HybridZ

RB30 stuff: Aussies please read.

Careless

Ok, this is making me get pretty fed up.

I see this happen all the time. I find that a lot of the over-seas RB30 builders are not being treated fairly by the AUS. I've countlessly witnessed a number of threads that were instantly tended to and taken care of in regards to what was asked for, and I fail to find any difference in the method I take to acquire any info, other than the fact that I do it from the other side of the planet. This has been going on in two AUS RB builder's boards, and I'm going to ask a couple of questions.

1) Is there a problem that AUS folk have with RB buildin' folk in Canada or US?

2) All I need is a either a part number for various things, or an indication of what I can use from JAP RB motors that I can order. And from there I can get a parts number with the model/engine designation. Is this too much to ask?

After mentioning how "pathetic" (Yeah, i called it pathetic, so what! IT IS!) I found the above scenario on another board, I was immediately called stupid/mean because "hey, if i took apart the engine, it'd be bloody obvious what needs replacing", and because I was trying to leech information from "hard-learned" individuals who have been doing this stuff for years.

HINT: I know what needs replacing. I NEED THE PART NUMBERS for those "bloody obvious" parts. And what have they been doing for years? Ordering and jotting down part numbers? for f**k sakes. I'm not retarded.

I'm not commanding respect. I'm not using my recent belt thread as a bargaining chip, because it's been posted in numerous places. I just figure that if I got the time to call a bunch of companies and find out belt sizes and such for a motor that never was really production based, then why is it that a couple of down-under folk can't lend a 4 minute call to nissan for me or something? I even tried calling an AUS dealership, and was put on hold for exactly 13 minutes, with the call-center constantly saying "who are you holding for" again and again. That's long distance money that I got absolutely nothing out of.

So what I'm asking from any AUS members here, anyone that has access to an RB30 parts list, or a Nissan FAST CD for rb30's. or anyone that has a nissan dealership that is local that they could get some parts numbers for me, as all I have are the Jap parts numbers for rb20,25,26 models, and not RB30.

Reason I ask is because of parts like the crank sprocket. Would you believe that most people use RIPS NZ method of breaking it off, yet no one would provide me with a number for it? What did they do when rebuilding the engine? Weld it back together? I think not. I ended up ordering the RB25 crank sprocket which might not even work. Why? Because I had no choice when ordering my goodies (wanted to do it in one shot), and the RB26 crank sprocket costs 88 dollars, whereas the one I ordered is 22. What's the difference? I don't know, but I guess I'll find out the hard way.

so can anyone help?

Ideally I was hoping to build a PDF of everything I bought, with everything I encountered along the way, a well as RB26 stuff for my head, but I'm not sure I want to take the time. and If i do, it won't be freely distributed, thats for sure. Heck, I'm going to serialize them so I know who's been distributing my "hard-learned" information.

PM me if you can assist me, thanks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy we now have here on HybridZ, Rob aka RIPS won't help you out? Seems like he would know that stuff like the back of his own hand...:hs:

Rob knows his RB30 stuff.

Rob has really good product from what I've read.

But as you can see by his build thread, Rob has a lot to keep him busy.

So I'd rather not bother Rob, he's got a 260 to build that we want to see done.

Rob has enough RB30's and probably enough stock in the place that if he actually needed a bunch of bolts or dowels or whatever it is I am looking for, he'd just pry it off something else that had a good condition one.

My whole point with posting in the other forums I did was due to the fact that I saw other people posting in there for similar requests, and they were getting the help they needed. So I figured I would give it a shot. After posting the same request in 3 different wordings, in multiple forums and waiting an extensive amount of time in comparison to the others, I decided to comment on how "pathetic" the lack of reply was. I did never call any one person on the forum pathetic, which is what I think they thought actually did.

I don't think I've ever called anyone stupid on a forum I hold in high technical regard. Why would I post there if I thought there were stupid people? so stupid people could give me part-numbers? lol.

I sure as hell got some stupid replies to my post where I showed my displeasure, though.

Mate,

I got these numbers from Springwood (Qld) Nissan Spare Parts. +61 7 3290 7890.

These guys are always willing to help, won't put you on hold, and it took less than a minute, so phone call costs wont be too high.

Long Bolts (3) - 1229342L01

Short Bolts (11) - 12293V7200

I have had gregory's and hanes manuals (for different cars) and I much preferred the gregories. But it may have been due to the car.

