HybridZ

nothing I do makes my clutch work!!

I get no resistance from my clutch pedal. the rod from the pedal looks ok. there is fluid coming from the master cylinder and fluid at the slave cylinder. I thought It was a matter of bleeding so i did that and I have still no clutch resistance. Mind you this car hasn't seen the street since 1989 and I just bought it. Does it need a rebuild kit or a whole new master cylinder and where would I get those??

Does the slave move at all when the pedal is pushed? You might still have air in the lines, or a hole somewhere letting air in and fluid out.

If there was moisture in the brake fluid and it's been sitting that long, there's a good chance the cylinders are pitted, the fluid ruined, and the rubber slave hose rotted and expanding.

Mario

Funny story about slave cylinders. I noticed it was the only thing on the car that prevented mine from moving. The clutch pedal is loose, and only has spring resistance.

Upon tearing the car down, I found a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit made by Tokico for Nissan. It comes with a small bleed-valve cover, rubber, pin, and spring if i remember correctly.

If you'd like, I can get the part number off the box. it's sitting proudly on top of my car.

My car sat for 10 years, I had the same problem. The clutch master and the rubber hose were both responsible, but I replaced everything, the hose was cracked, so I swapped it out with a stainless steel line, new Master and new slave.

Expect to have to replace anything with rubber/fluid.

I had to replace my brake calipers, brake master cylinder, my wheel cylinders needed to be replaced as well. And my gas tank was a mess.

Good luck to you

I don't know if the slave or clutch fork moves at all but by the total lack of resistance I doubt it. All the fluid from sitting for 18 years was gone when I bought it, just a black residue was left in the reservoir I will check at first light to be sure about the slave.

hey, my car has that high performance black brake gel too! :-D

• 1 year later...
Any fluid leaking down the firewall on the inside of the car where the clutch rod attaches to the clutch pedal? You still haven't said if the clutch fork moves when depressing the clutch pedal. Joe

I have the problem of fluid leaking down the fire wall does this mean that the master clutch cylinder is indeed the culprit?