HybridZ

Z's acting up

my 72 z was running fine after i cleaned out fuel lines and changed fuel pump. Ran great till a week ago when i was driving close to empty when the car started sputtering and didnt want to accelerate anymore. I noticed my fuel filter is again filled with little rust debris. Maybe theres chunks of rust in the tank ? I'll clear out the lines this weekend to see if it works normal again but as for now im open for suggestions....... what do you think?:-|

make sure the lines are clear. If the vehicle has sat for quite some time perhaps the new fuel is cleaning/ajaring a bunch of junk from the tank and clogging the lines. Make sure the tank is dry (no water), and if need be add tolulene to it to get additional cleaning of the system. You can use some type of alcohol to assist in water emulisification thus getting it out of the system.

• 2 weeks later...

here's what i did:

1. dropped the tank (drained it first, of course)

2. poured in a decent amount of acetone (some other solvent will probably work better, but this is all i had on hand)

3. took a chain and swizzled the bottom of the tank (use one that's made of a metal that is not prone to sparks)

4. drained the tank through the filler neck port.

you would not believe the crud that came out of there. anyway, flushing it with water may help as well, but you'll want to make sure it gets dry; and use some of that stuff designed to get water out of your fuel when you fill up.

If it is anything like the tank that was in my 73 when I got it, you will have to have it boiled, acid dipped or whatever caustic thing they do to make it like new. I wouldn't waste your time with the pour in treatments if it is bad. It doesn't take much to plug up a filter and you don't want it coming back on a trip. I was quoted around $75 for an acid dip. Get it out, remove the fuel sender and shine a light in there.

I did the same with a bunch of big deck bolts I had laying around. Removed the cone filter from the inlet side of the fuel punp. Put a fram G3 gas filter infront of the fuel pump and changed it when it got dirty looking. Problem solved.

here's what i did:

1. dropped the tank (drained it first, of course)

2. poured in a decent amount of acetone (some other solvent will probably work better, but this is all i had on hand)

3. took a chain and swizzled the bottom of the tank (use one that's made of a metal that is not prone to sparks)

4. drained the tank through the filler neck port.

you would not believe the crud that came out of there. anyway, flushing it with water may help as well, but you'll want to make sure it gets dry; and use some of that stuff designed to get water out of your fuel when you fill up.

I have always used gravel in gas tanks getting it out though takes a while. Gravel in a soupy mix of water and various cleaners seems to do the trick very well. The other thing that I have done in the past is to take the tank to a carwash and pressure wash it with the high pressure detergent wash. Good luck.

Ohh and by the way if there is no serious rust and scale and it's just rotten gasoline then running clean gas and tolulene and Xylene through it will really break down the crud.

Alcohol also binds with the water so it does not pool in the bottom of the tank. then you simply run a few tanks of gas through it, and the moisture is gone. Don't leave it in long as Alcohol eats up the fuel system rubber.

• 3 weeks later...