HybridZ

Which spare tire fits upgraded brakes?

I'm getting ready to take an extended road trip in the Z and figure I should have a spare that fits. I seem to remember someone saying that a Honda 15" compact spare would clear the Toyota 4x4 vented brake upgrade, but I'm not finding anything searching.

Anyone know which spares (likely to be in a JY) would clear the bigger brakes and still fit in the spare tire wheel well in the back? BTW, can't just swap front and rear since I have the 240sx upgrade in the rear.

On my 260Z the stock Z spare wheel will clear the Z31 vented rotor with the wide Toyota caliper setup. I’m not just repeating that statement, I have actually verified it. My spare is 5†wide. The diameter of the spare is not relevant.

Besides, people seem to forget that all you really need is a spare tire/wheel that will fit on the rear which usually remains unmodified with regards to brakes. So if you have a flat on a front tire you can move a rear wheel to the front and use the spare at the rear. More of a hassle, but doable.

Before I sold my spare (73) I tried a test fit and it failed on both front and back.

I'm afraid out here in Colorado finding a spare from a '74 is likely impossible.

How are others with brake upgrades dealing with spare tires (besides just not having one)?

I've got a spare that came off I think an early Maxima (Sorry don't remember the year). It's 16" and fairly narrow. it clears my 240sx calipers with no problem. Will not work on the front of mine though because I'm running Wilwoods.

First gen Maximas(80-84) came in two forms. 4 door sedan(IRS) and a station wagon(solid axle). Do you know if the spare is any different?

I went to the JY today and found a compact spare from a 93 Hyundai elantra that fits, at least the rear. The center hole is too small to fit over the front hub. Unfortunately with the LSD I'm not happy about the idea of having the smaller spare on one side, but I suppose in an emergency it will get me to a place where I can get the original tire repaired/replaced. With a little luck I won't need it anyway.

P1000104 (Medium)_thumb.JPG