HybridZ

l28et flywheel questions

m1ghtymaxXx

I've got a 83 zx and a 83 zxt auto parts car. I plan to swap the turbo motor into my n/a.

Since the majority of l28et's came dragging an auto, what have you guys done for a flywheel? Is there a difference between turba and n/a flywheels?

I'm thinking i'll just reuse the n/a flywheel, meaning when i order my clutch, i would order one for the n/a application correct? On Ebay, most of the clutches are advertised to fit 300zx's as well. Are they actually the same?

Sorta related, any clutch recommendations? I've heard good things about ACT, so thats at the top of my list right now.

And sorta unrelated, will i run into any bugs using the auto ecu while stirring my own gears?

You can use the 225mm or the 240mm flywheel. The N/A comes with the smaller one(what you have). The clutches for 240mm fly are interchangeable with 300zx thats also correct and there is no problem with the auto ecu.

SEARCH ^^^ and you will find all the answers in this board.

-JT

The turbo flywheel uses a larger diameter clutch disk. The same flywheel can also be found on any 2+2zx (or a early Vg30 so I have heard)

I was running 9psi on a stock small diameter clutch, but when I got my ecu chipped I fried it like a greasy egg. The larger clutch is much, much better.

The turbo flywheel uses a larger diameter clutch disk. The same flywheel can also be found on any 2+2zx (or a early Vg30 so I have heard)

I was running 9psi on a stock small diameter clutch, but when I got my ecu chipped I fried it like a greasy egg. The larger clutch is much, much better.

oooh, well mine is a 2+2:razz:

BTW Graham, would you be interested in helping with the swap? I'd like to do it this winter, but need to find some garage space to borrow/rent for a few weeks. Happen to know where such a place would exist? lol.

Graham,

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me the other day about the ZX harness. I greatly appreciated you time.

Regards,

Jeff

hold up guys last time i did my research, it was the 2+2 that had the 240mm cause of the added weight of the car. and i had a 300zx flywheel before and from what i remember it had a different bolt pattern...

Well luckily my donor car is a 2+2, so i guess the flywheel is covered.

Today i was watching phil's clutch video, and it shows the guy installing it going at the flywheel with a cookie or something. Is this an acceptable way to resurface a flywheel?

Another question, what would be the disadvantages of using the stock pressure plate? I assume it would lower the amount of torque it hold vs the act one.

hold up guys last time i did my research, it was the 2+2 that had the 240mm cause of the added weight of the car. and i had a 300zx flywheel before and from what i remember it had a different bolt pattern...

i think they are referring to the clutch... i may have read it wrong, though

Well luckily my donor car is a 2+2, so i guess the flywheel is covered.

Today i was watching phil's clutch video, and it shows the guy installing it going at the flywheel with a cookie or something. Is this an acceptable way to resurface a flywheel?

Another question, what would be the disadvantages of using the stock pressure plate? I assume it would lower the amount of torque it hold vs the act one.

haha, a cookie??? and yes, the pressure plate makes up a LOT of the clamping force

if you are using new clutch kit get the flywheel machined-it not worth cutting corners when you have to take trans back out .if the flywheel suface isnt right you will get judder on take off.some of those 1 day clutch shops can get kits with new daiken parts-best cheap clutch-this was oem datsun stuff .i ran daiken 240mm set up for years on my turbo car with 12 psi.

i agree with randy cutting corners is going to cost you more in the long run. if you dont resurface the flywheel you wont break the clutch in properly. if you actually have the flywheel out sometimes you can see grooves from the old clutch and even hot spots. a local shop will do this for about 25 to 30 dollars depending on where you go. it just to make sure you get the proper break in and surface contact. and remember 500 miles of normal driving to break it in! that means reving to 6000 with your boost up to 15psi at every stop and dropping the clutch!!! joke joke dont do that! hehe