HybridZ

My new Z, New Member

V8INtheZ

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

link straight to this thread in that thread, please. It makes it easier for us to read the update, then post our reply. :)

EDIT

WOW that oilpan IS low.... I cannot get over the looks of this swap, though. I am not the one who would say its a great idea to drop a four-banger into a Z... but i REALLY REALLY like this swap :D

Keep up the good work.

What are your plans for the oilpan? chop it?

How about upgrading that IHI turbo? Or sticking with it until it is up and running?

Yeah, Im probably going to section the pan and make it wider, and more shallow. That way I still have the same volume of oil, just in a different shape.

The IHI will stay on there until I feel like its time to upgrade. I have several turbos that are bigger and better, but I like the IHI for a street car. It spools up really fast, and makes for a car thats more fun to drive.

• 1 month later...

Another update found here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129211

I went ahead and installed a regular T3 on the engine. The little IHI just wasnt physically big enough for a 3" exhaust. But now I should be able to acheive close to 300 HP at the crank. Its so close, I just need one more solid weekend to work on it, and it should be driving!

25 PSI here we come!

Sweet, progress is looking good.

You know, if you hurry you might make the show on the 29th in vacaville....

;)

I hate to say this, but as much as I love what you're doing, doing a swap that isn't commonly done but is a perfectly valid choice, I find that motor pretty hideous.

Maybe my opinion will change once it gets cleaned up a bit, or when I see it in person.

I hate to say this, but as much as I love what you're doing, doing a swap that isn't commonly done but is a perfectly valid choice, I find that motor pretty hideous.

Maybe my opinion will change once it gets cleaned up a bit, or when I see it in person.

Lol, I never thought about that. I guess they are kinda ugly and plain engines. Its pretty rough right now too. Im going to clean up all the wires and the engine bay soon.

What show are you talking about? I was planning on driving the car to the MSA show in April. I would love to come to a local show as well. I work in Rio Vista, so I could probably bring both my cars to Vacaville.

PS, I found your thread in the Event threads. Im going to go for sure. Thanks for giving me an extra heads up lol.

Yep, they're ugly motors alright; but they're pretty stout. Very strong bottom ends and make gobs of low-end torque for being 4-bangers. My XR4Ti is all stock right now and will remain mostly stock except for the 3" exhaust already on and the LA3 computer (from TurboCoupe) and an intercooler.

You can pretty it up using parts from http://www.40bob.com or http://www.stinger-performance.com/ or ebay. You should totally rotate your intake 90° for performance (less heat on intake and shorter pipes), aesthetics, and ease of working on it. I forget if you mentioned planning to do this.

I'd considered this swap before but when I saw you doing it and realized how tall the motor is, I changed my mind. I'm anxious to know how it works out, though.

One other thing, if I were to put a V6, V8, or I4 in my Z, I would move the radiator closer to the engine and make some ducting. Moving the weight back would be great, you'll have shorter hoses, and you could easily set up ducting for cold air to your air filter without having to cut anything.

Well, I got it running Monday 3-17-08. It wasnt idling very well, so I shut it off, and checked to make sure the spark plug wires were all in tight. Number 1 wire wasnt snapped on all the way. It idles great considering a vacuum leak or two, and I didnt time it yet. :D

Also got my wheels and tires mounted and balanced, and yes theyre super sexy looking. Things are looking good for the Z meet at the end of the month!