HybridZ

280zx test pipe...a few questions

Guest grayfox

Guest grayfox

Hey guys, got some questions. I did a few searches but didn't come up with much.

Does anyone manufacture test pipes for the 280zx? Got a link? I have a local guy that will make one for $50, does that sound reasonable? Also I got a new muffler put on, an older Monza muffler but it is very quiet. Damn close to stock. There seems to be a tone there but it's almost like it's being choked up and it just comes out as a cough, so I assume it's this 26 year old converter. Now I don't want anything obnoxous but I have heard that using a test pipe will make the car louder...I don't want to replace the muffler, it looks very nice and if I can get some more sound outta this then I will be happy. So is my thought process on the right track here?

I know all about the negatives, the car being stinkier and such but I will just have to see how that goes when it gets put on. Appreciate it!

Guest grayfox

:lmao: I know that man. I know it's also called a straight pipe, same difference.

What I'm asking is does anyone make them specifically for Z cars or do all you guys that own them fabricate them yourselves or have a shop do it. I also want to know what affect it's going to have on sound since this muffler I have that is supposed to sound like something...sounds like nothing.

Just my .02, but I think you might as well just do a downpipe with full exhaust if you're doing a straight test pipe. The turbo muffles the exhaust so, no, the sound won't really be too obnoxious. Just pick up some U-bends and straight piping and have a good shop weld up a full exhaust. I did this and I spent $60 on piping(2 - 3in. U-bends and ten feet of 3in. SS steel piping) and I paid a shop $75 to cut the u - bend for the downpipe and weld up a full exhaust...o yeah I have a muffler as well so I paid for that too...not a bad deal for a 3in downpipe and exhaust, and the gains aren't too bad either(turbos kick ass)

Guest grayfox

^ MSA does not sell test pipes, they don't even sell high flow cats. Thanks for the input man. I think I am just going to have my local guy fabricate a striaght pipe with flanges at either end so I can put a cat back in when needed. However, still would like some input from someone in regard to the effect on sound.

:lmao: I know that man. I know it's also called a straight pipe, same difference.

I was telling you that test pipes don't have mufflers b/c you were talking about the muffler you were going to use. If it has a muffler than it isn't straight/test pipes, its just an exhaust system.

^ When you removed your original cat and swapped in the pipe, how did it change the sound? What do you go back to the cat for?

It didn't make much of a difference on sound for me when I swapped it. You could hear the turbo spool a little easier, but it wasn't much louder inside. I went to a cat because the fumes during stop and go were killing me. I think at my hp levels that it's not robbing too much power anyway.

back a few years ago i had that monza system on my zx and i used the test pipe that came with it from the beginning. its a 2" system like stock, just mandrel bent with a freer flowing muffler. not loud at all but it sounded good if you didn't wanna be obnoxious. probably not much of a performance gain but it sounded and looked good. as far as a test pipe to just replace your cat you can buy two 2-bolt flanges and a stick of pipe from JC Whitney for about $15.