HybridZ

z31 stuts under an 83 280ZX???

z or bust

I pulled a stub axle nut off my '80 2+2 parts car just using a breaker bar with the parking brake pulled real tight. A good impact gun might be easier though. Getting the nut loose was easy, getting the shaft to move to pull it out was another story. With the bearings being in place for 27+ years, it took a few good smacks with a 3 lb hammer to get the shaft to pop loose from the backside bearing (I left the nut on enough to protect the shaft).

The answer is yes, i posted an article about it in teh archives as i did it

it is a direct swap you need to run the z31 cv's though. Good part is that apart from the hubs being a direct swap, so are the bearings, brake disk ( 88 vented) and calipers!! Get this NO fabbing!!

Note that because the Z31 stub axle is tapered, use the Z31 distance piece (bearing spacer) as the Z31 “B” spacer is the same length (55.95mm) as the ZX “M” spacer. If your 280ZX rear lower control arm housing needs the “N” length spacer (55.85mm) use the corresponding Z31 “A” spacer and if you require the “P” length spacer (56.05mm) use the corresponding Z31 “C” spacer.

This opens up a lot of possibilities for 280ZX applications as the Z31 stub axle came in three different varieties: a four-lug hub, a five-lug hub and a five-lug hub that used a vented rotor (which has a thicker wheel mounting flange). Utilizing either the turbo or the non-turbo Z31 companion flange you can use either the ZX CV axles (3 bearing joint) or the stronger Z31 turbo CV axles (with the 5 bearing joint).

Strange but I noticed that the diameter of the ZX stub axle is actually smaller (30mm vs. 32mm) than the first generation 1970-78 Z cars. The Z31 stub axle starts out at a 30mm diameter but then it tapers out to a diameter of 35mm where the wheel flange is. Nice upgrade.

The axles of a z31 fit with no mods, It has the z31 hubs and vented brakes

As you can see the sub frame is mostly re-assembled, it has poly bushing and solids in the sub frame mounts, it has been seam welded. The trailing arms have been seam welded aswel.

The diff is a 3.3 cooled euro turbo diff , running an OBX hlsd( pump is not on this picture but i will update when i mount this on the car)

subframe5.jpg

The rims ill be running will be 17"s 10J the clearance is minimal but enough, measuring on the car does not show problems at this point

( you need to run a brake line from a zx the z31 is to short to reach the hard line)

10j_rim_arm_clearance.jpg

For the front use of a z31 strut you need to extend the arms by 25mm ( or however much you feel suited)

i also run adjustable bushing upfront so i can adjust from 20mm to 30 mm and adjust some of the cars roll center.

Next to that i use 30mm bumb steer spacers

arms_extended.jpg

armen.jpg

These are two strengthened and seam welded front control arms, we measured that they needed a 25 MM extension for my 8,5 to fall within the fenders

What i did is lengthen my 'control' arm with 30MM this is enough to get camber control without your car camber plates being maxed out to either side. or other camber issues! it also set the stance a bit wider.. not a bad thing when body roll comes to play.

with a stock arm you do not get enough camber.

Given if i would put allot of miles on her i would go for 25MM.

smaller.jpg