HybridZ

GT3 & Me

Phantom

I was on my way to work this morning and pulled up at a stoplight that had two left turn lanes. I pulled into the right one because the left one was occupied by a new Porsche GT3. When the light changed he took off hard and made a quick, hard left onto the highway and went for it. Caught me a bit off-guard so I only used first to start the turn and then was in second by the time I was onto the highway - and about 3-4 car lengths behind. Surprisingly I was able to out-pull him in second, third and fourth so I was only a car length behind when I backed off. We were approaching a bridge that is known for having a speed trap on the other side and we were well into triple digits at this time. It's always a good start on the day when I can run with a car that cost over $100k. I don't think the other driver was too happy though.:D

They aren't that quick at all (380-425HP, depending on the year), and the ability to upgrade them with more power isn't much of an option... Jim MacNemar spent a ton of cash and got something like 6WHP... Which is why Jim was kind enough to tip his had to me and advise me to get the Twin Turbo instead! :2thumbs:

Mike

The GT2 is known to be one of the most difficult cars to drive well...

The GT3 really does shine on a road course and certainly isn't made for "drag racing"... Just keep that perspective when running one on the interstate or around town. The're truly a road racecar on the street!

Mike

The GT2 is known to be one of the most difficult cars to drive well...

The GT3 really does shine on a road course and certainly isn't made for "drag racing"... Just keep that perspective when running one on the interstate or around town. The're truly a road racecar on the street!

Mike

That's it in a nutshell. It's a purpose built road race car for the street.

Any LSx powered Z car is going to put up some impressive acceleration numbers to be sure. On par with some very modern/exotic machinery even. It's part of the attraction some of us have to these old cars. However, while you may beat the GT3 in a 1/4mi. drag race, keeping up with it for hours at a time on a track would be a whole different story.

That said, I doubt you would have as easy a time keeping up with a 996 GT2 (as Mr. Mikelly drives), nor the new 997 GT2 which has proven to even out accelerate its sibling, the Carrera GT.

Well said Mike. My buddy had a GT2 (oddly Porsche America bought it back after over $30K in warranty work on the brakes) and he is the best driver I know. He made it look easy while I could tell it was a handful to drive. Whether it be the GT2 or GT3 they are amazing and have earned my praise and respect.

Yeah, the GT3 is a VERY nice car. I'd certainly swap with him if he offered.:mrgreen: I guess what I was trying to say was that the guy thought he could just blow me off and proceeded to try in the one area where the old Z wasn't a push over. His mistake. If we'd been on the track it would have been a different story with his handling and braking but he still would have had to work for it.

Here's my dream...

My Zcar Fixed and sorted, My Porsche TT (soon to be making over 550WHP :-) ) and Jim Mcnemar with his modded GT3 and his 73 240Z/V8 track car, at the track, for a day rental somewhere reasonably close by...

I want to time them with the same driver in all four cars... That'll be the wet dream of all wetdreams! :2thumbs:

I'm still convinved my Zcar will beat all three of the others, if I ever get it track-able... :2thumbs:

Mike

Here's my dream...

My Zcar Fixed and sorted, My Porsche TT (soon to be making over 550WHP :-) ) and Jim Mcnemar with his modded GT3 and his 73 240Z/V8 track car, at the track, for a day rental somewhere reasonably close by...

I want to time them with the same driver in all four cars... That'll be the wet dream of all wetdreams! :2thumbs:

I'm still convinved my Zcar will beat all three of the others, if I ever get it track-able... :2thumbs:

Mike

I will step up and volunteer to do your test..... At VIR of course.

Alan

If the Zcar wouldn't be the ticket, I'd go with the TT... It is heavier than the GT3, but I'm also putting down a LOT more power (Over 200BHP more) and the suspensions are setup similar... Jim's brakes are much better than mine though, as he's using the 6 piston/floating Cup car rotor setup. He's also running external reservoir Motons, where I'm running the PSS9 bilsteins, and he runs on true racing slicks, where I'm using dots...

Jim's also become one hell of a shoe!

Mike