HybridZ

New Truck wanted:Toyota Diesel - Other options?

BillZ260

My DD 94 explorer is falling appart, literally. I've had this truck for almost 12 years now. The 141k Motor and trans are running good, but everything else is just plain wearing out. SO i'm starting to look into a good replacment that will last, perform similar tasks and get decent milage. (Somwhere above 25) I'd also like to be able to tow at least 2 tons which is right above my current limit, and I'm not really keen on the Hybrids for this type of vehicle.

In the past 8 months I've spent 6 in Dubai and 2 in Scottland, both have lots of Toyota diesels available. They are available in Trucks, SUV's and Cars. I know the actual diesel here in the US isn't the same they use (sulfer content?) but I really want a diesel truck and don't need a huge domestic.

Found this on Ebay: 3.2 L 4Cyl!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-1980-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-BJ40-DIESEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6443QQihZ020QQitemZ300151007846QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Anyone here imported a car from the middle east? They are Right Hand drive there which is nice and prices seem to be a bit better depending on make and model and I have a good friend that could help procure and ship on that end if I find one I like. Diesel Toyota Praddo or Hilux are probably my favorite choices in that market.

I'm thinking there HAS to be other options but I didn't run across any. What do you guy's think???

Oh, and I'm starting a new job soon so less travel more Z time and a bit more $$.

hehe, the Hilux is an icon of sorts. Anyone who watches Top Gear knows how indestructible those things are (why don't we try reviving YOU after being under water for what, 5 or 6 hours!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISM_e0Odb5A

That, too, is what I thought about when I first saw this thread title. The remainder of the episode is also on Youtube.

With the introduction of low sulfur diesel fuel in the US all kinds of cars will have optional diesel engines in the coming years. Aside from the Germans, Toyota and Nissan are going to be offering diesel power plants in many of their vehicles - so don't count out a diesel Hilux just yet!

I for one love my Tacoma. Mine doesn't have the gas mileage you're looking for - I only get about 20mpg with the v6 - but the 4cyl ones are pretty good on gas.

795464_R1_13_15A_028.sized.jpgDSCN0427.sized.jpg

With the introduction of low sulfur diesel fuel in the US all kinds of cars will have optional diesel engines in the coming years. Aside from the Germans, Toyota and Nissan are going to be offering diesel power plants in many of their vehicles - so don't count out a diesel Hilux just yet!

I for one love my Tacoma. Mine doesn't have the gas mileage you're looking for - I only get about 20mpg with the v6 - but the 4cyl ones are pretty good on gas.

795464_R1_13_15A_028.sized.jpgDSCN0427.sized.jpg

I can only get 22 on the best day in a 2004 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 2wd tacoma and it doesnt have enough power to pull a wet string out of a cats butt. Where as my 2002 ram 3500 cummins 6 speed is gettin 18-20 and can tow 9 tons.

I can only get 22 on the best day in a 2004 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 2wd tacoma and it doesnt have enough power to pull a wet string out of a cats butt. Where as my 2002 ram 3500 cummins 6 speed is gettin 18-20 and can tow 9 tons.

Wow man, do you drive that taco as if it was your turbo Z or what :hs:

I get 19-20mpg when I'm driving around town not doing anything stupid offroad (see pics) in my v6 automatic 4x4 with 33" tires :redface:

On the diesel note, Honda is going to be bringing one here as well.

I've talked with several guys who own / have owned the Cummins Dodges, and they get upwards of 20mpg on non-city driving. City, low teens, 12-15 ish.

For comparison, a 4.3L 1500 Silverado will get 20+ highway, not to much lower city. And they cost a whole lot less. Not sure how the S10 does, but comes with the same engine, and is smaller, so mileage would benefit.

Another vote for a Cummins Dodge. There not so big once u get driving one everyday. I drive a 3500 dually and I whip it around like a sports car somtimes, lol. I average 19mpg city with all my mods, and best was 21 before I started adding power (my chevy 350 got 12mpg empty, and had no power to tow). Haven't done highway since I do all my driving in or around the city. Power is amazing, and I have the smallest pumped 12v. I have the 160 pump so If we can talk you into a cummins get a 215 pump 12v (1996-1998 5spd) since they get alot more powerful with free mods. I figure i'm making 260hp and 660tq or so on free mods, and haven't even upgraded injectors, turbo or any major pump mods.

And plus with a rebuild rate of 500k miles, there built to last. And theres plenty out there with a million miles and going strong.

Or you could get a smaller truck or older vehicle and swap in a 4bt cummins, that would be cool.

Just got back from S America this month and England last year. Europe has a sweet version of the frontier pickup with a 2.5 turbo diesiel. S. America had all sorts of diesiel pickups all the way from crew cab 721 to current crew cab diesiel pickups. Wrote to Nissan customer service asking when we might be getting a Nissan diesiel.......you guessed it absolutely clueless. What is the matter with those idiots?

Also with the older dodge you can run it of french fry oil. All you need is to filter it an away you go.

Its not that simple. Are you talking biodiesel, SVO, WVO? And acutally any diesel engine can run off the above with the proper modifications.

Biodiesel can be run 100% in any diesel without problems but you will need to burn a tank or so then change your fuel filters. I am in the process of building a biodiesel processor and collecting WVO.

Waste vegetable oil can be ran straight but only after you start and warm the truck on normal diesel or biodiesel and then switch over to a second

tank and pump system.

Anyways as far as dodges go they are pretty simple.

I would buy above a 1994, as that is the beggining of the 2nd gen body styles.

1994-1998.5 is the 12 valve manual controlled fuel system, these motors are real tough and can last forever and get freat fuel mileage. You will need to replace the front timing cover as a dowel pin is faulty from the factory and have been known to fall out and ruin a motor.

1998.5-2002 is the 24 valve electronic controlled fuel system. The lift pumps on these trucks are bad to go and that causes the injector pump to fail. An injector pump is a $1500.00 repair. I put an aftermarkey lift pump on my truck and that takes care of that problem.

I dont know much of the new trucks.

Ideally a low milage, clean 12 valve with a 5 speed will be your best all around truck. But they are hard to find.