They are pretty much the same sort of book, complete strip down repair.

You are getting royally hosed on the price though.

I can check on price, but the last Hanes manual I bought was about $50 Au.

not sure if they will ship overseas but the big chains here which will sell them are

www.repco.com.au

www.supercheapauto.com

www.autobarn.com.au

Thank you, Garvice.

Sorry to anyone who saw my post and thought I was a whiner. I just don't understand what the point of a forum is if you're not going to help people out who have exhausted their resources. To me it seems like a boisterous act, or a gloat-fest if anything.

LOOK AT MY RB! ITS FAST, BUT I WON'T HELP YOU.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll be putting some part number lists together for whatever I've bought that ends up working.

Would you believe an altima rear main seal housing fits an RB engine :-)

In fact, Nissan's used the same rear mains on many 6's.

All the details to come :-)

Bummer.

Those part numbers didn't cross with anything in the Japanese or American FAST system.

Must be an AUS only part. Since the R31 from Japan didn't have an RB30 either (or atleast it doesnt come up in the Jap FAST system I have)

However, there is an RB28...:hs:

Hey garvice, you got a price, Mate? :)

You sure that is not a miss print and should be RD28 ie the Diesel version of the RB much like the L28 and LD28. The RD28 were in many of the JDM cars based on the same floor pans as the R31, R32, R33 skylines - ie Laurel are most common RD28 finds here in NZ.

The RB30 were found here in NZ and OZ in the Holden Commodore range, Nissan Skyline R31 and the Nissan Patrol. There were a few RB30 engine that did stay in Japan and made into the Tommy Kaira Special M30 based on the R31 Skyline GTS-R. It delivered 177 kW (240 PS) @ 7000 rpm and 294 N·m (30.0 kgf·m) @ 4800 rpm. These were a RB30DE made up of the RB30 bottom end and custom modified RB20 head.

Sorry I can't help with the part numbers as I don't have a parts number/catalog/fast CD etc I would help if I could.

ahh yes, you're right, I knew about the RD28, but I couldn't remember if it was the one in that list. I made that post at work without the program to reference too.

The TommyKaira edition was apparently made by R31House.

I don't think it made 240ps, or perhaps R31 House fiddled with a good thing and screwed it up.

Or maybe altitude had something to do with it. Here's what I mean:

Sounds Like a bad mutha, though.

Can't wait to hear ITB on 26 head :D

Not sure why they used the RB20 head, as it's made for a smaller displacement engine, so they'd have to do mad port work.

Although I have seen the site where they did the work, and it looks like they spent quite some time on it. But as you can see, the car doesnt perform as it should. Perhaps the carbs were just tuned for a higher altitude or colder weather. perhaps their shop is operated out of the mountain tops, and not the low-level cities near the track? I unno :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Careless, RB20,25,26 and 30 lower cam belt gears are all the same so you've done well at $22 for the one you have on the way, thats much less than I pay for them,

Seeing as you have very specificly asked for help from AUS RB30 builders I can't help you with anything else sorry:tongue:

Rob

Careless, RB20,25,26 and 30 lower cam belt gears are all the same so you've done well at $22 for the one you have on the way, thats much less than I pay for them,

Seeing as you have very specificly asked for help from AUS RB30 builders I can't help you with anything else sorry:tongue:

Rob

hehe, you NZ builder, you! Thanks for the heads up. I checked it yesterday, and it is indeed the exact same piece. 88 bucks for the GTR one had me wondering. I'll be cataloging the rest of the parts as well, and I will be soon in the market for a flywheel, if I cannot find the Cusco one at a reasonable price. I bought three cam seals, as I remember you mentioning the oil pump seal is the same. However, the VRS Gasket kit comes with cam seals, and not sure if it comes with the front oil seal, so i'll check it out when I get it. This block is getting an entire rebuild, down to every bolt, dowel, and pin. Thanks for the reply. Raff

The TommyKaira edition was apparently made by R31House.
I did not know that R31House made TommyKaira M30 engine.

I don't think it made 240ps, or perhaps R31 House fiddled with a good thing and screwed it up.

Or maybe altitude had something to do with it.

They must have as the M30 engine was EFI and the one in the youtube video was triple carbs.

See here for a pic of the original install TommyKaira engine aka M30 - along with a Autech RB26DE installed into a R31 and a R31 special with RB25DE with RB26 intake plenum.

R31 N/A Power