HybridZ

Is it possible for a cv joint to slip?

HICKL

I have looked at mine some more and it appears that it defineatly slipped. The boot was for sure twisted but all seems to be in working order. looked under the boot and although I don't really know what I am looking at, all looks to be good. I remember seing the boot twisted under the car so it has been like that for a little while. Is this possible? Is the cv any good? Still seems to function properly. I pulled and pushed on it to see if it could have happened during assembly. I can't get it to move or do anything funny.

Can I take it apart for further inspection? If so, how do they come apart?

Thanks

Jeff

280ZX CVs are different and harder to disassemble and reassemble. Search, I know blueovalz has posted a write up on it before. I too don't think they could possibly slip. The only one that I could see slipping is the R230 setup that people have developed. As far as I know there is no way for the tripod bearings to slide out past their races which would HAVE to happen for it to slip. Otherwise it would break, but not slip.

I tried to rotate the boot as I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't get it to move nor where there any marks on it. I remember a few weeks after I put the cv's in, the car developed a weird sound/feel under load in first and second gear. I couldn't figure it out, so I finally just hammered on it a few times figuring I'd break whatever was bad and then fix it. Well, after two hard launches, the noise went away. Who knows...

I tried to rotate the boot as I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't get it to move nor where there any marks on it. I remember a few weeks after I put the cv's in, the car developed a weird sound/feel under load in first and second gear. I couldn't figure it out, so I finally just hammered on it a few times figuring I'd break whatever was bad and then fix it. Well, after two hard launches, the noise went away. Who knows...

LOL that is the most satisfying way to "diagnose" a problem sometimes...