HybridZ

Found On Ebay 240z L28et Hybrid Downpipe Worth Buying?

REISHOKIN240Z

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240Z-HYBRID-L28ET-2-5-INCH-TURBO-DOWNPIPE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ003QQitemZ130145890298QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

hey fellas just wondering do you think this thing is worth getting? i know these things are hard to come by. Does anyone know of a company who does make them or is this a pretty good deal?

lol, i always wonder why they charge so much for downpipes on ebay, msa, ect. the only thing they weld on is the bung and turbo flange. like cygnus says, just have an exhaust shop make the WHOLE thing for you. I'm shooting for 3in all the way back. shouldnt be much more than what your paying for just the downpipe .

$200 for a downpipe:shock:. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that. That is literally about 20 bucks in materials and 5 min of welding.... Im with everyone else, have an turbo back exhaust made for $300. My exhaust was really REALLY expensive but thats just because none of it was welded on the car, only tacked to fit. Then tacken off and welded to make sure there were no chances of leaking.

Yeah I Figured It Was Pricy But Iv Seen A Webpage That Sells For More. Also Iv Tried Having A Shop Do One But They Dont Have The Flange Readly Availible To Them. Also They Charege Around 200 Just To Do It. Anywho If I Wanted To Get A Shop To Do A 3inch How Would They Do That? 2 45 Degrees? Or To 90 Degrees? Cause I Would Think Doing A 3 Inch With 2 45degrees Would Be Way Too Thick To Fit In Between The Tranny And Tranny Tunnel. Ahhh Any Ideas? My Stock Pipe Sucks! Eh I Dont Think 150 Is Too Much To Pay. The 300 Is A Buy Now Option Anyway And I Havent Seen A Bid Yet So Maybe Ill Finally Get Lucky And No One Bids But Me! Hehe Kidding

Ok, someone tell me what magical place they are having $300 custom fabricated, mandrel bent 3-in. exhausts made? I can tell you that after visiting 5 reputable shops in Orange County, CA, the CHEAPEST I could find was Vildini Motorsports at $400. Their price did NOT include the muffler. Every other place wanted anywhere from $500 to $700 without the muffler.

They are not $20 in materials. Read carefully. That is 3" STAINLESS made with mandrel bent pieces. It isn't mild steel with crush bent piping. Go to burnsstainless.com and buy the 304 S.S. pieces and tack it together yourself and any fab shop can seam weld it for you. Alternatively, take the mandrels to an exhaust shop and it'll be much cheaper that way. The bends alone are a good half of the cost, though.

Right without the muffler ofcourse...but 500+ i think would be for a stainless steel exhaust. im pretty sure you can get a 3in Aluminum alloy(not sure of the compound) exhaust made for around 300-400.

It's called aluminized steel; a.k.a. 'we tried a little to stop it from rusting'. Do yourself a favor and get 304 stainless.

ok who cares if its stainless steel! thats really just to look pretty and its way to low down in there to see. yeah it has a better resistance to heat but seriously im about perfromance. aluminized steel will last a very long time against rust and corrosion. not only that, but with a l28et in a 240z it does not have much clearence so i would definitly heat wrap it. so no point in having show quality thats going to be covered. besides im not going to stick my head in the engine bay to see how pretty it looks while im racing down the road. ALL PERFORMANCE

Aluminized Steel vs. 409 Stainless Steel

Both aluminized steel and 409 stainless steel are excellent products for automotive exhaust applications. Both offer excellent heat and corrosion resistance and both can be easily welded.

Aluminized steel is steel that has been hot-dip coated with an aluminum-silicon alloy containing between 5 and 11% silicon to promote better adherence. It offers more corrosion resistance than galvanized steel and is 20 times more heat resistant than cold-rolled steel and 5 times more heat resistant than galvanized steel.

Used widely in original equipment and aftermarket exhaust systems, aluminized steel is used by most muffler shops. It is a very long-life product and will generally outlast mufflers by years. It is very workable and accepts bends without stressing. The principal advantage of aluminized steel is its lower cost.

409 is a titanium stabilized ferritic stainless steel which means that it is a steel alloy containing chromium. It contains less nickel and more carbon than 304 stainless steel. Ferritics are best suited for high temperature applications that require corrosion resistance and high strength. The principal use of 409 stainless steel is automotive exhaust systems and most catalytic converter shells are made of 409.

More workable and stable than 304, 409 will accept bending and heat cycling better than 304. It resists both atmospheric and exhaust gas corrosion. It is magnetic due to its higher carbon content. Through chemical reaction, it oxidizes to a slight brownish hue which aids in corrosion resistance. While it does not polish well, it offers the advantages of higher strength, lower cost and longer life due to its heat handling qualities.

