HybridZ

Turbo Harley?

bschiltz

Does anyone know of one? I know there's a turbo kit for the V-rods now, but I have an obsession with turboing a 1200 Sportster. Anyone know what would be involved in doing so? The very basic list of things I can think of that would be involved is:

-Fab-

Pipes to and from turbo/ turbo support

Custom airbox

-Engine_

Lowering compression, I think stock is pretty high (11-12:1)

Forged pistons, rods, crank (I don't know how tough the stock parts are, anyone?)

Tuneing the carb for boost

Oiling system upgrade?

Anyone think of anything else? Am I just talking out of my ass? (very likely)

Lots of Turbo Sportsters out there. Seach the internet and you will see them. I have not ridden a turbo Sporty, but I have ridden a turbo FXR. It was an old blow-thru design done 10 years ago. It was fast, but scary to ride...kind of like my old 125 Elsinore, the throttle was an on/off switch. Here is one place I have seen...http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/harleyturbos.htm

The ultimate turbo Harley

http://www.danddexhaust.com/boarzilla.htm

I think they're making around 325 hp. On Methanol. Supposedly they have to tie it tight onto the dyno with the rear tire flat, and the rim touching the roller, then air up the tire. Otherwise it just spins. We help them with fuel tuning, and they help us with mufflers and exhaust parts.

I never really understood a Harley. I mean why would you want to spend a truck load of money to build something that will not touch a factory Jap bike?

I have a TL1000R so I understand wanting a V twin that is fast. But I also want a bike that handles and stops too. Harleys are none of those.

I admit. Harley's are pretty. But I like to ride too. not just look at it.

not trying to step on toes. just my .02$

I never really understood a Harley. I mean why would you want to spend a truck load of money to build something that will not touch a factory Jap bike?

I have a TL1000R so I understand wanting a V twin that is fast. But I also want a bike that handles and stops too. Harleys are none of those.

That's kinda why I was thinking turbo. Harley is supposed to be the all American muscle powerplant kinda thing, so what's the opposite of that? High revving turbo'd Jap bikes. The 1200 evo is high-ish revving (for a harley) and the sportster platform is pretty capable with curves being small and light weight. Obviously it'll probably not beat a busa or gixxer on a road course, but it would be much better than any of the cruiser bikes.

Thanks for all the links, guys. Looks like I've got some reading to do:icon45:

SOUL?

if I want soul, I know a great BBQ smoker with a produce stand that has the coldest watermellon ever.

Now that is SOUL.

course, every Harley I have ever ridden rides like a BBQ rib, with sauce all over it, so I can see where you are coming from.

now I'm hungry. I guess I'll get my non soulfull TL out and go down to Henry's for lunch.

Just ribbing you. HaHa

It's called soul

I have never understood why anyone would want anything but a Harley.

Just my 1 cent

It's your personal preference. I like all motorcycles. It's not what you ride it's that you ride.

Here is a shot of my baby. She is for sale as my back is roached.

18017360915.jpg

You may be right, but as an old club brother once said, " A Harley can turn a woman into a slut in less than two city blocks." :)

But I am kind of prejudiced, I've owned Harleys for almost 45 years.

You may be right, but as an old club brother once said, " A Harley can turn a woman into a slut in less than two city blocks." :)

But I am kind of prejudiced, I've owned Harleys for almost 45 years.

Hahaha!

I was thinking today (in the middle of class) about the belt drive. Anyone know what kind of torque those can handle?

I don't know much about newer sporties, but I can tell you that a belt drive will handle a lot. I have a friend with a 108" shovelhead that runs a belt and He hasn't ever had one break.

I thought about a turbo a while back and I think Honda built a 500 that had a turbo. I thought it would be cool to get two of them and have a twin turbo Harley. ( My iron head XLH is only a 1000cc, I don't know if that would work on a 1200 or not)

Joe