HybridZ

Cost Estimate - Don't share this with your wife

The “paint†and “interior†numbers are optimistic, but otherwise this reads like a reasonable cost estimate for a stock-ish swap, assuming that you already have a Z in decent condition, make no suspension mods and are content with a bolt-in “roll barâ€. Relaxing those assumptions and starting absolutely from scratch, the cost will conceivably double, or worse.

The result becomes a decent-looking, decent-handling 2900 lb (if based on a 280Z) 300 hp $12K-$15K sports car, which takes a patient and moderately skilled fellow about 2 years to build. Compared to a late 90’s Z28 Camaro, it will be 600 lbs lighter, probably better-handling but slightly less reliable and much less comfortable. Still, a favorable comparison - provided that you do all of the work yourself.

Farming out work to others, following dead-ends, suffering blown-up engines and other setbacks will however reverse the favorability of the comparison.

But really, how many people are trying to choose between a camaro of that vintage and a Z? If you're researching this swap you probably already have made your choice.

Also, Decent looking? I think the Z car is more than decent looking.

I agree numbers look fine but as said previously and it dosent matter weather its a car or house if your doing it yourself the small stuff adds up from my experience is that quote the big stuff and allow at least half to same amount again to cover all the small bits bolts rubbers bearings brake pads thinners sand paper all adds up fast just the other day spent $20 on bolts $100 on fuel and brake line fittings all adds up fast

mick

Steve, you're probably right on your numbers. I am converting from Scarab conversion to JTR to upgrade to T5 trans, and I think I have logged in about $3k so far. I still need to buy heater components, new air conditioning components, driveline, exhaust, and relays for the electric fan setup. That also includes some Endurashine products from Edelbrock like a new intake, H20 pump, and a lot of other things that could have been forgone, but I am going for a "hybrid/hybrid." (read: a show quality daily driver) I bought the entire car for $6300, with 43k original documented miles, 20k on motor, with some suspension mods. I've been driving it this way for 5 years pretty much trouble free. I think you'll find a lot of them out there. My California B.A.R. sticker is dated 1987, when you could convert with smog requirements of the power plant, not the car. I have a '65 327 chevy, so it has a charcoal canister and pcv valve. That's it. Obviously, doing a conversion from square one right now will require a lot of consideration and likely add some complexity and uncertainty when it comes time for the referee station. A car that is already built and legally on the road will surely save you thousands, and rest assured, you will probably find plenty to do with it to make it your own. Just a thought...

OOh, a second look at your numbers reveals that you are pretty shy on your paint and interior figures. Unless you are painting yourself, add a "0" to the $500. Are you replacing the cracked dash? Add $1200. Otherwise looks great! Don't forget that after all is said and done, most on this site will agree that it is worth seeing the sad faces on the Camaro & Mustang owners when you blow by them. Plus, you'll have a very cool and unique car.

• 5 weeks later...

Chiropractor,

I've been away from my home PC for a few weeks, so my reply is a bit late. You're absolutely right about paint being $5000, not 500, except that I should have told you more about myself. I shoot my own cars with PPG base coat/clear coat, airbrush work, and do my own pinstriping, so all I need is materials (about $500) and a booth to rent (which is getting much harder to find in Southern Calif. anymore - damned EPA rules) since I have my own equipment.

I actually ended up doing neither the carberated LM1 nor the LT1 since I found a '90 Trans Am 350 TPI and T5 last week and grabbed it for $2700. Now my son's '77 280Z has a V8 waiting to get cleaned up and go in, and I can cut my teeth on this project while I look for an LS1 + T56 to put in my '72 240Z as a second project. After blasting around last weekend in the Tran Am, I can't wait to put that engine in a car that is 700-800 lb. lighter and handles better.

Thanks for the post.

Steve (sstallings)

P.S. I'll be keeping records and taking pictures so I can post a realistic budget and parts list in a few months.