Ok, someone tell me what magical place they are having $300 custom fabricated, mandrel bent 3-in. exhausts made? I can tell you that after visiting 5 reputable shops in Orange County, CA, the CHEAPEST I could find was Vildini Motorsports at $400. Their price did NOT include the muffler. Every other place wanted anywhere from $500 to $700 without the muffler.

-Bo

I agree KTM i had to argue with 3 different muffler shops to even do 3 inch piping not even a down pipe. they just wouldent do it cause they said it would not clear under the Z. finally found someone 3 shops later and they charged me 200 +. but like i stated muffler shops dont just carry thes turbo flanges and they will charge an arm and a leg for the labor of taking off the old downpipe then doing all the measuring and fabricating.

so from what im getting is this downpipe worth it? i used to know a guy who owned Bell Turbo in Stockton, California... he did mostly big riggs but man this old man knew his suff. talking bout atomspheric pressure to sea level determins what type of turbo you would need. but the main thing he states is the exauste flow needs to have the least resistance. he also stated 3 inches is overkill as he laugh at our mini turbo compared to the tire size turbos he worked with saying there was no point to that. so i figuered why 3 inches? 2.5 45degree mandrel is better than 2.25 90degree crush or two 3inch 90degree bends. think about it its not just about the volume at what its flows but the current in which i needs to flow effortlessly! is that even a word? hehe

dont buy stainless exhaust from an exhaust shop unless you can verify that they in fact use stainless wire in there welders. I know of three local exhaust shops that "weld stainless" and in fact use regular steel wire. This cooks all the rust preventative alloys out and no longer makes sense having stainless exhaust. Be careful what you pay for and at the prices you guys are mentioning I would be extremely careful!!! peace.

dont buy stainless exhaust from an exhaust shop unless you can verify that they in fact use stainless wire in there welders. I know of three local exhaust shops that "weld stainless" and in fact use regular steel wire. This cooks all the rust preventative alloys out and no longer makes sense having stainless exhaust. Be careful what you pay for and at the prices you guys are mentioning I would be extremely careful!!! peace.

Yep, your welds will rust and nothing else.

On a side note, stainless insulates better for another benefit. Or so I have been told. Part of it is probably the standard thickness stainless exhausts get (being performance minded) versus 'exhaust shop' mild steel which is thin as they can get away with.

To each their own, I say.

Aluminized Steel vs. 409 Stainless Steel

Both aluminized steel and 409 stainless steel are excellent products for automotive exhaust applications. Both offer excellent heat and corrosion resistance and both can be easily welded.

Aluminized steel is steel that has been hot-dip coated with an aluminum-silicon alloy containing between 5 and 11% silicon to promote better adherence. It offers more corrosion resistance than galvanized steel and is 20 times more heat resistant than cold-rolled steel and 5 times more heat resistant than galvanized steel.

Used widely in original equipment and aftermarket exhaust systems, aluminized steel is used by most muffler shops. It is a very long-life product and will generally outlast mufflers by years. It is very workable and accepts bends without stressing. The principal advantage of aluminized steel is its lower cost.

409 is a titanium stabilized ferritic stainless steel which means that it is a steel alloy containing chromium. It contains less nickel and more carbon than 304 stainless steel. Ferritics are best suited for high temperature applications that require corrosion resistance and high strength. The principal use of 409 stainless steel is automotive exhaust systems and most catalytic converter shells are made of 409.

More workable and stable than 304, 409 will accept bending and heat cycling better than 304. It resists both atmospheric and exhaust gas corrosion. It is magnetic due to its higher carbon content. Through chemical reaction, it oxidizes to a slight brownish hue which aids in corrosion resistance. While it does not polish well, it offers the advantages of higher strength, lower cost and longer life due to its heat handling qualities.

Facts mixed with opinions. 409 is little better than aluminized. Aluminized starts rusting pretty good within a year. I only use 304 on turbo cars and sometimes aluminized on N/A. YMMV; especially you lucky punks in the dry temperate areas. :ass::mrgreen: Try driving a car is zero degrees with 6" snow and then run it up to feasibly 1000 degrees or more and see how well the mild steel likes turbo life. Heh. :)

I had a full 2.5" exhaust, flange, downpipe, O2 bung, EGR bung, flange at the bottom of the downpipe, mandrel bent, welded and installed for $300 in Aluminized Steel. I supplied the $100 stainless Magnaflow for the end of it and they welded it on and made al the brackets and hangers. This was bout four years ago at "Gallon Measure" custom exhaust shop here in NY. There is NO rust on it yet. (garaged and rarely sees rain). $300 for a simple downpipe is silly...if it was inconel...it would still be silly.