HybridZ

where to get performance pads for 79-84 toyota 4x4 pickup calipers

im having problems finding some decent pads for the 79-84 toyota 4x4 pickup 4 piston calipers

were do you guys get yours? i checked hawk and porterfield but couldnt find any - am i just not looking right or are there really no performance pads for these calipers

Aren't those the carbon pads that race only? I think they have to be warmed up first and thus would be not streetable for most apps.

No, they have 3 different compounds and are a carbon-kevlar composite that works very well and is very easy on rotors. Porterfield makes the R4S (street/autocross/track) pad, the R4 (race) pad and the R4E (endurance race) pad. I've used the R4S pads on all my cars for over 15 years and love them! http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

I am really impressed with the performance of the R4S in combination with the vented rotor upgrade. kjones is running that setup on his (very very fast) 280Z. We drove that car in run groups 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the PDX at the ZCCA convention. Of the 16 sessions it probably ran 12 of them and the brakes never faded.

I run R4S on The Blue Turd, as well as my Fairlady Z 2/2...GREAT pads when used with a GOOD fluid.

I brought four sets of R4 169 Shoes with me here to Amsterdam for Ad to put on his Shelby Mustang GT350´s in the Spa 6 Hour Endurance Race. They performed flawlessly...and others were eyeing the American with the `Southwest Airlines`totebag full of Shelby Shoes!!! LOL

I have nothing but good things to say about Porterfield, their counter service is WELL beyond stellar. We mis-ordered the shoes we needed, got 239´s instead of the 169´s. Bought them back in April before MSA. They sat in my storage container and I brought them back for exchange the day before I flew out...no invoice, just a phone call asking if I could... They are a great outfit! Brought in three boxes of 239 Shoes, and Swapped across for the 169´s... Wonderful not to deal with the hassles like most other places.

Some people may feel the R4S will ´squeal`during light braking on the street, but I live with it...or simply stab the brake harder to quiet them down.

How are the R4S pads on rotor life? There are plenty of pads around that work well, getting some that are kind to rotors as well is a challenge.

I found that the R4S pads are extremely rotor friendly. The carbon-kevlar composite is much better than a carbon-metallic (Performance Friction, etc) pad. I typically went through 2-3 sets of pads before I had to do anything to the pair of rotors, and I ran a ton o' track days, autocrosses, hillclimbs and street driving. They work awesome, even when cold and don't need heat to work like many other pads. It is the preferred pad for the 510 crowd for over a decade, whether equipped with stock brakes, 280ZX upgrade or bigger.