HybridZ

Identifying Close ratio tranny

ArnZ

The speedO gear color will indicate what diffy gear it was mated with however, the only way I know to I.D. a close ratio unit is to check the tranny p/n and cross reference it against the models that came with the close ratio tranny....280ZX 1983, 1984, & 1985!!!? Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance!

Tom

I bought a 75 280Z with two extra transmissions. One is supposedly a "Close Ratio"? I really didn't think much of it at the time, but thought I would research a little to find out what it is. I also got a (supposedly) Q45 LSD or VLSD.

I'd check the zhome.com information first and see if you can figure it out. If you can't the other way to do it is to put the trans in a gear and mark the input and output shafts, and then spin the input until the output makes one revolution. Count the number of revolutions for the input, and that would tell you the gear ratio.

You can then use a chart like the one on this page: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/ to figure out which one you have. You can check more than one gear if you're not sure.

If you do have a Nissan Comp transmission they're worth some $$$ these days, so definitely check it out.

The later Comp transmissions had the number stamped onto the top in large [maybe 1/2"] stamps. Numbers like N3201 for the "rallye" ratios, N3220 for the super close direct fifth [not bloody likely though!]. Not all got even these indicators. Not all still have the same gears in them. Mostly you have to take them apart to tell, but then since they are race parts, they always need to be taken apart anyway....

I think he is simply referring to the fact that later 5 speeds had a gear or two that were closer than the early 5 speeds. Not exactly a Close Ratio trans per se, but closer than the earlier 5 speed. Mine has the same thing. It is indeed fairly close, but certainly not a race trans or anything.

You can also tell by the shifter. The early transmissions have two small nylon bushings with a pin/circlip that hold the shifter in. The later ZX transmissions have much larger bushings, with a spring inside. So with the early transmission, the shifter has a small round hole for the pin, where the later ones have a large square hole for the pin and bushing assembly (and a spring).

You can also tell by the shifter. The early transmissions have two small nylon bushings with a pin/circlip that hold the shifter in. The later ZX transmissions have much larger bushings, with a spring inside. So with the early transmission, the shifter has a small round hole for the pin, where the later ones have a large square hole for the pin and bushing assembly (and a spring).

Unless someone like me swapped the shifters...

I don't think they are swappable Jon.

Been running a 4 speed truck shifter with the small nylon bushings in mine for 8 years. There was a thread on it a while back about short shifters. Apparently my ghetto version short shifter isn't as short as the Nissan Comp version, but it does work.

Been running a 4 speed truck shifter with the small nylon bushings in mine for 8 years. There was a thread on it a while back about short shifters. Apparently my ghetto version short shifter isn't as short as the Nissan Comp version, but it does work.

The later shifter is shorter, and has a better feel. The bushings are also a lot more rugged. You just need to heat it and bend it to contour the same as the older shifter. After doing that, it just pops out of the top of the shift boot.

The 4 speed shifter has a longer shaft from the pivot to the ball, and hence a shorter throw. I have an early 70, so I cut it off right above the ball, welded it back on at a 90 degree angle pointing straight back, then bent it up so that it comes straight out the console hole. Then I cut it to the length I wanted and ran a die down it to thread on a stock ball.

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1598.jpg

More info: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96707