HybridZ

280zx instrument cluster

plexus

Here's a link(http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/Gauges.html) to my webpage about installing the Autometer gauges in my main cluster. I am also using Autometer gauges in my 3 center pods.

Guy

you cluster looks great, your running a v8 am i right. well do you think this will work with the l28(i dont care about cruise ctrl or the lady). im pretty handy with a tool belt so im not worried about the install mod work or wiring. my concern is i buy the gauges then find out its not possible with the l28.

I'm sure its possible. You would have to buy a mechanical speedo and then you would have to find the right gear for the sender. The tach has a little switch on the back for 4, 6, and 8 cylinders so that should be pretty easy to hook up. The rest of the gauges come with their own senders so that shouldn't be a problem either.

I would do some searching for mechanical speedo hook ups on the L28 and see what you find. I don't konw exactly how you would go about this but I'm sure its been done.

Guy

Not to sidetrack the thread, but along the same topic is the fuel gauge issue.

The issue is that the stock ZX Fuel Gauge has 2 actual needles, and 2 sending units in the tank itself, or at least 2 circuits as the wiring diagrams show. 1 main and 1 sub.

If one were to use an Autometer gauge, it would be apparently obvious that neither of the 2 sending unit circuits would accomplish sending the correct signal to the Autometer gauge. Autometer does, however, make a programmable gauge that could be used if there were a "single" sending unit that would fit the ZX tank.

Since Nissan/Datsun only made the 200SX, 210, 310, 720, Maxima, Sentra and Stanza in and around 1982, other than the 280ZX, does anybody know if any of those model vehicles had a single sending unit that would fit the ZX tank. (I know the Sentra had an in-tank pump, so we can rule that one out).

I realize the Autometer gauge can be used as 80LT1 did, but I'm looking for something that would be more accurate and should be more linear in it's display of fuel level.

How about it, anybody want to shed any light on this?

Warren

^^^ its not really a side track warren you raised a interesting question regarding the the fuel sensor. i am very interested in in all the information i can get on changing the center cluster out and updating not only the look but fuctionality of this out dated module.

With the fuel gauge sender I used the stock one, it has a single float with two separate sub circuits. Its just a matter of identifying which pins on the top of the sender to use.

Used VDO gauges on mine but its all custom, there is a pic in my site gallery, click on the link below.