HybridZ

Show us your fats!!!

260DET

Wheels and tyres, bigger the better. We see lots of questions and comment

about wide bodies and fender flares but where are the pics of standard cars with filled out wheel wells? I haven't seen any :(

For my project the guard lips have been rolled, have 9.5 rear and 8.5 front wheels in 17" for the race tyres which should fill it out. Not finished yet but I'm trying :)

My '78 280ZX. 5 stud Z31 hubs, R32 calipers, R31 struts up front no spacers, '83 rear end with 25mm spacers. Wheels are 8" front, 9" rear with 235/45/17s and 255/40/17s. Spacers aren't on in these pics.

Excellent pics, just shows how much space there is under the stock S130 to fit big wheels, looks good too. Like your mods as well, very sensible and not expensive. Mine is a bit over the top suspension wise but its being built as a retro look time attack car. Thats the excuse anyway :)

Street car. No flares. Lowered 1.75 inches. All wheels 17x7 x 4.5 backspace. No spacer bs. Tires 225/45z/r17. Coilovers. Hmmmm could maybe do 8's on the rear with a different offset. For me, I have found with sticky tires (non DOT) traction is not much of an issue. Breaking or twisting up something else is. Any wider to me appears to be difficult without fender lip rolling etc. Fine for a race car, kind of disgrace on a street car with quality bodywork. Maybe with enough testing, time and money anything is possible. I have yet to see anyone here on hybridz fully document that combination with an oem body. Less we give away our secrets, every ride and driver is different so maybe that is impossible to replicate.

Everyone talks about stuffing the biggest tire they can under the car, but what good is that if you compromise your suspension adjustments. Adjust the car to fit the tires? Having ideal suspension geometry and room to adjust it is more performance benifical. But hey big tires get all the pussy right? Or at least thats what we want to think... A smaller wheel combo is less unsprung weight too. Better mpg and ride quality. ( ok i wish i had huge tire and wheels, not showing pics cause my rims are aesthetically outdated lol!)

EDIT:! opps this the ZX forum. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.