HybridZ

L28ET ECU options

biohazard53188

Hi,

So I just bought a turbo parts 280zx for my 260z parts swap (best 350 bucks ever). Anyway the 280zx is an automatic :( I would like to bolt up the 260s 4 speed which from what Ive read on the forums is possible without my mods. Now Ive searched but I cannot figure out what ECU's will work with this engine. Theres an automatic ECU in there right now, would a standard 280zx N/A ecu work or is it crucial to have the turbo ECU. Im guessing this the second choice. Also will I need a different wiring harness seeing as my turbo is auto and Im switching to manual.

Thanks a bunch guys, you have always been so helpful!:eek:

I take it you are installing the zxt motor in the 260? If so, your 4-sp should bolt right up if you really want to keep it. You will need the wiring harness and ecu from the zxt.

Also, you will need the high pressure fuel pump from the zxt and I believe the 260 fuel tank will need some modification to keep up with the new fuel pump.

I ran an turbo auto ECU for several months after my conversion from an auto to 5-speed without any issues. When I did finally install a 5-speed turbo ECU, I noticed that the RPM's dropped off slower with the manual ECU then with the auto ECU. I had found that I needn't to "blimp" the throttle during slow shifting to keep the revs up. No need to do that after the manual ECU install. I also heard that the auto ECU has no rev limiter.

And for the record, I did permanently connect the neutral/park switch wiring. Not sure if I had to, but I remember the Z not starting if the gear selector was not in neutral or park prior to the swap.