HybridZ

Any ideas for LS1/T56 out-of-car cradle?

Like a running test fixture??? Donor car + torch/plasma cutter = a out-of-car frame stand.

Good thought but I might pass on that one! Here is something I spotted from England. It would have to be beefed up a bit for an LS1 and a similar leg made for the transmission, but the basic concept looks highly practical.

Engine ground stands_thumb.jpg

I am still using the wooden crate my motor came in. I mounted it on a funiture dolly ($15 at harbor freight). It wheels around easily. I added a few wooden spacers so the feet of the engine lift fit under the crate.

I modified the crate slightly so it holds the motor with the transmission installed. I do have to pull the starter.

I can take more detailed pictures tonight if you want.

Open_crate_motor.jpg

Holy crap, Pop! That motor looks huge! Is it a deceptive camera perspective or is it really so big?

By the way, because the idea just came to me, I thought I'd mention I plan on using two scissor jacks to support my engine when I put it in the engine bay to correctly place the motor for welding up a cradle. Might use it outside of the car, as well if I want it low on the ground without setting on the ground. <--- no fancy solution to any real problem, I know.

I used a couple of moving dollies I picked up at Harbor Freight for $20 each, 1 under the engine and 1 under the tranny. I used some 4x4s to make the engine/transmission sit level and steady while I was getting the car ready for transplant.

93888.gif

I used a couple of moving dollies I picked up at Harbor Freight for $20 each, 1 under the engine and 1 under the tranny. I used some 4x4s to make the engine/transmission sit level and steady while I was getting the car ready for transplant.

93888.gif

I did the same thing.. ratcheting tie-down straps and a block of wood, and it works well....

• 7 months later...

There was the usual bit of trial and error but in the finish I got there. This setup allow removal of the sump (oil pan) whilst on the stand - I have a Corvette one to fit.

A trolley jack can slip underneath to lift the engine/gearbox plus trolley or with a block of wood under the sump just the engine can be raised.

I haven't parted the items as yet but I don't see any reason why the gearbox cannot be removed and the trolley support just the engine.

Just as a matter of interest, I estimate that the centre of mass is around the flywheel area as the the whole assembly requires the gearbox support.

LS1 cradle 1_thumb.jpg

LS1 cradle 2_thumb.jpg