewall, and yes, the engine is custom mounted (front and rear engine plates bolted to the crossmember/frame rails. The bottom of the pan is about 7" below the bottom of the frame rail, which is a about 1" more than I am comfortable with, so I may lift it up a tad.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, my goal was to have a semi-decent design as far as flow, performance (focus was torque), clearance around the steering rod, T/C bushing and box, wide oil pan, and frame rails. Add to that being able to install these from above above was the next priority, and fortunately, I managed that as well. The current set-up has the headers within a couple of thousanths of the steering rod, which must be removed for installation. On the new ones, the steering rod stays in place and the headers go in without removing the rod.

Now thats a nice and sharp looking job that you have done there. You will be amazed and pleased with the 383 in your Z. I've been running a 393 in my 94 F150 and it will slap you in the seat, even at 70 or 80 mph. I can just imagine how it would be in a little Z car with a standard tranny.