HybridZ

Does anyone reconize this early 2-barrell intake manifold?

Guest KEVGIB

Hello,

I uncovered this manifold from some old Z parts I had. It came with a collection of things that I don't remember much about the history. Did the early Japanese L20 motors come with a 2-barrel manifold and if not does anyone know which early L-series motor this may belong to?

Thanks...

DSC08151_thumb.JPG

DSC08149_thumb.JPG

Yes, some did. Note: These six cylinder engines were called a L20A to distinguish them from the L20B (four cylinder) engine.

Thanks Steve for sharing some of your vast experience to help better understand what this mysterious manifold was likely connected to.

Hmmmm.. interesting. What does the bore of the runners look like on these manifolds? probably too narrow to bother with, but if its larger than the stock FI manifold runner...... might be worth investigating possibilities with those things (IE, remove flange, replace with huge by large TB :))

There are two 4 barrel manifolds already out there in production. Seems a lot of people feel the down draft design is flawed and doesn't perform well. Although the Arizona Z Car manifold seems to produce some fairly decent numbers. Converting a 2 barrel manifold to a bigger 4 barrel or otherwise probably wouldn't be worth it given there's already the 4 barrel option out there.

There are two 4 barrel manifolds already out there in production. Seems a lot of people feel the down draft design is flawed and doesn't perform well. Although the Arizona Z Car manifold seems to produce some fairly decent numbers. Converting a 2 barrel manifold to a bigger 4 barrel or otherwise probably wouldn't be worth it given there's already the 4 barrel option out there.

My thought was to use the manifold as stock for a cheap FI manifold; cut off the flanges on either side, replace with an FI flange and a throttle body.. I am a packrat always on the scour for junk that may be recyclable in less-than-orthodox ways... so maybe the idea was a bit eccentric, but I had to ask:icon54: