HybridZ

BMW V12 in a fiero??!!

Guest Merc

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was anyone here capable of putting a BMW V12 into a pontiac fiero(1984-1988) with a Audi 5000 auto tranny? I see there are alot of top notch techies and modders on the board and im looking for someone to do this for me. If anyone is capable(which im sure ALOT of you are) please post or pm me.

thanks,

merc

Why the audi tranny?

I can't think of any possible reason to bolt up a tranny made for 162 hp / 177 tq. car to a bmw v12 making 375hp / 400 tq.

You might want to at least complete the research end of this swap before looking for a mechanic.

Then again there might be a reason (i'm hoping) for using this tranny?

The 016 Audi transmission has proven pretty strong from what I remember in my audi modding days. However, I dont think there is room for a long V12, and O16 in a fiero.

Possible reason for the audi trans could also be the availability of adapter plates that mate many engines to it. I assume they use them for dune buggys and sand rails.

EDIT: I just read you wanted to use the auto. cancel all of what I just said, Except that is still more than likely wont fit

I don't know, even if that tranny is that strong, seems like overkill for a car that didn't make 200hp or torque even in turbo form.

That's like nissan using the titan tranny in a versa.

But once again, I have no experience with the tranny, just what my common sense is telling me.

Have you considered the weight of the v12 in the rear of the Fiero? I had an X1/9 years ago and even that was not so much fun in the rain. The front was so light it lifted and hydroplaned quite easily. I'm all for swaps, but you will lose the quickness and agility of such a light car in favor of what would be considered a cruising engine. Swaps within a mark or within an engine configuration are enough work and re-engineering, but give it a shot if that's your desire. It will cost you a fortune. I've spent nearly 3G putting an m42 BMW engine into my 76 2002 with all the new seals, gaskets, mounts I've made, the donor car, etc, and I do it all myself. I'm putting my 3.5 m30 L6 from my 85 635 into my '70 240Z, and it will no doubt run a bit more as it is more of a restoration at the same time. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you; just try to be realistic so you don't get into it and then feel trapped. I doubt you could get your money out of a half done project like that if you hit an unsurmountable obstacle, and the odds seem stacked. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hello all and thanks for the replys. Well alot of you mentioned alot of noteworthy things. Some of the reasons I want a Audi tranny which I think Kennysgreen280zt mentioned is because of the strength of the tranny, the availibilty of them, and their are readily availible adapter plates around for the Audi and BMW V12. The reason I want the BMW V12 is because I am putting a Lambo together and I need that exotic sound, plus they are not to expensive, and well is a V12. Here are some links to people that have put them in fiero custom tube chassis:

http://www.v12diablo.co.uk/engine5.htm

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Engine/BMW-V12/BMW.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGlq-hcO0o - actual video of engine runing

p.s. Lol....Mark 1 cubic yard huh? Ima have to use that. 8 months is a loooooong time though

i know this is not quite what you're looking for, but here's an idea.

if you want an exotic sounds, why not just use a VQ35de out of like a maxima and do a custom exhaust? has a FWD tranny that can easily be made to work for a RR car, quite a bit lighter than a V12, and still sounds nice and throaty (ie 350Z & g35). sure it's no V12, but i think it will be powerful enough to propel that there fiero, and it will be lighter for better balance.

p.s. Lol....Mark 1 cubic yard huh? Ima have to use that. 8 months is a loooooong time though

I would have to take time away from my other job as an exoctic dancer and the cubic yard of hundreds is to replace the tip money.:D:biggrin:

Staledale,

I have the stretched fiero. Is it something you might be able to tackle?

Mark,

Lol....exotic dancer? Tips? Were you that guy 6 pack of the "Flavor of love" show?

• 2 weeks later...

ive driven a fiero for 4 years and been working as a tech at a bmw delarship for about 4 years as well. and i say the two shouldent mix. if you want a fast fiero put a 3800 sc in it. if you want a relly expensive and relly rare fiero i say go for it. as for trannys porsch rear transaxle might be a choice. you would need to build a new bell housing? id rather put the effort towards my Z.

jon...