HybridZ

Finally POR-15ed

wigenOut-S30

Ok, Por-15 finally came in.. Garrett is in town visiting and he brought his sprayer. We get the engine bay ready and then spray on the POR15. With the kit they give you something called marine clean, then metal ready and then the POR 15. The marine clean is a degreaser and the metal ready eats any loose rust and leaves behind a zinc phosphate coating.. It was neat to watch that stuff work. The POR 15 is crazy thick. my engine bay feels like it is plastic now heh.. I really like the POR 15 product.Today we are going to be spraying the final step in the engine bay. Textured Truck bed coating. Ivo did his engine bay with some a while back and it looked really good.. so I am going to give it a shot.. Here are some pics of what I have so far.

DSC005261.JPG

DSC00528.JPG

DSC00529.JPG

DSC00533.JPG

DSC00534.JPG

DSC005351.JPG

This is the first time I have ever done any body work, painting or any of this. So the results are show quality for sure.. but it sure looks a heck of a lot better then rust holes LOL.. It does feel good to have all the rust from the firewall forward taken care of.

Looks good. I've been using POR-15 on my Z's for years. There product line has increased with newer items that are equally impressive.

Their high heat coatings are great they don't burn off on exhaust parts, a product called metal mask is great for resto work when you want an original metal look like on tie rod ends etc. Metal mask on the steering rack (silver looking).

100_2856.jpg

If that textured undercoating is anything like Herculiner in terms of texture,good luck keeping it clean.I'm thinking of reblasting my engine bay and starting over since the roughness rips apart sponges,and attracts dirt,dust,and grease like a magnet....

Is that finish smooth or textured? I am sure it will hold up since it is for truck beds. I POR15ed my engine bay than coated it with their topcoat black. It looks ok, good enough when the engine will be in. I have actually covered the entire underside of my car and suspension parts in POR15. Not cheap or easy but well worth it when I won't have rust problems down the road. Good job on the work. I wish I had my sprayer when I started this.

Nice looking Scooby!!

Thanks for the comps guys. Right now after 24 hours of the bedliner drying.. It has a chalky texture to it. I am going to wipe it down and see how it looks. I think it will be fine..For sure.. POR15 is awesome.. They have there act togeather!! expencive product but truely amaizing.. I will be ordering from them again.

Nice looking Scooby!!

Thanks for the comps guys. Right now after 24 hours of the bedliner drying.. It has a chalky texture to it. I am going to wipe it down and see how it looks. I think it will be fine..For sure.. POR15 is awesome.. They have there act togeather!! expencive product but truely amaizing.. I will be ordering from them again.

POR-15 the poor man's powder coat! I did my battery tray almost 2 years ago to kill off some surface rust that had started. In Feb I started stripping the engine bay for my LT1 swap. I was using a wire brush on an angle grinder and making short work of the Datsun paint. But when I hit the POR-15 it just laughed at the wire brush. The brush didn't even make a scratch in the POR-15. The longer it sits the harder it gets.

Well, The truck bed coating I used just didnt work so well at all. I could wipe it off with my hands.. Its like it dried in the air on the way to the metal. Soo, I got it all off, and re did it. This time with plasticoats bed liner. This turned out much much better as you can see. I also got seam sealer and sealed all the welds in the engine bay and fender well. I am really happy with the results and now I can put her back togeather. I hope I can find everything lol..

DSC005551.JPG

DSC005561.JPG

DSC00557.JPG

Sorry, that I am coming to this thread late in the process. I want to warn you, that brake fluid will make the bed liner peel off verrry easily ( I found out the hard way too!). Just one small leak or overfill from you clutch or brake master would be a cosmetic disaster. As you may have already learned, the Por-15 finish is much easier to maintain and keep clean than the bed liner, for you engine bay application.

In any case... The only way the bedliner would have longevity, would be to install as recommended by the manufacturer. That means you need to scuff the surface with a minimum of 60 grit to give the bed liner some "tooth". This would defeat the use of the Por-15 underneath if you were to scratch the ♥♥♥♥ out of it to allow the bed-liner to stick. Bed liner likes to stick to raw metal best.