HybridZ

383TT Build *56k Warning*

I need a new motor, the L24 in my 240z met an unfortunate fate at the hands of my little brother. So I got to thinking what can I build for cheap that will make decent power and is easy to maintain? I settled on a small block and began planning out the extent to which I was going to hot rod it. After talking with my machinist (read: my Dad) we decided a 383 with a mild cam and good intake would be perfect for the old blue devil. Well at the same time I was planning on building another 383 for a Camaro but this one was intended as a full race setup. Well through an odd twist of fate I can't seem to find a Camaro to save my life but I happen to have a 240Z with no motor in it that I would really like to drive the next time I go home. So as things sit I plan to be putting my race motor into my Z unless I can find a Camaro in short order. So anyway here is the plan I bought an SSAutochrome kit a while back and I had the local turbo shop take a look at it and after they gave me the thumbs up it was destined for my project. To tell the truth I don't know why this kit caught a bad rep, at least my kit seems to be of very good quality and everyone that I have had look at it seems to agree. But that's besides the point. Heres whats going in the motor.

Holley 800 DP modified for blow-thru

Victor Jr. High Rise

MSD HEI Dist.

Dart Iron Eagles 72cc chamber 215cc runners 2.02/1.60 valves

Manley SS Valves

Comp Springs

Comp Roller Rockers

Comp Cams Turbo Grind .543/.563 255/265 duration @ .50

SRP -31cc Dish Pistons

Eagle H-Beam Rods

Eagle 4340 Crank

Four Bolt GM Block

And last but not least twin T3/T4s at 8lbs with a good size intercooler

I am hoping this will be good for about 600 at the flywheel. What do you think? If anyone has been over to thridgen.org recently I've got a thread over their as well but one guy really pissed me off calling me a detriment to the performance industry and what not which is one of the reasons I decided that this motor is going in the Z instead. Anyway here are some pics of the different parts and a few of the headers and turbos mocked up on a core motor with my Victor Jr. and a Predator on there for good measure.

Image151-1.jpg

Image154-1.jpg

Image155-1.jpg

Image156-1.jpg

Image159-1.jpg

Image172-1.jpg

Image173-1.jpg

Turbo1.gif

Turbo2.jpg

Turbo3.jpg

Turbo4.gif

So anyway here is the plan I bought an SSAutochrome kit a while back and I had the local turbo shop take a look at it and after they gave me the thumbs up it was destined for my project. To tell the truth I don't know why this kit caught a bad rep.

Its got a bad rep because it came from ssautochrome. You can find the reasons why this sellers parts are a waste of space are all over the internet, including this site. That being said, some people have "luck" with some of his parts.

I have been doing some measuring and it looks like it should fit but it's going to be very tight and the exhaust my need some modification in order to clear the strut towers, we'll see when I get my Dad to set it in the car. No the LS1 is a completely different motor and these wont bolt up. And finally, have any of these people actually been in possession of one of these kits or even actually seen one, or are they just going off of what someone else who may or may not have ever actually run one said? I trust my old mans judgment he says the headers are of superb quality and with some brackets they will hold up no problem, so I'm not worried about it. If it grenades it grenades but I honestly think it will work as intended.

It's always great to see another TTv8 engine in a Z.

With your current turbo header spacing you will probably have to cut into the fenderwells or run small diameter downpipes.

Also, the small T3 turbines will give you immediate boost with a 383 engine if they are .60 A/R or smaller. When I temporarily switched to that A/R with my Rajays I was making boost right off idle and 30 psi at 3000 rpm.:-D

Unfortunately it was too much torque and no gas mileage.:x

But......go for it. I don't want to discourage you.

I did some figuring and it looks like you guys were right the headers wont clear without some modification. But wheres the fun if you don't get to modify brand new parts? As far as downpipes I may just dump them right in front of the cross member instead of trying to route them back behind the front tire. I've also got a line on some Holset turbos from a 5.9 Cummins, would it be worth it to go to that turbo as opposed to the T3s I've got now? I believe the casting number is HX35 and I can get them pretty cheap.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but how well do you think those headers would work flipped around and working as just headers to an exhaust? I've got an LT-1 going into a 280zx, and we all know that there is a clearance prob with the driverside header. Just looking for something that might work. Thanks for your time.

I picked up the whole kit for $702 shipped to the shop, that includes the headers, turbos, intercooler, fuel pressure regulator, and all the lines for the turbos but it doesn't include the pipe kit for the intercooler. The problem I would see with flipping these headers backwards would be the firewall, the motor would have to be alot farther forward than what you might like in or to use them I'd bet with some cutting they would work though.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but how well do you think those headers would work flipped around and working as just headers to an exhaust? I've got an LT-1 going into a 280zx, and we all know that there is a clearance prob with the driverside header. Just looking for something that might work. Thanks for your time.

JTR's headers should fit an LT1. They even have ZX specific ones.

IMO I would get all aeromotive for the fuel system. You have some good parts (motor) you don't need destroyed by a cheap fpr. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheap stuff, but the fuel system is not something I want to malfunction. Besides you would never have to buy another one as long as your don't want to make over 1100 flywheel. I ran one of my hot side pipes under the crossmember. Just remember that the engine torques over so put a chain on it or leave room when going under. You should be able to make 600 easy on pump. The HX35 I would think to be too small, but I never looked at one of their compressor maps so someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

I am probabbly going to go Aeromotive, I can get everything I need for about 800 bucks so why not. I do have a question though, if I want the fuel pressure to increase as the boost comes up what exactly do I need? Will there regulator increase the fuel pressure by itself or do I need the fuel pump controller as well?