HybridZ

What are the common misnomers ppl use?

TheNeedForZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about when someone says that they received something "for free"? Free can be an adjective or an adverb. It's not a noun.

And no one gets anything "for free." Everything cost some one something.

"Buy one, get one free," Why not just say "half off"

I like deals but I hate it when people try to push stuff on you that you don't need, like they phrase above used on something like TVs. I don't need 2x 52" TVs, just give me half off.

Irregardless...

"Series 1" 240Z...

ECT...

Don't get me started!!!

Hmmmm, two of the three... O.K. But what about the "Series I" to describe the first 240Zs. You know the really light ones without vents in the pillars. It's redundant only if you think it is short hand for "240Z".

"Jumbo shrimp" or if you are of a certain political persuasion "military intelligence". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I can feel the heat already.

There is a name, a long one too, for descriptions such as above where the adjective negates the noun. Some people spend their lifetime looking for sentences that read, and make sense in both directions. The only one that comes to my mind now is "A TOYOTA" .

g

There is a name, a long one too, for descriptions such as above where the adjective negates the noun. Some people spend their lifetime looking for sentences that read, and make sense in both directions. The only one that comes to my mind now is "A TOYOTA" .

g

That changed my life.

Hmmmm, two of the three... O.K. But what about the "Series I" to describe the first 240Zs. You know the really light ones without vents in the pillars. It's redundant only if you think it is short hand for "240Z".

"Jumbo shrimp" or if you are of a certain political persuasion "military intelligence". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I can feel the heat already.

g

Palindromes are fun.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nej4xJe4Tdg

Regardless (not irregardless) of geographic origin it seems that way too many people use "fer" instead of "for". Generally it is short and unnoticeable. Some of my other favorites are "meeer" instead of mirror, "cran" instead of crayon, the old egg/aegg debate and I'll throw in February I guess.

I still find it funny when I see a speaker cabinet for sale and people advertise "LOUD"... as though the speakers make sound magically all by themselves.

Some of these have REALLY got me laughing guys.

Why do they call it 'taking a dump' shouldn't it be called 'leaving a dump'?

Here’s a new one I’ve seen quite a bit lately that is starting to eat at me.

Calling the Air Flow Meter, (AFM), of an L-jetronic EFI system a MAF!!! The AFM does not measure the MASS of the air and is a completely different animal electronically, physically and what it actually measures compared to a MAF! One measures air volume, the other measure air mass. Not interchangeable physically, NOR in terminology!

5 years ago, you rarely ever heard anyone mix those two up in discussions or in their advertisements. My guess is that the newbs are hearing EFI terms tossed around, to them seems willy nilly, and they just assume all air sensors are MAF’s!

Ok, I have to admit. I've known since I bought my first Z there was a difference, and it didn't take me long to learn the difference. But I have to admit in order or explain an AFM before I've compared it to a MAF. The way it measures is completely different, but they're both doing the same function for an ECU, telling the computer how much air is entering the engine. In the same respect they're also similar to a MAS. All three provide the same data, just vastly different calculations on the part of the ECU to make it meaningful data.

To legitimize my point a little further.

A motor can serve the same function as a engine. (MAP.MAS.MAF.AFM) (hopefully got that map in the right category based on argument) Guess it is really just a matter of time, experience and personally preference.

Ya know I might delete this tomorrow due to the fact I even have a hard time getting what I was getting at.

I still find it funny when I see a speaker cabinet for sale and people advertise "LOUD"... as though the speakers make sound magically all by themselves.

Some of these have REALLY got me laughing guys.

Ok, I have to admit. I've known since I bought my first Z there was a difference, and it didn't take me long to learn the difference. But I have to admit in order or explain an AFM before I've compared it to a MAF. The way it measures is completely different, but they're both doing the same function for an ECU, telling the computer how much air is entering the engine. In the same respect they're also similar to a MAS. All three provide the same data, just vastly different calculations on the part of the ECU to make it meaningful data.

map sensors work better.