HybridZ

coilover drop question...with camber plates

i'm gettin ready to order the GC kit along with the TTT camber plates.the front of my car is fine..could go a little lower, the rear is what i'm really lookin to lower. i'm wondering if anyone knows the amount of drop i will get by installing the camber plates and gettin rid of the top strut isolators on my 240? cause what i'm thinkin is the camber plates in the front will give me all the drop i need, thinkin ~2". the rear of the car will give me another ~2" with the plates, and if i need i can remove the spacer pressed on the bottom of the strut and section the rear as needed to get additional drop. i'm not lookin for my floor pan supports to be 3" off the ground...but to give it a good 2-3" drop over stock position. i already have the illuminas for a stock car and want to use those...about how much more of a drop can just the sturts take over the tokico springs and not bottom out?...i did some searching but couldn't find anything in reference to the drop camber plates give.

That's backasswards from the way it usually happens. Are you running really tall rear tires or something?

To answer the question, the camber plates will drop both ends of the car about 1.5". If you had a 280 the rear would drop more like 2.5". This is a rough estimate, so don't hold me to this exactly.

What you should really do is set the ride height where you want it and then see how much suspension travel you have left. Most Z's end up running out of travel in the front long before the rear, which is why your expectation seems wrong to me.

yeah...i don't know what it is...maybe the springs in front..the top coils all sit on each other...and like the bottom 3 are spaced apart...the rear coils are all spaced evenly, progressive vs linear i guess. i mean..the car looks fine just a little higher than i'd like...here's a crappy pic from a few weeks back...still workin on the flares...tires in the rear are a 245/45/16 so not tall..the fronts are a 225/45/16 so close in size.

0912071619.jpg

if the camber plates will give ~1.5" additional drop that'd be good enough for me...and save me from havin to section....i guess i will get it setup without sectioning...get it to desired height...and then measure amount of travel left and go from there...if sectioing is required i will go from there...thanks!

I think that explains it. Sounds like you're running Tokico springs now, so you're almost bottomed out all the time. I think you'll find that if you put some 2.5 ID springs on there the front will sit high, and then to get it down to where you think it looks right you'll be almost out of travel. Read this: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121496

Bottom line is to get the stance you want any lower than you already are I think you really should section the front struts and probably all 4.

so how is the ride quality when you take out the top strut isolators and put in camber plates? since there is a lot less cushion. is it more louder, or more bumpy?

I'm running camber plates. No rubber isolators etc. The ride quality is fine imo. The differnece before and after is barely noticeable. Not really an issue.

so wait, when installing coilovers you don't have to section the struts? i was under the impression that you had to section them to get them to work.

sorry for the hijack.

Sectioning the struts is applicable when the chassis is lowered enough to compromise the travel with stock length struts. The bump travel is what will be compromised on stock struts when lowering the chassis! Hope this clear the air for you a bit.