HybridZ

What coil will work tack, and support big boost?

big-phil

This has been a thorn in my side. I've searched over and over. I've wired up several combinations on MS to drive my tach with no luck.

I have a Mallory E type coil. It will not work my tack when hooked to the neg side. When I hook up my stock coil my tack works perfect. Also when I hook up an old big yellow Accell super coil my tach works perfect.

The problem:

The stock coil, and the Accell super coil cut out at high boost (18-20lbs) My Mallory E-coil runs like a champ and the car pulls strong, and smooth.

My question:

Who has a coil that will support high boost and is hooked to their tach and the tach works perfect?

Thats the coil I want to buy.

Mario beat me by a few seconds there...but I've never tried using MS to drive my coil as shown in those diagrams.

I'm just running the FIDLE to my MSD box (only option available back when I first set this stuff up.) I was using an aftermarket tach to read the MSD output, but I'm about to try and switch back to the factory tach using the tach adapter.

Have you had any problems with the VB921? I read enough posts where people were frying it to make me leery of recommending that route to people.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123341&highlight=msd+tach

I don't know squat about megasquirt, but sounds like all you need is a stronger trigger. So if the MSD part doesn't work perhaps you can contact bryan01 and see about getting the adapter he made.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8918&autoview=sku

Mario beat me by a few seconds there...but I've never tried using MS to drive my coil as shown in those diagrams.

I'm just running the FIDLE to my MSD box (only option available back when I first set this stuff up.) I was using an aftermarket tach to read the MSD output, but I'm about to try and switch back to the factory tach using the tach adapter.

Have you had any problems with the VB921? I read enough posts where people were frying it to make me leery of recommending that route to people.

I've replaced it but only because I had something set wrong in MS and fried it. Its been running great for a long time now.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123341&highlight=msd+tach

I don't know squat about megasquirt, but sounds like all you need is a stronger trigger. So if the MSD part doesn't work perhaps you can contact bryan01 and see about getting the adapter he made.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8918&autoview=sku

Now this might work. Thanks guys!

Just buy a 5" aftermarket tach and put it in the stock location... It has a faster response rate. Sounds like that might be your only option. I personally used my output from my msd box so can't help.

I want to keep the stock guages. But if it comes to that, thats what I'll do.

Thumper, I don't know what year tach you're talking about, but I have noticed that the response rate in the 77/78 tach is much better than the 76 (and I assume earlier.) Using the Crane Cams Hi-6 rpm test mode you can watch it snap to the correct reading very quickly, whereas the 76 is slower and bouncy. I prefer the stock tach, too (it has my blinker lights built in) so I'm going to try and ditch the aftermarket tach if possible.

Let me know how it goes Phil!

Thumper, I don't know what year tach you're talking about, but I have noticed that the response rate in the 77/78 tach is much better than the 76 (and I assume earlier.) Using the Crane Cams Hi-6 rpm test mode you can watch it snap to the correct reading very quickly, whereas the 76 is slower and bouncy. I prefer the stock tach, too (it has my blinker lights built in) so I'm going to try and ditch the aftermarket tach if possible.

Let me know how it goes Phil!

I am comparing my aftermarket autometer to my stock tach out of my 74' 260z. The autometer was much faster and more accurate. With the stock tach in first gear it was almost 400rpms behind and 100-300rpms inaccurate even in 4th gear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...